What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
First time viewing of The Place Beyond The Pines on Blu-Ray this past weekend. This film got beat up a little bit in the HTF Blu-Ray review thread, but I for one found it to be very well made and enjoyed it a great deal. I can say that the film honestly surprised me several times and I thought the performances were uniformly excellent. I can see a nugget of the criticism of the film in terms of its ambitions, but for me the emotional resonance generated by the situations mostly worked. I have not seen the director's previous work Blue Valentine but based on this film it will get a viewing at some future date. I also thought that the film's score worked extremely well in setting the mood of the film.

Viewed with my friend on Saturday and a couple more episodes of season 2 of Prison Break.

Mostly watched football on Sunday - Texans / Titans, Broncos / Giants, Seahawks / 49ers.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll be spending much of the weekend on the Ingrid Bergman box set from Criterion (if it'll ever get here!) and some other review discs, but if it doesn't arrive, I do have some 3D discs here I haven't watched yet including Dredd and The Adventures of Tintin. Maybe I could get to one of those.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm watching Wizard of OZ at my nearest IMAX theater in 3-D. Then I'm going to watch Prisoners tomorrow. After that, I have to decide between football games which Blu-ray(s) to view through the weekend.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've been knee-deep in work and that hasn't left a ton of time for anything else. We ended up watching one episode of Next Season S3 Friday night (I feel asleep) and Babes in Toyland last night (fell asleep...watching it righ now). My viewing is going to pick up in less than a month...and I can't wait.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I watched The Big Lebowski. I bought it on HD-DVD a while back after the format war for cheap because many people said they really liked it and I really like Jeff Bridges. I watched it then and I remember it wasn't good so I decided to try again in case I just wasn't in the mood for it at that time. Still don't like it. I just don't get the appeal of this movie.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Crawford said:
I'm watching Wizard of OZ at my nearest IMAX theater in 3-D. Then I'm going to watch Prisoners tomorrow. After that, I have to decide between football games which Blu-ray(s) to view through the weekend.
I did both of those on Saturday Robert (late matinee for Oz, and last showing for Prisoners), with dinner in between.

Seeing those particular films in that particular order was strange to say the least...but also strangely satisfying. Like all of Denis Villeneuve's films, Prisoners really sneaks up on you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ROclockCK said:
I did both of those on Saturday Robert (late matinee for Oz, and last showing for Prisoners), with dinner in between.

Seeing those particular films in that particular order was strange to say the least...but also strangely satisfying. Like all of Denis Villeneuve's films, Prisoners really sneaks up on you.
I didn't watch any blu-rays this past weekend, but I had a great time watching both of those films at the cinema.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Unless something urgent comes in the mail today, I'm taking today off, and I have on the docket Ghostbusters and Dredd 3D. The rest of the weekend, I'll be reviewing Fox MOD discs (or at least that's the plan).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to the movies to see Don Jon. I will be watching some Olive BDs this weekend as well as some HD recordings I have on my DVR like The Long Gray Line.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We're going to see Don Jon tomorrow and we have Strangers on a Train from Netflix. I'm hoping to sneak in a half dozen episodes of Cheers to finish up season 4. There may be something else hitting the TV...but this is really all I'm committing to right now.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
DUEL and BULLITT, both in 35mm, at the Loews Jersey.Been trying to get to this theater for years, and there's always a conflict. This time it's happening.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Probably Prisoners at the theater.Maybe Fight Club on the big screen (last of the Cinemark series).Lots of pilot/premieres from this week to catch up on

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I might go see that Metallica IMAX movie. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but the tagline on the commercial ("If you live for Metallica, don't die before Friday...") was so funny that it made me want to see the movie. Plus, I've never seen an IMAX concert movie and it's unlikely that any band that I really like is going to get the IMAX treatment so Metallica is as good as it's going to get for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The 35th Anniversary BD of Halloween should be waiting for me this evening via Amazon, so we'll probably watch that tonight. Not sure about the rest of the weekend plans, though.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Eureka BRD of A Time To Love And A Time To Die has just arrived. I won't have time to watch it tonight but tomorrow: definitely!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
On the big screen:

[*]Rush - Wow. Just WOW! This is Howard's most visceral, kinetic, and convincing filmmaking since Apollo 13. On my short list with Mud for best American film of the year.
[/list]
At home:

[*]Mud (Blu-ray) - see above. After Take Shelter, and now this little beauty, Jeff Nichols is rapidly becoming that rare cinematic treasure...someone as adept at writing as directing...apparently clear-eyed enough to know when to understate both so that his frame can 'breathe' with internal life. Huston, Renoir, or Ford couldn't have handled this modern day Twain tale any better. Just an all-round great movie experience.
[*]And Then There Were None (Blu-ray) - never read nor seen this one, and you'd think that after all these years with so many imitations and variations on Christie's 'Ten Little Indians' premise, I would have seen her twist denouement coming...but I didn't. Despite a so-so disc, I thoroughly enjoyed this mystery classic.
[*]The Party (DVD) - I simply never tire of this drole Blake Edwards/Peter Sellers comedy. In SD it looks like it could use some TLC though, but heck, you could probably project this thing on a bedsheet and it would still play fine. Actually, I would be thrilled to learn that this classic comedy has received some much needed HD remastering and is among the MGM titles acquired by Twilight Time. "Birdie num-nums" to me...
[/list]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks