What's new

What's so great about High-Def. discs? (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
You appear to be suffering from the "where's my flying car" syndrome. As you are willing to hook up your PC to your display, you already have the means to do what you want--rip your data to hard drive (even HDM can be done if you look around). Moreover, you are making contradictory points. You decry the "many discs" and yet you cite their importance soon after. If you want the "superdisc" (all of Star Trek in HD on one disc, for example), you will still face the problem of what happens if it breaks or is lost. So you want both the "superdisc" and a way to make a back up on some sort of hard drive for your HTPC? That's just an unrealistic expectation. The market economy works by responding to demands, but the demands have either to fulfill a need OR people have to be convinced of the need (even if it really isn't one at all). Neither case applies to your complaint. The number of people who have THOUSANDS of discs is far smaller than hanging around here (and similar fora) would suggest. So the need to shrink the volume of space necessary to store the discs is not sufficient to create a demand for "superdiscs". Furthermore, it is not cost/profit effective for manufacturers to aggressively pursue such a product and convince people they need it (it's hard enough to convince people they "need" HDM in its current format(s) with any serious success).

I'm afraid what you want is not going to happen anytime soon.

Real Name
Benjamin
Just a sad note, since this thread makes me remember something that I regret even today.

Two decades ago, when I was recording things that were (and will never be) available again (or in a better way), I was forced to use the worst way of recording my VHS tapes, instead of the SP quality (2 hours). I knew the SP mode was better, but I didn't care.

I never realize that everything was going to vanish for good (another reason to make backups of anything you got, unless you have a way to access a free worldwide "movie library" with all your needs, and that way you don't need to collect anything.).

I was dumb that time and never realized that one day was going to regret my decision (since many things are not being showed anymore on TV), that was pure economic. That's right, VHS tapes were far more expensive than a single DVD-R. And recording things on SP was a bad choice mainly because of the risk of not have enough space. Some VCRs didn't have support to the LP (4 hours) format.

However, even in the old days we were used to record different things and programs on a single tape (if we were using the EP/6 hours quality). The diversity of things you were able to record on a single tape was a trademark of that time.

Now we don't have to record anything that is available for sell, packaged the way the companies want it. We might convert our old VHS tapes to DVD. But we can't buy new High-Def. recordable media yet, it's very expensive compared to Hard Disk drives and even DVD-R discs.

And we can't use our HDDs to store anything we have, they don't have enough space since we are already using to store many movies, musics and other stuff, even compressed, might be downloaded videos you're watching when you have time.

So, one problem is solved. No more lack of space to record something retaining the best image/sound quality (a huge issue those days). Even by using a capture card (instead of a DVD-recorder that retains some quality only if you use the same 2/2.5 hours on a single media/4.7 GB). However, we exchanged one problem for another.

But hey, what the hell!

Nevermind.

It's useless to keep fighting against ideas and concepts forced over many years by all companies. The damage is already done. I have to live with that.

Resistance is futile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks