What's new

What's members experience with 3 Series BMWs? (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
So Lee, what's the outlook on in-car SACD playback? :)

Does Sony have existing relationships with Japanese car manufacturers like Honda, or might it happen first with a higher end car, like BMW, regardless of country of origin?

-p

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wish. But with a 318 going for S$140K (US$82K), no way can I justify one. Price of living in the country with the world's most expensive cars...

Eh? The "lowest" octane we get at pumps here is 92, many use 95 (as do I) on our modest Japanese sedans, and those with the big flashy cars tend to "fill 'erup" with 98. Am I missing something? Do Americans use lower octane petrol for some reason or other?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

While it may be cheap, gasoline in the US is pretty much rat piss compared to other countries :frowning:
I live at altitude (6202' at my front door) and am offered 85,87, and 89 here.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It's nice when you live on an island and all the smog is instantly blown out to sea. ;)

Yee it's generally 87 for most cars, 91 or 93 octane for newer cars with higher hp and higher compression ratios. Places with smog problems like California are limited to 91 tops while most everywhere else can get 93. You can get an additive at a performance shop to get 100 octane but only some gearheads that go to the track ever do it.

I get 93 for my 96 Maxima (Cefiro) since it recommends I use high octane for "maximum performance" on the inside of the gas door.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you forgot to mention forced induction cars :)
we need all the detonation protection we can get

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Sigh. We have the world's most expensive cars, hands down. So your Beemer (and a nice one it is too!) is cheaper than my dinky little Lancer. But I guess if we didn't, we'd also have the world's worst traffic jams: affluence and relatively high population in a small country (only 600 sq km) is not a friendly combination from a space-living standards point of view.

They also tax petrol heavily, to discourage use. IIRC, only the Brits pay more for gas (a lot more, IIRC they pay something like a pound a litre), although with exchange rates having shot up "in their favour", Aussie and Kiwi gas must by now be getting close to Singapore prices.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
What are peoples opinions on the 323's
Ive been thinking about that one, and whats the difference with the i's and ci's

What year do you guys recommend i go for, or how far should i go back, 1999?

Thanks

Bruce N

Second Unit
Octane is calculated differently in different countries. Comparing US octane to Singapore octane is apples and oranges.

330i = 4 door
330Ci = 2 door coupe
330Cic = 2 door convertible
330Xi = 4 door 4 wheel drive

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Just spoke to a buddy who's a chemical engineer, and sells catalysts in the petrochemical industry (so he should know what he's talking about). He says there are two measures of octane, RON and MON: "research octane" and "motor octane". The difference between the two is maybe 2 or 3 octane numbers (the difference is not linear).

The bigger difference between US and European markets is to do with emission standards and size of engines. The US (save for California) has laxer emission standards, so the gas doesn't have to burn as cleanly. Also, since US engines are generally larger, they generate more power and can therefore "afford" to be burning lower octane gas than smaller European engines.

Or something like that, apologies to my buddy if I summarized any of his discourse wrongly :D

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
The 3 Series BMW is a great car. Handling and especially the steering is the best in its class. Styling is nice too; I always enjoy looking at them when I blow by them on the Autobahn. (M3 excepted, of course) :D

I was sure I'd be buying a BMW before leaving Europe. I had all the details decided on and was about to pull the trigger on a 330iX when I first test drove a Volvo S60R.

Where I live (Germany), near-max performance driving is available on public roads, so I routinely make good use of the 300 hp. If I were in the States, I may have chosen to stick with the BMW, because of its handling advantage. On the other hand, the Volvo does offer much nicer leather interior (soft, luxurious), and the HU-803 Audio system is outstanding.

If I were shopping for a 3 Series, I would add the sports package to get the sports seats, even if I didn't think I needed the sportier suspension--the standard seats are neither comfortable nor supportive.

I doubt that I'd opt for the performance Package, since the 10 added horsepower is too little to gain along with a semi-custom exhaust that will likely be much more expensive to replace when it needs it. I also don't care for the Alcantara fake suede.

Split folding rear seats are optional; don't forget to order them if you need this feature.

The cold weather package is nice for the heated seats.

Good luck in your decision!

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks