What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
and it made want to see the whole series again.
Like I said, I am enjoying seeing the characters again and I'm really looking forward to Desmond in Season 2. This time, I know that some of the questions will not be addressed (at least to my satisfaction) and some of the story elements dead end, so I'm watching it more for the characters and the drama of the situations. We've watched the first 16 episodes of Season 1 to date and will probably knock out ...In Translation and Numbers this weekend.

About the only problem my buddy has had with the series so far has been some aspects of Locke. A little too mysterious and he called BS on Boone slavishly following Locke after being drugged. He really likes Sawyer and compares him to Pope on Falling Skies (which is fairly apt.) Curious to see his reaction to the Hatch and beyond. He is looking forward to the appearance of Michael Emerson in season two; as he knows him from Person of Interest. I explained that he is kind of like an evil version of Finch (on POI.)

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My problem with "Lost" (a show I loved, by the way), wasn't really the final episode, it was the final season's "sideways" flash structure. I think the writers got addicted to telling stories with flashes, and held to that even when it no longer contributed to the story. It made sense to have the flashbacks in the early seasons to fill in our knowledge of the characters, and the flash forwards in the later seasons also did a fantastic job of covering a lot of ground in a little time. But the difference between those and the sideways is that the flashbacks and the flash forwards all cover things that actually happened, while half of season six is devoted to flash sideways that never happened, and aren't part of either the mystery the characters faced, or revealing about the characters themselves. That felt like a cheat to me, and I was disappointed with that final reveal. I wish the final season had focused exclusively on the "present" of the characters on the island, or had added a couple more mystery backstory episodes (like "Ab Aeterno" and "Across The Sea") that added to the richness of the island and its history.

To me, a big part of what I liked about "Lost" was how it had a theme that was sort of "it's not all about you" or "there are things going on that are bigger than you" - first each of the individuals learns that they need to be more than just an individual, and that the survival of the group is more important, and then as they stay on the island longer, they begin to understand that this island is worth protecting, and that it's mysteries are greater and more consequential than any of their individual lives. To me, the finale (and the final season's flash sideways) were kind of a betrayal of that, or at least a side-stepping of it, as if the show at the end was saying, "nope, it was really all about them". But I think the finale itself was a good episode, and it was the logical, fitting and perhaps only conclusion for the story as they decided to tell it from the beginning of that final season. Any faults I have with the last episode are faults I have with the entire structure of that season.

Then again, one of the things I love about "Lost" is how it's different things to different people, so what I take from it, what I enjoy most from it, may be what you like the least. The plot points most interesting to me might be the most inconsequential to someone else. I know a lot of people love the first season and consider it the best; I barely made it through the first season, because I really cared more about the island and it's mysteries than the individuals trapped there. For a lot of other people, I think they had the exact opposite reaction.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched a little Twin Peaks, and the last two of the classic Apes movies, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
On Saturday I watched the Zone B Blu-ray disc of The Quiller Memorandum, a film I've always liked.

Yesterday I watched The Ipcress File which, I believe, is the first film where Michael Caine was the main star. (I'd love to have Funeral In Berlin on Blu-ray)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not sure how much free time I'll have this weekend. I know Muppets Most Wanted is coming and some other discs that have been requested might also show up. Still, it would be nice to finally get to Smaug after all these weeks of waiting, and American Hustle comes on Starz tonight which I will record to view at some point.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
most recently i just went through everythying michael mann directed including the earlier works available on youtube. i didn't realize heat was a remake of la takedown.

meanwhile i'm on his latest project 'luck' that lasted only 1 season

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm a little stumped for what to watch this weekend.

Hopefully some more "Twin Peaks". My girlfriend and I watched "The Empire Strikes Back" during the week so we might get to "Return Of The Jedi".

I also ordered "Pompeii" from the 3D Blu-ray rental site, if that shows up this weekend I'll check it out. I had gifted my mother a copy of Twilight Time's "Rollerball" disc and she just finished with it, so I've got that on loan and will try to check it out.

Maybe the original "Ninja Turtles" movie since the new one is out?

I'm at a little bit of a loss for once.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Terminator 2: Judgement Day on 4E+1 tonight. The transfer almost looks better than the bluray on a few scenes with the colour but not 100%. Recoded the last 40 mins of it.
Presented in scope Super35 2.35:1, PCM Dolby Stereo.

Sad ending to the film, thumbs up as he goes into the heated steel and melts away... One of the best sequels. :thumbs-up-smiley: It sucks when end credits are speed up at x5 speed, Best end credits is the DOLBY STEREO SR, and CDS logos.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
andySu said:
Terminator 2: Judgement Day on 4E+1 tonight. The transfer almost looks better than the bluray on a few scenes with the colour but not 100%. Recoded the last 40 mins of it.
Presented in scope Super35 2.35:1, PCM Dolby Stereo.

Sad ending to the film, thumbs up as he goes into the heated steel and melts away... One of the best sequels. :thumbs-up-smiley: It sucks when end credits are speed up at x5 speed, Best end credits is the DOLBY STEREO SR, and CDS logos.
The Blu-ray is one of the very few THX Certified BDs.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Wayne_j said:
The transfer is terrible, tons of DNR.
Sorry. I meant the audio. Sounds good on a properly set up 7.1 system. "Tons of DNR"; Patton (1st pressing) had tons of DNR, this is hardly that bad.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
I saw Deepsea Challenge (the new documentary about James Cameron's dive to the Mariana Trench) today.
How was it? I'm really curious to see it. The local newspaper have it a scathing review but nothing in the review changed my mind about seeing it. (I got the sense that the reviewer just can't stand Cameron, period, perhaps making them not the ideal choice to review it.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
How was it? I'm really curious to see it. The local newspaper have it a scathing review but nothing in the review changed my mind about seeing it. (I got the sense that the reviewer just can't stand Cameron, period, perhaps making them not the ideal choice to review it.)
It's not as good as Ghosts Of The Abyss but it's on par with his other documentaries. I'm sure the review that you read says how he's just telling himself how great he is for 90 minutes (and that would be a fair criticism) but as an unabashed fan of James Cameron, I look at the movie as celebrating a guy who has done some really incredible things with his life and literally risked his life for a scientific pursuit (how many people- not just Hollywood millionaires- would do that?). Plus, I like to think that, similar to the 1960's Cousteau TV specials, all the docs that Cameron's been involved with will be something that helps inspire kids to go into the sciences some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks