What's new

What's the best quality version of Zulu? (1 Viewer)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
From everything I've read the Criterion Laser Disc is the way to go. I've heard the DVD versions are just bad.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
The Criterion version on LD is about as good as LDs get considering the age of the film. They should get the lisence for a DVD version. "Zulu Dawn" would be nice too.
------------------

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The DVD I have isn't totally awful, and it's widescreen, but it's certainly no advert for the superior quality of DVD. I think the best that can be said is that it's like watching a really good quality VHS tape. FWIW, there have been rumours of a R2 disc for quite some time. I've got mine on advance order (curiously enough, I was just checking up on it before reading this thread).

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I have the Front Row widescreen DVD and had, for a while, the Platinum Entertainment disc. (N.B. As far as I know, neither of these is a bootleg. If I'm misinformed, administrators, please feel free to delete this post.)
Both are obviously sourced from the Criterion laserdisc of Zulu -- which I now also have. There are white dirt marks (of the sort seen on LD players) and some noticeable pauses at the side-changes.
Both discs look poor (pallid colours and obvious line structure) but not unwatchable. I thought the Front Row edition was marginally better in quality: it'll hold me until there's a decent legitimate release of this great film.
hth,
doug
------------------
"How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
pretty good explanation..."
--James Woods, on The Simpsons

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The pan and scan DVD is terrible! However, the widescreen DVD isn't bad, and is most likely sourced from the Criterion LD. It's also available for around $5 in the U.S. (I don't know what that means to a British consumer). MGM, however, is supposedly coming out with a "definitive" brand new anamorphic widescreen transfer in a year or so, so you might want to wait. Now if somebody would just release the very underrated Zulu Dawn, one of my favorite films, I'd be very, very happy.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
As I mentioned on another thread, a UK magazine has reported that a new edition of "Zulu" (plus "Alfie" and - finally!! - "The Italian Job") is being prepared for 2002 release. Michael Caine's participation on the extras is being sought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks