What's new

What's the best sub for under $500 dollars? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I preferred the SVS to the digm myself....but thats me:) And I use digm studios..set wasn't complete without a svs:)...Its your ears your out to please...I'd try and get a few of these to test...grab a local, and grab a svs..for 20-30 bucks shipped it would be worth it to see what they are all about. Many have bought before listening, and I bought 2 that way...glad I did...one wasn't cheap:)

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
For less than $500 delivered, I think the Rava is in a category unto itself.

I own one. I like it. A lot.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I own a HSU VTF-2 so I'm biased. But, I can recommend a couple of other subs out there. The Intimus S-10 made by Aperion Audio and the Adire Rava both come in at under $500 shipped. The Rava is better for music and the Intimus superior for movies. Paradigm can't compete at this price point and you'll be well over $600 if you go SVS.

I own an AViC ONyX GRAViTON. It has been on sale for $500 for the past week or so. Regular price is $600. Once you break it in, it is an excellent subwoofer with zero compromises. You also get a 5 year warranty, 6 years if you buy it with a subwoofer cable.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
You'll be well over 600 bucks with a SVS? come on now...you can pick up a 16-46 cs+ for 525 bucks right now in B-stock...for 575 shipped you can get the 25-31 pci...I think you should look before you speak Peter. :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
OK...got it. But even then it has to have pre-ins and some good power to get the best out of that CS+.

Be much better off getting the b-stock PCi, or my preference, the VTF-2.

Or wait until Hsu's STF series is available.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
But even then it has to have pre-ins and some good power to get the best out of that CS+.
Pre in's? Find me a receiver that doesn't have a CD input...it will do the same thing.:emoji_thumbsup: As for good power, I've had GREAT results with an Optimus (Radioshack brand name that came after Realistic) receiver pumping out a grand total of 75watts. ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I second what Steve F M says (cs 20-39 H F/S section) unless you wanted to go new,it would still be within your budget. If you could stretch your budget a little?> I would go with a powered pci SVS or a 25-31cs+,,,20-39cs+ would be my first choice. We are talking good, clean, best bang for your dollar bass $$ can buy here aside from DIY.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Pre in's? Find me a receiver that doesn't have a CD input...it will do the same thing. As for good power, I've had GREAT results with an Optimus (Radioshack brand name that came after Realistic) receiver pumping out a grand total of 75watts.
Got me on that...I wasn't thinking. You are running a CS+ off of that?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
You are running a CS+ off of that?
No, I've run a Dayton DVC 12" and one of SVS's original drivers. Both with great results. I don't see the + woofer causing a problem. Also, SVS has recommended using spare receivers for a long time.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

The most cost effective solution from SVS would be a 25-31CS tuned to 22hz matched with a spare receiver. You should also be able to find a 250 watt amp at PE to match with the 25-31cs and still be around $500. There's really no/little benefit in going with the CS+ series with under 250w.

As far as a *plug and play* (powered) SVS model

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hey guys !

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm having a great time reading them. George is right - I had LaMarcus over with his SVS at a recent HT meet and it WAS outstanding.

It had so much deep bass in my room that I was afraid my wife's china was going to come down over in the Dining room!

I have a small Dev Tech sub in my main room with Studio 40, CC and ADP's. This really gives as much impact as the house can take upstairs.

I'm finishing up my basement now. The carpet was laid last night.

Here's my equipment:

Upstairs:

Pioneer Elite 45TX
Pioneer Elite 7000 DVR
Toshiba 57HDX82
Paradigm Studio 40
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm Studio ADP
Def Tech Pro 100

Downstairs:

Pioneer Elite 41TX
ADCOM 545 AMP
Toshiba DVD Player
Pioneer Speakers in Front
Bose Rear Surrounds
Sonance Symphony in ceilings for surrond back
TV will be Sony 35 inch with a PJ X1 to follow soon after.

You can see this is a hodgepodge of older equipment.

I orginally was going to take the Def Tech sub downstairs but its really fine for the upstairs. I'm afraid it would be way to small for my basement. I've enclosed about 900 ft2.

I do have some budget limitations 'cause my wife is putting a can of whup___ on me now for expenditures.

Tom V: If I use an the old Onkyo recevier I have for now with the passive sub...(until I get another amp)...how do I set or optimize the volume controls on the receiver or will I be messing with it all the time?

Thanks for everyone's input.:)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks