What's new

Whats Leonard Maltin's role in the Disney Treasures line? (1 Viewer)

Paul X.

Auditioning
My sister asked me this question and I wasnt too sure on the answer. I had heard that hes one of the main people who are behind the releases and in charge of putting it all together; including chosing whats released and so on. My sister thought that all he did was the talking, intro, disclaimers and stuff.

So does anyone know what role Maltin plays when it comes to the releases of the Walt Disney Treasures?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
He's the producer of the DVDs. He's also a film historian who specializes in Disney.

He's currently working on the next four releases in the series.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
He's also the one who dreamed up the whole project and successfully pitched it to Disney.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
He is also the annoying guy who appears on your TV screen every time you pop these DVDs in your machine :angry:

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
As Paul pointed out, Juan, if it weren't for Leonard Maltin, you wouldn't have the DVDs at all.
Nonetheless, I rather go straight to the main menu... I don't have to see him every time I want to watch the shorts. This kind of introductions belong in the "special features", where I see them when - and if - I want.

JC

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't so much mind him introducing the DVD, it's him popping up and shouting at us about how to view politically incorrect cartoons before they start thats annoying to me, until we made it into a drinking game...:b

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I don't mind his introductions at all. To me, it's part of the presentation. You can always skip it if you've already seen it or if you just don't want to watch it at all.

And I don't mind his disclaimers on the political incorrections on some of the cartoons. If these disclaimers were in a Special Features section, many people would never see them. Being in front of the cartoon about to be played will warn people and shed some light on the period's mindset. Of course, you can always skip this too. And if this is what it takes to bring these cartoons out of the vault, then I say good for Leonard.

I'm not saying that I'm a monster Leonard Maltin fan, but for all of the hard work that he has put into these DVDs, he can put his mug on the cover for all I care. Points for him!

Now, DVDpreview is another matter.....

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Nonetheless, I rather go straight to the main menu... I don't have to see him every time I want to watch the shorts. This kind of introductions belong in the "special features", where I see them when - and if - I want.
I don't mind this at all. As long as you can just skip to the cartoon, what's the big deal?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I didn't realize exactly how much Leonard Maltin knew about movies until I picked up a copy of his book The Great Movie Shorts, a definitive listing, summary and review of virtually every sound-era short film that came from a major studio. We're talking reviews of thousands of short films, and overviews of the full series, and historical context and interviews with cast and crew and biographical sketches of the major players involved.

He wrote that book in his early 20s.

Leonard Maltin knows movies.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
That's because Maltin is a film historian, not just a reviewer as some people might think. He hasn't just seen a lot of films, he has researched them and the film industry.

I did not realize he had been the one to pitch the idea to Disney. For that alone he can be anywhere on the discs he wants to be IMO.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
He also wrote the definitive book on the feature films of the Disney Co., THE DISNEY FILMS. It's fabulous!!!

The man is a storehouse of knowledge.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
He helps us viewers in the 21st century to relate to the entertainment climate of fifty years ago.

I appreciate the footnotes that Mr. Maltin gives in his introductions to the programs on the 'Behind the Scenes' set.

I wouldn't have been observant enough to notice that the programs presented in the 40s/50s took some liberties. For instance, footage of an artist working on two frames of Mickey Mouse animation with a grease pencil instead of (in reality) a regular pencil because the latter doesn't photograph well. Makes sense.

Another example: Steamboat Willie with a redone, more comfortable soundtrack was referenced in RKO's behind the scenes program as Disney's first sound cartoon instead of the original incarnation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks