What's new

What would you like to see next from TImeless? (1 Viewer)

mmyers

Agent
Real Name
mike myers
Gary OS-- Three westerns that I've hoped to see released are old NBC shows from the 50s--The Californians, Wichita Town and Jefferson Drum. Do you know if Timeless has ever considered releasing any of the shows? Wichita Town would seem like a good candidate because of Joel McCrea, and at least the first season of The Californians is very unique. Anyone ever hear of any possibility of anyone releasing Hotel de Paree?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mike, I think the problem (if we want to call it a "problem") with all three of those series are that, although they aired on NBC, they aren't Universal properties as far as I know. I don't believe any of them would be in the Uni vaults and therefore wouldn't fall under the current deal Timeless and Universal have right now. But for that, I imagine they'd all be prime candidates.

Gary "hopefully I'm wrong about the ownership of these shows, because I'd love to see all three of them as well" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
mmyers said:
Gary OS-- Three westerns that I've hoped to see released are old NBC shows from the 50s--The Californians, Wichita Town and Jefferson Drum. Do you know if Timeless has ever considered releasing any of the shows? Wichita Town would seem like a good candidate because of Joel McCrea, and at least the first season of The Californians is very unique. Anyone ever hear of any possibility of anyone releasing Hotel de Paree?
The Californians and Witchita Town are very good, and I especially enjoy the theme song for The Californians. Have not seen Jefferson Drum.

S

silverking

I think 'Hotel De Paree ' was Screen Gems. 'The Californians 'was California National Productions, don't know who would have the rights these days. Only seen a couple of episodes of 'Jefferson Drum' but it semed quite good with good calibre guest stars. Wichita Town is a classic example of 'rights' holders overvaluing their product. Timeless had this on their radar a couple of years back until some relative of the Mcrea estate got lawyers involved who jacked up the price fourfold. Timeless dropped it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverking

Wichita Town is a classic example of 'rights' holders overvaluing their product. Timeless had this on their radar a couple of years back until some relative of the Mcrea estate got lawyers involved who jacked up the price fourfold. Timeless dropped it.

That's terrible, Chris. Not at all surprising, but terrible nonetheless. I'm sure these type of situations occur more than most realize. Greed has surely gummed up the works many times with potential releases.

Gary "my guess is that Timeless still has several options to choose from right now as they continue to work with Universal" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Wichita Town is actually owned by Walter Mirisch, who's rich as Rockefeller. The amount of money he would want for him to be bothered dealing with this is far more than the sales could ever justify. I don't know the numbers but thousands to someone like him would be like pennies to someone else. The Californians are controlled by SFM Entertainment. The 2 problems there are that the owners of the two companies are not on very good terms, to put it politely. Also, SFM asks for big bucks for their properties. Jefferson Drum is Sony and at this point, Sony and Timeless have not done business.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
The Californians are controlled by SFM Entertainment. The 2 problems there are that the owners of the two companies are not on very good terms, to put it politely. Also, SFM asks for big bucks for their properties.
Maybe there is some hope for the Californians, seeing as how SFM recently sold their rights to The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp and The Real McCoys

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
When was the last time The Californians,Wichita Town & Jefferson Drum were seen on TV?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DeWilson said:
When was the last time The Californians,Wichita Town & Jefferson Drum were seen on TV?
Jefferson Drum and The Californians ended their original runs in 1959 I believe, and Witchita Town in 1960. Haven't a clue about any reruns, but all 3 shows were too brief, I believe, to have any syndication runs.

mmyers

Agent
Real Name
mike myers
Richard, Actually The Californians ran a full 2 seasons but I've never heard of it showing up since cancellation. It was truly one of the first "adult" westerns and the first year was focused on the vigilantes in San Francisco. Although Wichita Town only lasted one season I've always thought it would be reissued simply due to the presence of Joel McCrea.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd be interested in The Californians if it was released by Timeless. Read about it in an A-Z book of US network and cable TV shows. The premise of the show feels fresh and makes it stand out from other western TV shows, and is set during a period of US history I'm interested in, the Gold Rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks