What's new

What's a fair price for used exercise equipment? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A friend is moving and is selling her elliptical machine. (Horizon Fitness CSE3HR) It's four years old and was about $1000 new. I think it's had moderate use and is good condition. My wife and I are thinking of buying it and are trying to determine a fair price to offer.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on buying used exercise equipment.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Ebay-- What ever they are getting on their is fair market value.

Option two: Call a place that buys used equipment and pretend it is yours and see how much they will give you for it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As is true with any purchase...a fair price for an item is whatever it's worth to the buyer (and, I suppose, the seller
).

FWIW, my wife and I bought a used elliptical machine a couple of years ago through the classified ads. We got a GREAT deal on THIS MACHINE. We plopped it right into the corner of our living room (near the TV) and used it ALL the time! :emoji_thumbsup:

It is an older machine--which I'm not even sure is made anymore. As you can see from the flyer, it retailed for about $500. We paid $80! The battery compartment was a bit corroded but that cleaned up fine and the unit has been a great investment for us. We have since joined a gym but still use it on those occasions when our schedules don't allow us time for the gym.

Too late to make this a short story...but whatever price seems fair to you and the current owner will be what gets it done. But as long as you are committed to not turning it into a "clothes hanger," you will find you've made a good purchase!

Good luck!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Making this harder is this specific item is not on ebay and only one on craigslist in a different state so there's insufficient data to quickly determine marketprice.

The seller is a friend so I don't want to offer too low; but I don't want to blatantly overpay.

This is to be a supplement to the gym membership (and hopefully not just a new perch for the cats).

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
As someone who has just finished moving I can tell you that I sold some things for way below what they were worth just so I wouldn't have to move them.

Just ask her what she is willing to take, if you haven't already, and she might make you a good deal.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I would use craigslist for pricematching as well as ebay, since its a heavier item.

How badly do you want it? If offering $200 at the outset is lowball, wait until a few weeks before shes moving and see if its still available. At that point, you'll be doing her a favor by taking it and you'll get a good deal, and your friendship will survive intact.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I searched ebay for other equipment from the same manufacturer and got a sense of how much value was lost. Based on that I offered $150 which is somewhere between fair and generous. She was fine with that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We recently cleaned the (unfinished) basement for the new cats. We'll put it there and hopefully that will work well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Uh oh...out of sight, out of mind! ;)

Well, since you said this machine is to supplement your gym membership, you might be allright. You didn't ask for the input...but I'll (go ahead anyway and) just say that my wife and I found great success with putting it where we had no excuse for not using it (the living room--near the TV & HT). I know many people would recoil at that idea...but we really wanted to make the exercise a priority. For us, the elliptical became so well used, we went the other way and decided to add the gym membership to supplement our home workouts! :D

Of course, some cats LIKE elliptical machines...

Even bunnies...

mylan

Screenwriter
You've got cats and bunnies? How does that work?
I love my ellipitical, a Vision Fitness 6100 that cost $1,400 new. It is near gym quality and is smoother than most, even Nordic Trac. Lesser machines tend to hurt my knees but man did you get a deal!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is in the category of things that, for $150, is worth trying; but we won't be crying over it if it's a bad buy. This is definitely not gym quality and is not a perfect fit for me. But if I use it once a week, it will be money well spent.

And maybe the cats will find some use from it too
The little kitten is getting a bit pudgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks