What's new

What's the best sub for under $500 dollars? (1 Viewer)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
What's the best sub for under $500 dollars? Just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks

Mike

george king

Supporting Actor
Give Brian Bunge at Link Removed and see what he can do for you. He will build you a great sub to your realistic expectations (no way you are going to get 120 dB at 20 Hz for $500), and budget.

He is a great guy, and a true craftsman. I have bought several things from him, and when some money comes in he will be building me a sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the budget can stretch a bit, look at SVS 25-31PCi.

HSU VTF-2 right at the $500 point. I haven't heard the Rava, but it gets very good reviews as well.

If you are interested in custom built, I will second Brian's work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The JBL 120 mkII is also a very good unit that was at $389-399 last I checked on the net. You can start off with one unit, than add a second down the road and for $800ish have a pretty serious bass setup.

Tom V.
SVS

NicholasL

Second Unit
Well yeah, Cerwin Vega isn't SVS good no way. I own the PB2+ and it's no comparison. But we're talking under $500 now.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hey TV..If you don't want to tell'em the truth, you always have someone who will:)--->b-stock :)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I do have a receiver collecting dust - so I'll check the passive model out.

Appreciate all the sugestions..........Are the Paradigm subs any good. PDR 10 or 12?

Thanks again....

Mike

TommyL

Supporting Actor
SVS will take them out...try the svs..you'll be happy you did:) *two time repeat customer..*

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
There was a extensive list posted by Frank Carter a few days ago that would give you a good idea how the CS SVS passive cylinder rates out compared to other subs. If you should take a peak at the list remember this is a SVS entry level sub of sorts. I think it was number 5 on a list as long as a roll of TP.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I'm assuming form the info on the table that we are looking for a similar output in db at each given freq range. Plus, just the overall avg output being high if one need that much.

But, I'm really lost on how to read the information.

How do I read this?
115.3 / 16hz~99dB__25hz~106dB

Great info! Thanks All

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

All these subs were taken under the same conditions and using the same methods by Tom Nousaine. He places the subwoofers in the same corner of a 7600ft^3 room and measures from 2M away. He finds the 10% distortion limit at 25/31/40/50/63hz and averages them together to give you the first number(115.3dB), the numbers afterwards is the SPL he reached at the frequency using a 10% limit.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Appreciate all the sugestions..........Are the Paradigm subs any good. PDR 10 or 12?
While I didn't demo them at home, I listened to the Paradigms at a local dealer. They seemed a bit boomy or sloppy. Definitely not as nice sounding as the Hsu VTF-2 I ended up buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks