What's new

What you you think will happen next with the Saturday Night Live season sets? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I would absolutely love to see Seasons 6-10 released on DVD, but the edits made to "Fridays" make me doubtful that even if Shout! Factory assumed the license that we would see uncut episodes. The seasons I mentioned were the first I ever saw of "Saturday Night Live" back when they aired in reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s. My love of 80s pop culture was stoked on by seeing these episodes, and it would be great to see them again. Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal, Martin Short...They all did amazing stuff, a lot of which can't be seen in the Netflix prints. The music? Awesome stuff. If only we could see it again.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Of course, knowing the disdain Lorne Michaels has for Seasons 6-11, it's possible that if SNL DVDs were to resume, he might jump ahead to Season 12, call that Season 6 and forget the era I love most.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
John Kilduff said:
I would absolutely love to see Seasons 6-10 released on DVD, but the edits made to "Fridays" make me doubtful that even if Shout! Factory assumed the license that we would see uncut episodes. The seasons I mentioned were the first I ever saw of "Saturday Night Live" back when they aired in reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s. My love of 80s pop culture was stoked on by seeing these episodes, and it would be great to see them again. Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal, Martin Short...They all did amazing stuff, a lot of which can't be seen in the Netflix prints. The music? Awesome stuff. If only we could see it again.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Of course, knowing the disdain Lorne Michaels has for Seasons 6-11, it's possible that if SNL DVDs were to resume, he might jump ahead to Season 12, call that Season 6 and forget the era I love most.
Well said. I too started seriously watching SNL in the early 80's, and these were the seasons I truly love. Martin Short, and Billy Crystal were of course the standouts but I remember really liking Christopher Guest, and Tim Kazurinski too. I can only dream, but the idea of seasons 6-10 on dvd really excites me(I'm still shocked we got the first 5 seasons on dvd!). I'm sure this would sell great.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Bryan^H said:
Well said. I too started seriously watching SNL in the early 80's, and these were the seasons I truly love. Martin Short, and Billy Crystal were of course the standouts but I remember really liking Christopher Guest, and Tim Kazurinski too. I can only dream, but the idea of seasons 6-10 on dvd really excites me(I'm still shocked we got the first 5 seasons on dvd!). I'm sure this would sell great.
There was some funny stuff during the Piscopo/Murphy years and even the time with Downey Jr. (Robert, not Morton) and Anthony Michael Hall..... and of course, who wouldn't want to hear Charles Rocket utter..... Well,you know

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Rocket was the first one to just drop the bomb.
Prince got away with it in a song performance earlier.
And Paul Shaffer's lucky nobody caught him with it in a sketch from the fifth season.

Given how much time has now gone by since the earlier seasons were released, I'm not sure that we'll ever see any more season sets from SNL's past get released. It's more likely that they'll just keep issuing "Best of" compilations and the occasional reunion special.

But I'd be very happy to see Shout Factory license out a few years of the show if they ever wanted to do it. The thing is, the show is almost 40 seasons old at this point. Trying to do a complete "So Far" set would be a ridiculous undertaking. They could do a "Complete 1980s" set, I suppose, or a "Complete 1990s" set. Just not sure how they'd market that.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Half the sketches seemed to be missing on Netflix's airing of SNL: the 80's Years--I'd wanted to look up the 1988 Leslie Nielsen episode--to try and find the "1960's Movie" sketch I hadn't seen since it aired (an early Mike Myers inspiration for the Austin Powers movies)--and found the "episode" a half hour long and missing most of the sketches.
The description for the 1990 Jeremy Irons episode even describes it as having the "Sherlock Holmes' Birthday" sketch, but it never even appears on the 35-min. long version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks