What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've successfully caught up on all my TV shows in the last two days: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Amazing Race, Shield, Sleepy Hollow. Managed to see Frozen yesterday and 12 Years a Slave today. Planning on Dallas Buyers Club tomorrow.And I'm trying to make it through The Little Mermaid. I'm started the movie twice now and fallen asleep within ten minutes. (Sure, I turn it on at 1 am, but that shouldn't matter!)

And the first five episodes of TNG Season 5...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
NASHVILLE will be this weekends big feature and the followed by a couple of the Danny Kaye WAC titles. Not sure which.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I certainly had no time last weekend for any leisure viewing, but it appears I may have a spare moment on Saturday to watch something, probably Obsession.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm aiming for my third movie in three days tonight (The Guilt Trip via Netflix) and then Out of the Furnace on Saturday. I really want to get to either Desk Set or Ghost and Mrs. Muir this weekend, too. I need to finish my Christmas shopping, so that may not happen. I'll for sure get caught up on all my TV shows this weekend too (Amazing Race, How I Met Your Mother, Arrow, etc.).

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Tomorrow I was gonna watch the latest Pokemon movie, "Genesect and the Legend Awakened," since the disc just arrived, but then I remembered it's December 7th, so I'm gonna watch TORA! TORA! TORA! instead. :D

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Vic Pardo said:
Tomorrow I was gonna watch the latest Pokemon movie, "Genesect and the Legend Awakened," since the disc just arrived, but then I remembered it's December 7th, so I'm gonna watch TORA! TORA! TORA! instead. :D
Watching Tora! Tora! Tora! right now as I compose this post.
Yes, there are some issues with the film itself, but to me they're few and far between.
It's still my favorite Pearl Harbor movie, and the Blu Ray is outstanding.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Vic Pardo said:
I wound up watching my DVD of IN HARM'S WAY (1965) instead, a film I'd never seen from start to finish in one sitting before. I was quite impressed with it. Directed by Otto Preminger, It's more of a human drama against a backdrop of war, rather than a combat film, but it does open with Pearl Harbor. (Hugh O'Brian has an unbilled cameo as an early victim.) It's got an all-star cast and was shot entirely in Hawaii and at sea on board seven different naval craft. John Wayne plays his patented tough, but compassionate commander and I think it's one of his best acting jobs. He has a tender, adult romance with Patricia Neal as a nurse lieutenant, echoing their relationship in an earlier Pacific War-themed movie, OPERATION PACIFIC (1951). Wayne's co-star is Kirk Douglas, who goes native at one point and lets his beard grow, making him look like Vincent Van Gogh. Also on hand: Burgess Meredith, Henry Fonda (a two-scene cameo), Dana Andrews, Franchot Tone, Patrick O'Neal, Tom Tryon, Paula Prentiss, George Kennedy, Carroll O'Connor, Jill Haworth and, in an interesting turn as Wayne's estranged son, Brandon de Wilde.

It's not as overwrought as other films on the subject, but simply lets the stories of these characters play out as the war progresses behind them. A classical Hollywood narrative, with a few adult touches added, courtesy of its time. Great understated score by Jerry Goldsmith also.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Vic Pardo said:
I wound up watching my DVD of IN HARM'S WAY (1965) instead, a film I'd never seen from start to finish in one sitting before. I was quite impressed with it. Directed by Otto Preminger, It's more of a human drama against a backdrop of war, rather than a combat film, but it does open with Pearl Harbor. (Hugh O'Brian has an unbilled cameo as an early victim.) It's got an all-star cast and was shot entirely in Hawaii and at sea on board seven different naval craft. John Wayne plays his patented tough, but compassionate commander and I think it's one of his best acting jobs. He has a tender, adult romance with Patricia Neal as a nurse lieutenant, echoing their relationship in an earlier Pacific War-themed movie, OPERATION PACIFIC (1951). Wayne's co-star is Kirk Douglas, who goes native at one point and lets his beard grow, making him look like Vincent Van Gogh. Also on hand: Burgess Meredith, Henry Fonda (a two-scene cameo), Dana Andrews, Franchot Tone, Patrick O'Neal, Tom Tryon, Paula Prentiss, George Kennedy, Carroll O'Connor, Jill Haworth and, in an interesting turn as Wayne's estranged son, Brandon de Wilde.

It's not as overwrought as other films on the subject, but simply lets the stories of these characters play out as the war progresses behind them. A classical Hollywood narrative, with a few adult touches added, courtesy of its time. Great understated score by Jerry Goldsmith also.
I did a longer write-up on IN HARM'S WAY on my blog:

http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com

With pix:

11282779375_e4d34c8080.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was too busy last weekend to get any leisure viewing done apart from catching up with TV, but I did find one evening during the week to get to Obsession. I hadn't seen it since its theatrical release in the 1970s, so it was very nice to see it again.

Going to be busy today and tomorrow, too, but right now Sunday looks open, and I WILL get to Rebel Without a Cause if that's the case. Really looking forward to seeing it in high definition.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aside from Hobbit tomorrow morning, I don't know if I'll be watching anything. Between finishing shopping, having company tomorrow night and getting an order for 2 hats/2 scarves AND leaving for vacation on Thursday, it might be a very slim pickings weekend.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Heavy into Christmas viewing. Some things I will hold off for next weekend when my boys are here. But plenty to sit and watch.Plus I haven't yet watched the live Sound Of Music.Plus will probably see The Hobbit on Sunday

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
David Weicker said:
Heavy into Christmas viewing. Some things I will hold off for next weekend when my boys are here. But plenty to sit and watch.Plus I haven't yet watched the live Sound Of Music.Plus will probably see The Hobbit on Sunday
I just learned that the new "Sound of Music" is being shown again tomorrow night (Sat. Dec. 14) on NBC at 8PM.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Like David I enjoy watching christmas movies this time of year. Tonight I'll be viewing a couple of old favorites "Holiday Affair" with Bob Mitchum and Janet Leigh and of course "White Christmas". Also I'm still working my way through "Naked City" - and loving every minute of it!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did get around to Rebel Without a Cause last week, and it was by far the best that movie has ever looked on home video. Really enjoyed seeing this again, and the bonus features were nice too seeing Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo as grown-ups remembering working with James Dean. They are all missed so much.

I'll be watching a succession of holiday favorites this weekend squeezed between holiday parties and sleep. I started White Christmas last night, but only got through the "Mandy" number. Will hopefully finish it today. Also up for viewing: Scrooge, A Christmas Story, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Christmas.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
For Christmas season viewing, don't forget The Nativity Story. It's low key and realistic approach is very effective. While on a religious subject, it isn't a church-sponsored film (released by New Line and directed by Catherine Hardwicke between "Lords of Dogtown" and "Twilight"). It also brings to the fore someone who usually gets short shrift: Joseph.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We started watching Veronica Mars Season 3 tonight. North by Northwest is sitting on the table for tomorrow...but that's probably going to be it. The run up to Christmas (and travel) is brutal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks