What's new

What's a good 4 ohm capable reciever (1 Viewer)

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I am in the market of getting new speakers and most of the kind I like are 4 ohm. Now my reciever I have now is about 4 years old and I think it can go to 6 ohm. Its a pioneer vsx 1017... So I wanted to get the new reciever so it's up to date and able to play the new speakers I want. Now when I get the new reciever I will only be getting two speakers at first, maybe a center too, so I will have at minimum two of the 8 ohm speakers I have now, so would the new reciever destroy the 8 ohm speakers? And is it able to even play with two ohm levels because even with expensive speaker sets some of the surrounds are 6 ohm.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you like the receiver you have, since it has "Pre-Outs" on the back, you can get an external amp and connect to it, and let it handle the 4 ohm speakers. You may be able to find a used one fairly cheap. Check here for a used one: http://app.audiogon.com/categories/33 You might find one on Craig's List too. If you're wanting something new, the Onkyo TX-NR709 and up, is 4 ohm certified. Even so, if all five or all seven speakers are going to be 4 ohm, I'd still add an external amp. You can do like I do and run the front three speakers as 4 ohm, and my other four speakers are 8 ohm. I've had no problem with this. I set my receiver up for 4 ohm during initial setup, and it's been fine ever since. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks