What's new

What's next for BCI? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
David, I too am sorry that things ended up the way they have. Even my job which is an international Fortune 500 company let go (not laid off) many people without any prior notice.

Wonder what Navarre is going to do with what BCI has started and people expect in the future? You can't just start a "series" and then leave fans/collectors hanging part way through?

Eric

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

No disrespect intended, but where have YOU been? This whole board has people who are full of excuses for why studios can and do do just that.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Apparently it is true... from the CHFB someone contacted Cliff at BCI and he said basically all titles have been cancelled including what was already prepared for January release. So at this time no more Drive In Cult Classics, no more game shows, no nothing.

Strange when CEO Cary Deacon said: "...We continue to be very excited about the DVD content that will now be exclusively sold and marketed through Navarre Distribution Services. These changes will allow us to focus our efforts on growing the sales of the DVD content that is most appealing to our retail customers and consumers."

I wonder what "appeals" to Navarre is not what appeals to BCI? But on the other hand it may be a plus for us - who knows? BCI was sold not long ago with a different mindset and got rid of the old PD titles. Navarre was in the PD title business long before them.

And thought BCI had a contract with Crown to release their films - so what happens there?

Eric

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I did enjoy the work of BCI when it came to getting out all the live action Filmation shows - especially Ghost Busters, Isis and Ark II. I also enjoyed the Gameshows and the Crown Int. collections.

Thanks for getting such fun out, David and other BCI people.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Im also a fan of those drive in classics, and will be sad if they are not continued.Anyone check BCI"S School Dazed set???? Its like the drive in dvds , but this time with both 70s and 80s movies !!!! It even has Tomboy !!!!

David Levine

Supporting Actor
The exclusive titles are ones that BCI just distributed, but had nothing to do with the creation or production of.

Things like UFC, TNA Wrestling, etc.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
David, thanks for being a great industry liaison to HTF. I'm very sorry to hear about you and your co-workers. Unfortunately that situation has hit a lot of us and our colleagues no matter what industry we work in.

Best wishes in your job search; may it be a brief one and may your new job be even better. As Bob said in an earlier post, the fate of DVD releases is a very minor concern compared to people trying to earn a living to support themselves.

Steve

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
David I just wanted to add my thanks for all your posts and contributions to the forum. Hopefully you'll still stick around the forum no matter where your job is. I do hope you have a speedy and successful job search and end up somewhere you like. I feel for you and your co-workers. Like others have said, this recession is hitting everyone in almost every industry. I know so many people that are out of work and stuggling. Every day I fear that this may be my last day at my job. These are scary times we live in.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Certainly a sign of the times for the independent DVD company. Over the last couple of years, we've lost Subversive Cinema, Barrel, Casa Negra and technically Anchor Bay. With the global economy imploding all around us, retailers like Circut City closing and Best Buy restructuring, and Blu-Ray sales dieing on the vine - it's gonna be rough on the little guy in 2009.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My favorite purchase from this year. Nice job on that release. My outer sleeve did break loose at the bottom but otherwise I felt that was one of the best TV sets for an old rare show I'd ever bought. Me and sis loved that when it first aired. Amazing how well it's held up.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Not true by the way. Did you read The Dark Knight sold a million Blu-ray discs its first week?

But i agree with you on eveything else you said.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Filmation He-Man set is a perfect example of how to do a perfect dvd set. Everything from Box art to customer service, BCI shamed the big studios.

David,
Thanks for all your valuable input on this thread.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I think the truth falls somewhere in between.

For every Dark Knight or Iron Man, there are 5-10 titles that don't even recoup their authoring/manufacturing/etc. costs.

I think it's getting better, and the drop we're starting to see in player price, along with finally some good sales on discs happening will help.

But we still have the problem of an absolute ton of CRT TVs in this country, and even more people that don't see "enough of a difference" between Standard DVD and Blu-Ray.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Thanks Bryan. That's the set that really put us on the map. Changed the direction and perception of us as a company. Professionally, one of the big moments of my career.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
So what does this mean for the status and availability of BCI releases? Will all of them slowly go out of print as the current stock is used up? Should we make a mad dash to our favorite retailers?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

I Purchased Space Acadamy & Jason of Star Command "Just in Case". I have seen DVDs that have gone "Out of Print" sell for PREMIUM PRICES on E-BAY (Such as some of the MST3K sets and the 1967 Spiderman set. (I own a copy of the latter!) :D I'd rather be SAFE than SORRY.;)

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I honestly have no idea. Navarre still has the capabilities to manufacture as all the artwork files are with their respective printers, and discs can still be replicated. But I don't know if that means anything will happen.

I could guess, but really anything I say about BCI from 12/17/08 and on would just be pure speculation.

My advice would be if there are any BCI DVDs that you really want, I'd buy them now. If there are titles you are on the fence about, you could wait and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks