What's new

What's next for King Kong (2005) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I saw the film in theaters (rare for me), so I didn't have a burning desire to purchase any of the products that have been put out so far (1-disc, 2-disc, PDs).

Will there be a unifying multi-disc SD Kong product (to rule them all)?

Or will all this content be condensed into a 2-disc HD-DVD/Blu-Ray next?

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
I heard news that there was going to be a 4-Disc SE later this year (I think it was from thedigitalbits.com), which is what I'm holding out for. That was a few months ago, and I've yet to hear any new updates...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Although Peter Jackson is quoted as saying that the production diaries and post production diaries (from the two disc set) are NOT going to be on the mega set. So if you want to get all the features, you'll have to pick up those releases in addition to the big set.

Almir

Auditioning
I also heard about 4 DVD SE Set with extended cut of the movie. Now question is, do we really need extended cut of the movie that is originally long enough. Would it really make some difference?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Depends. I much prefer the EEs of the LORD OF THE RINGS films and am definitely interested in an extended KONG. Who knows; with more footage, the film may play less choppily than it does, and thus "feel" shorter. I haven't bought the current version.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
There will probably be a HD-DVD release of the theatrical version of the movie within the next 60 days.

I wouldn't expect the Extended Edition of the movie to be officially announced until after that.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
An Extended Edition is expected, along with a PJ commentary, but nothing's been announced thusfar.

From an interview with Peter Jackson:
(http://dvd.ign.com/articles/698/698642p1.html)

Interviewer: "Do you have plans to cut them (scenes cut from the theatrical release) back in for a longer director's cut?"

Jackson: I hope so, yeah. That's pretty much Universal's decision, but I'm hoping at some point we'll get a chance to actually have a longer version of Kong because there's certainly a lot of very good stuff; there's a lot of dinosaur action, there's more dinosaur sequences, and as you saw, there's the journey across the swamp. There's a couple of sequences between Ann and Kong that we trimmed out. There's actually some nice scenes that, well, that's one of the beauties with DVD is that often you do get a chance with extended cuts to finally complete those scenes and finish them. But that's a decision that's very much in Universal's hands and they haven't made that decision yet."

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't it be a nice touch to bring Howard Shore back for any extended cut? (That's a rhetorical question, no answer needed!)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
As far as future releases go, I don't feel the movie needs to be longer and clapped with glee in the theater as minor characters were killed because I hoped this would speed the movie along.

I guess my dream set would be a 4-disc, with one disc for the movie and three for all the extras released so far.

The equivalent HD set would probably be a 2-disc (although I don't have a player, this would be something to look forward to).

I can't imagine why they wouldn't reuse the existing extras since the structure of production diaries begs to be unified into one product.

If none of this comes to pass, I'll wait for a used copy of the Production Diaries and then find a bit of room in the box for the 2-disc set. End of story.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

lol I find that hysterical, but you must realize that you're bordering on thread crapping to some. But since you're doing it, I might as well too. I can just see the advertisements for an extended edition now: "King Kong, now with 25% more 'meaningful glances' (between Ann Darow and King Kong, of course)" ;)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
My comments regarding some of the weaker supporting characters do not indicate that I disliked the movie outright.

I simply said (as many others have) that I wasn't waiting for a longer version.

In many ways, the TC seemed like an EE to me.

I would, however, like all the production diaries (pre and post) in one place.

I've yet to see any extras for Kong, so I'll probably warm more to the movie later.

I did get a chance to view the Kong (1933) extras, which I thought were excellent.

Joel C

Screenwriter
While I liked the movie and own the DVD, I can't imagine buying this for a LONGER version. I would happily snap up a shorter, Jamie Bell-free version, though, trimmed of all the useless subplots in the first 2/3s that go absolutely nowhere.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'd like to see a shorter version of the film released next... no offense to PJ or anyone who liked the film... I'm kindof hoping that some future version pops up (for television, maybe) that brings the film down to about 2:20. That's about the point where I started getting lazy-eye from all the redundancies.

An extended DVD I would rent to watch the features, but I don't want to watch an extended Kong movie.

Sorry.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The more the merrier I say. I couldn't get enough of Kong. Give me a 6 hour cut and I would be thrilled!:emoji_thumbsup:

moviemanmills

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Mills
What is going to be on the extended cut and how much longer is it? anyone know.
tx
moviemanmills

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks