What's new

What's the best way to hang your DIY projector screen? (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Any suggestions? Assembly is approx 100"x58" (96"x54" screen) with black felt border. Made with 1x4" Poplar. Looking to minimize the number of screws on the wall while avoiding wire.

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
I used aluminum channel iron on the wall and on the screen frame. This allows you to hang the screen very level and you can also move the screen left and right if need be and take it down very easy.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
or so-called 'museum strips.' Looks good for semipermenant hangs, but can be ugly when you take it down for storage.

Anyway, they're pretty simple if you have a decent table-saw. Take another 1x4, cut it in half with a 45° angle on the blade. Screw one half to the wall, screw the mating half to your screen. Add another scrap of 1xsomething across the bottom (either on the screen or the wall,) to keep the screen flush.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Screen officially complete but not yet mounted.

I would like to do the 45 degree French Cleat, but seeing as I don't have access to or room for a table saw... (Does Home Depot or Menards offer this service?)

If not,

Where do I get "Aluminum Channel Iron?" Screen Door section??

Thanks.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I used heavy duty picture hangers. Cheap, effective, and minimal holes in the wall. Easy to hang and remove the screen too.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, mine turned out a bit heavier than I expected to try that one. I should not have used the poplar.

Anyway, I think I have a solution.
1) Laser Line Level that implants self into wall
2) "Tuff Stuff" 80" rails

Found these in the rails in the storage area at both Menards and Home Depot. They are made for creating instant shelving with an angled edge to hook onto a matching vertical arm. I'm going to use two of these, one on wall and one on the screen. Should be easy to remove and place screen as need be to perhaps open the windows every now and then. Just finished raising the curtains 4" to accomodate having the entire screen above the Bay Window ledge. If it's not too late tomorrow when I get home, hopefully I'll be able get it done in just a few more hours.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It's up and near perfectly level!!!!!!

:D

Thanks for the aluminum tip!!!! Not the same product, but the same idea and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks