What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Star Wars Episode 4 (Blu-ray - DTS HD Master Audio)
The Hunt For Red October (Blu-ray - Dolby True HD)
Wizard Of Oz (Blu-ray)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did get around to The Barretts of Wimpole Street last weekend, and though the DVD is certainly watchable, this is one of those Warner Archive releases that would need a very costly restoration to bring it up to par. It's so sad when one realizes these are the best materials available for such a classic film.

Unless the avalanche of August releases begins coming in today, I should have enough free time this weekend to get to Eddie Cantor's Whoopee, a film I don't think I've ever seen in its entirety, so I'm looking forward to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
I did get around to The Barretts of Wimpole Street last weekend, and though the DVD is certainly watchable, this is one of those Warner Archive releases that would need a very costly restoration to bring it up to par. It's so sad when one realizes these are the best materials available for such a classic film.

Unless the avalanche of August releases begins coming in today, I should have enough free time this weekend to get to Eddie Cantor's Whoopee, a film I don't think I've ever seen in its entirety, so I'm looking forward to it.
As mediocre that DVD is, it looks better than how it looked beforehand on my previous TV viewings of this film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Watched two movies on Friday - "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" in Blu-ray 3D (the 2008 Brendan Frasier version), followed by the 1994 classic "Timecop" streaming from Vudu. I don't think I was really in the right mood for either, but I enjoyed "Timecop" a lot more than "Journey". (I really liked "Journey" a lot more the first two times I saw it, so I don't know if it was a matter of diminishing returns or if it was just me.)

Last night I watched the Criterion Blu-ray disc of "For All Mankind". I think I got that during the B&N 50% off sale two years ago, but finally got around to watching it. Stunning film. Some of the footage of the astronauts doing spacewalks had me more riveted and at the edge of my seat than the 3D effects in "Gravity". I can't believe it took me this long to see that movie. Highly recommended for anyone interested in space exploration and/or history and/or science.

Might watch "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" tonight as I'm seeing "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" tomorrow.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I watched Under the Skin, Her and Don Jon this weekend...

Under the Skin was just odd. See it, you must.

Her was as good as I expected.

Don Jon was mindless fun.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A ScarJo film festival at Sam's house...and I wasn't invited???
Tapping%20Foot.gif

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I just received a whole batch of Warner Archive DVD's that I believe will never see a BD release, so this weekend will be devoted to them:

Above Suspicion (Fred MacMurray and Joan Crawford)
The Shop Around the Corner (James Stewart)
George Washington Slept Here (Jack Benny)
The Horn Blows at Midnight (Jack Benny)
Footsteps in the Dark (Errol Flynn)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson)

Plus, I hope my copy of Fox's DVD of 13 Rue Madeleine (James Cagney) arrives in time to watch this weekend as well.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
atfree said:
I just received a whole batch of Warner Archive DVD's that I believe will never see a BD release, so this weekend will be devoted to them:

Above Suspicion (Fred MacMurray and Joan Crawford)
The Shop Around the Corner (James Stewart)
George Washington Slept Here (Jack Benny)
The Horn Blows at Midnight (Jack Benny)
Footsteps in the Dark (Errol Flynn)
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson)

Plus, I hope my copy of Fox's DVD of 13 Rue Madeleine (James Cagney) arrives in time to watch this weekend as well.
And I forgot the DVD of Beau Geste (1939) I received yesterday.....busy weekend coming up!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This will be one of those weekends I'll be busy reviewing upcoming releases. Today will be Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I plan to spend part of Saturday and Sunday doing the combination of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad/Fun & Fancy Free. Don't know that I'll have time for much leisure viewing apart from the occasional TV episode.

I did get to Whoopee! last weekend. That 1930 musical looks far better than it has any right to look. Too bad the Marx Bros. movies from around the same time of production (The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers) don't look nearly as good on their DVDs.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
spending my weekend out of town , going to spend it in a little place called Twin Peaks, looking forward to a damn good cup of coffee and amazing slice or two of pie, anyone want to Fire Walk With Me?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Matt:

Whoopee? With Eddie Cantor? Is that a recent WAC release? And it looks pretty good, you say?

I NEED to pay more attention to the Warner Archives releases (if that's the case). Has The Eddie Cantor Story ever been released?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
Matt:

Whoopee? With Eddie Cantor? Is that a recent WAC release? And it looks pretty good, you say?

I NEED to pay more attention to the Warner Archives releases (if that's the case). Has The Eddie Cantor Story ever been released?
Yes, and it's been out for awhile. It has the two-strip Technicolor and everything.

FalconEPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raaj Vakil
Gonna watch on my Sony 3-D Viewer Glasses connected via HDMI to Region Free 3-D BR Player :)

Need for Speed 3-D
Noah
Raid 2
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Maybe only 2 of the above as you can't wear that thing for so many hours :-(

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Currently revisiting (with a good friend)...

Season 1 of Arrow
Season 2 of Fringe
Season 1 of Lost

All revisits for me, and new viewings for my friend. I absolutely detested the finale of Lost so I'm approaching the series with a different mindset this time. It has been pretty enjoyable seeing all of the characters again.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
I absolutely detested the finale of Lost so I'm approaching the series with a different mindset this time. It has been pretty enjoyable seeing all of the characters again.
I loved Lost from start to finish but I've seen a number of people who have warmed to (or at least didn't hate) the ending on a second viewing. A few days ago, I saw the Lost 10th anniversary 'highlight reel' that played at Comic Con and it made want to see the whole series again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks