Real Name
Cameron Yee
A breakfast casserole for a work potluck. Looked better than it tasted. :D

IMG_20151209_094500933.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin:

What are those pizza toppings? I see the broccoli, onion and cheese...but I'm unsure of what looks to be slices of meat cut into quarters. Salami, maybe?!? Or sandwich pepperoni? Am I missing anything else?

We are doing make-your-own pizzas for our Sunday dinner this weekend with the kids (and granddaughter)!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Mike Frezon said:
Kevin:

What are those pizza toppings? I see the broccoli, onion and cheese...but I'm unsure of what looks to be slices of meat cut into quarters. Salami, maybe?!? Or sandwich pepperoni? Am I missing anything else?

We are doing make-your-own pizzas for our Sunday dinner this weekend with the kids (and granddaughter)!

Yes, that is sandwich pepperoni. I find it a bit greasy, so I microwave it for 35 seconds between paper towels (on a plate, topped by another plate to hold it together) to absorb the grease before putting it on the pizza.

The broccoli I sauteed with a bit of garlic and diced sun-dried tomatoes, then added a few tablespoons of water and cover until tender. Great on pizza or pasta.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
A week ago my local market had their standard "$5 Friday" specials. That week had 4 lbs of boneless pork sirloin chops for $5 and 4 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts for $5.

The pork chops were fabulous on the grill. However....the chicken at that price turned out to be stewing chickens, not fryers.

So I've been trying chicken stew recipies. Tonight it's Coq au Vin which is more of a technique than a recipe. Along with the cut up chicken, it's carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and turnips stewed in a broth of 50/50 beef broth and red wine. Seasonings include Herbes de Provence, black pepper, garlic, ground cumin. Since potatoes cook to mush I'm adding them after the first hour of stewing so they keep their shape.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I made those marinated mushrooms again last night as we had our pizza party with the family.

The only difference this time is that my market didn't have any button mushrooms so I went with sliced white mushrooms this time.

I remembered to take a picture (you can see the halved cloves of garlic amidst the shrooms):

gallery_286742_34_91064.jpg

And here's a picture of my pizza. It featured the marinated mushrooms, buffalo chicken, italian sausage, turkey pepperoni, sliced marinated garlic and onion:

I'm a "cheese on top of the toppings kind of guy'. :biggrin:

gallery_286742_34_9307.jpg

And my son's pizza. He went half sausage, half buffalo chicken:

gallery_286742_34_101059.jpg

We have found this to be one of the most popular family dinner meals as everyone can make their meal to their liking. Even our 14-month old granddaughter got her own Sausage & Cheese pie!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Nothing fancy, but baked eggs, done in a toaster oven. The bottom "crust" is flattened out Hawaiian rolls and a bit of hashbrown to fill in the gaps where the bread didn't cover, as well as some bacon. Unfortunately I didn't have time to eat it as soon as it was done, so will be eating it at room temperature.

IMG_20151217_073203711%25257E2.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wish me luck. After a couple of months of minimal cooking, I'm jumping back in with my family coming out for Christmas.

I'm inaugurating my rotisserie on Tuesday with a brined chicken

http://www.weber.com/recipes/poultry/rosemary-brined-rotisserie-chicken

For Christmas day, I plan to do a ~16 lb Thanksgiving turkey as I did last year, except rotisserie rather than baked. Per the ATK holiday turkey recipe, it's a 12 hour wet brine, with a 12 hour dry-out (which I realize is basically a dry brine in effect). I'll rotisserie grill, rather than baking, and hope for the best. I've not decided if I'll stuff it for dressing / gravy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As you might know, the iPad got a multi-tasking upgrade in iOS 9. This proved handy for prepping my holiday menu:

IMG_0057.jpg

We opened some early gifts last night, before family arrives. My wife got a clearance deal on a KitchenAid mixer, so I got that early to help with holiday cooking.

IMG_6482.jpg

And I've got a chicken brining (the rosemary-brine recipe in the screenshot). This is my inaugural rotisserie cook!

IMG_6483.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
First go with a rotisserie attachment on the grill was a success, and I'm motivated to try some more. It's a lot more work than buying a $5 roast chicken at Legman's. But the chicken is much better. And in some ways, it's easier than baking or grilling. Put chicken in pot of salt water in the morning. Six hours later, skewer and grill for 75 minutes, and it's done. No extra flipping. Just check the temperature near the end. I even grilled in the rain tonight and it was a-ok.

If you're struggling to find a present for the Weber griller who has everything, the rotisserie accessory is recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpg
    IMG_6488.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6490.jpg
    IMG_6490.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6491.jpg
    IMG_6491.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 48

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be grilling steaks for Christmas dinner on Friday.

I'm glad you are happy with your rotisserie attachment, Dave! :thumbsup:

By the way, is that part of the Quirky Grill Caddy that is holding your asparagus above?!? We've got one of those. They are GREAT!

0c07e19218bb8d11bdfe3db73dd7c71b.jpg

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Mike Frezon said:
I'll be grilling steaks for Christmas dinner on Friday.

I'm glad you are happy with your rotisserie attachment, Dave! :thumbsup:

By the way, is that part of the Quirky Grill Caddy that is holding your asparagus above?!? We've got one of those. They are GREAT!

0c07e19218bb8d11bdfe3db73dd7c71b.jpg
Here's what I'll be cooking for my annual Xmas dinner, starting tomorrow:

2015 Christmas Dinner Party

Le Menu

Escargots with Herb Butter and Mini Toasts
Imported Cheeses and Specialty Crackers
Lil' Sausages with Mustards and Sauces
Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Trimmings
Chicken-Apple Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing
Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Béarnaise & Au Jus Sauces
Baked Black Forrest Ham with Brown Sugar and Pineapple Glaze
Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple Coconut Mango Tequila Sauce
Sautéed Wild Mushrooms with Onions and Fine Herbs
Basil Pesto and Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Spinach and Bacon
Candied Yams with Cinnamon

Yes, I'm a masochist when it comes to cooking. The only scary part is that this year the guest list has grown from around 40 last year to around 75 this year!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm making brisket for Christmas Day - it's in the oven now, and will rest a day in the fridge before being sliced, heated and served.

Making two batches, 5-6 pounds of meat in each. Seared on both sides in large pot or Dutch oven on stovetop. Then remove meat, add a ton of sliced onions, little bit of salt, brown sugar, fresh garlic, tomato paste and paprika. (Normally there's black and cayenne pepper too but one of the guests is allergic to pepper.) Add red wine, chicken stock, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover and cook for 4 hours at 300 degrees in oven. Rest at least overnight, a day or two is even better. Slice while cold, reheat at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and then serve.

Started with the America's Test Kitchen recipe and have been tweaking and simplifying it for a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks