What's new

What's left? (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Angelo - Yep. I'm aware of the full screen release. I may have left it on the list in anticipation of the rumored OAR release.

- Walter.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
There are three missing from my (flexible) top ten list; two are on the way:

1. Hamlet (Branagh; sourced from large format, I trust :emoji_thumbsup: )
2. Bambi
3. Wife vs. Secretary (1936) -- Clark Gable, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow ... the greatest film you've never heard of.

And two that need remastering, and will likely get it at some point soon:

1. Batman (1989)
2. The Abyss

Then there's my top one thousand list ... don't get me started. :D

Mark, I think Larry may mean these (links are to the IMDB):

1. Vanishing Point (1971)
2. Bedazzled (1967)

Neither are on DVD yet, but the recent remake of the latter is available.

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
Alejandro Jodorowsky's films (with the exception of the out of print Fando and Liz) are all unreleased on DVD.

El Topo
The Holy Mountain
Tusk
Santa Sangre
The Rainbow Theif

There are some R2 releases of a few of them that are most likley not legitamate, and horrible quality.

Also, there are a few documentaries that I wouldn't mind seeing DVD editions of:

Paradise Lost
Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
Waco: The Rules of Engagement (EDIT: Just saw that this will be released in a few weeks)

And a guilty pleasure of mine, Purple Rain, should be re-released in OAR, and a special edition wouldn't hurt. ;)

Jodee

Screenwriter
Here's my list of must-haves that still need a DVD release:

African Queen
After Hours
Americathon
At Long Last Love
Autumn Born
Baxter
Big One, The
Breaking All the Rules
Chan is Missing
Crazy Moon
Cry-Baby
Drowning by Numbers
Eating Raoul
Ed Wood
Eddie Murphy: Delirious
Eddie Murphy: Raw
For Keeps
Foul Play
Getting it Right
Girl Most Likely to…, The
Heavenly Kid, The
Heiress, The
High Anxiety
Hoop Dreams
Hot Stuff
How I Got Into College
Icicle Thief, The
Illegally Yours
Irreconcilable Differences
Just One of the Guys
Kafka
King of the Hill
Let Him Have It
Lifeboat
Lost Highway
Love at First Bite
Loverboy
Lovers of the Arctic Circle
Map of the Human Heart
Mischief
Modern Romance
My Twentieth Century
Nickelodeon
Night of the Comet
Noises Off
Only the Lonely
Prince: Sign o the Times
Schindler's List
Secrets & Lies
Short Cuts
Siesta
Skatetown U.S.A.
Smooth Talk
Song of the South
Spanking the Monkey
Stingray
Student Bodies
Sugar Town
They All Laughed
Thing Called Love, The
Under the Cherry Moon
Urgh! A Music War
Wedding Banquet, The
What a Way to Go!
Whore
Wild at Heart
Young Doctors in Love

Jodee

Screenwriter

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
The current DVD format may be too short-lived
to see everything everyone wants released. Then
again, who knows how long it will take HD-DVD to
become mainstream.
I think the current format of DVD will be around for a LONG time. Most people don't have a TV that a Progressive Scan DVD player takes full advantage of. Current DVD looks "perfect" to the average viewer.

CDs have been around since the mid 80s or so and aren't going anywhere for a while. I feel DVD will be like this, be the standard for Home Theater Video for Decades.

Once HD-TVs are commonplace, then people will start to think "Hey, DVD video doesn't look so great compared to the HD-TV broadcasts of Movies and TV Shows, We need HD-DVD!"

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
All the movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, not just the Thin Man movies.
yeah, at this point i think, as wonderful as the TM series was/is, i would prefer to see the other films pairing these two more- films like Libled Lady (mentioned in the chat as coming in '04) and Double Wedding would be the top of my list, but i wouldn't sneer at Love Crazy or the other also rans.
in fact, as much as i would like to see a TM box set, i would really go nuts over a Powell/Loy boxset containing nothing but their non-Thin Man related films.
from a marketing standpoint, that would seem to me to be a complete no brainer. anyone that would pick up a couple of these would most likely pick up several if boxed together.

getting back to the original post, are there any modern big audience films not availavle besides SW?( i consider modern to be from the introduction of the current ratings system- G, PG, PG-13, R...maybe even GP).
for the longest time people were whinning for Back to The Future, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Godfather, Raiders...
i'm pine more for obscure classics and cult movies (why the Hell hasn't Fox released Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry?) but i realize these won't sell anywhere close to Indy-sized numbers.
i agree the surface has only been scratched when it comes to 80-90 years of film , but really what else is MIA that would command much attention from the non-hardcore film buff audience?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Many of these "not on DVD" films are available in other regions, including:

King Kong
Flight of the Navigator
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Cocoon
Ed Wood
The African Queen
10 Rillington Place
(due 12th Jan 2004)
1492: Conquest of Paradise
Lost Highway
Ikuru
La Dolce Vita
Eating Raoul
Dead of Night
(isn't this also available from Anchor Bay?)
The Fall of the Roman Empire
Repulsion
Vanishing Point
Kagemusha
Ragtime
The Quiet Earth
Microcosmos
Cry-Baby
(due 10th November)
Let Him Have It
Secrets and Lies
Wild at Heart
Young Doctors in Love

All of these are available in the UK. Not all of them are optimum transfers, but some are decent releases by major studios (there are a few Fox titles here, for example).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I saw someone mention Young Doctors In Love...another one I want to buy. That also reminds me of Student Bodies and House of God (the latter another doctor-in-training comedy).

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
Once HD-TVs are commonplace, then people will start to think "Hey, DVD video doesn't look so great compared to the HD-TV broadcasts of Movies and TV Shows, We need HD-DVD!"
Reference-quality discs like Ghost Ship look pretty good, and keep in mind that most consumer HD-ready displays can't resolve anything near what HDTV is capable of.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Gary - FYI, Hud will be released on 12/02/03. One of my favorites from the '60s; with great performances and James Wong Howe's cinematography.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks