What's new

What would you like to see next from criterion? (1 Viewer)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
I am hoping for the original 2-hour Mandarin mono version of Bruce Lee's first major motion picture, The Big Boss (1971). Rumor has it that a few complete copies of the premiere print are in private collections.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Keith Cobby said:
My choice would be Touchez Pas au Grisbi, the finest French crime film.
LA STRADA ; PONETTE; BALLAD OF A SOLDIER ; THE 45th ; QUIET FLOWS THE DON (all 3 parts) COME AND SEE ; NEVER ON SUNDAY ; BURMESE HARP (aka HARP OF BURMA) - not the recent bluray release but the original uncut 2 part version of the same film never seen in cinemas..It is perhaps the greatest film of ALL time. And to a lesser extent,the recently restored FLYING CLIPPER.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
IntoIt said:
I am hoping for the original 2-hour Mandarin mono version of Bruce Lee's first major motion picture, The Big Boss (1971). Rumor has it that a few complete copies of the premiere print are in private collection
Hardly worthy of a Criterion release .Its just a forgettable 'B' grade action film.

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
cinerama10 said:
BURMESE HARP (aka HARP OF BURMA) - not the recent bluray release but the original uncut 2 part version of the same film never seen in cinemas..It is perhaps the greatest film of ALL time.
Unfortunately, the original 2 part cut of The Burmese Harp no longer exists.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
James Whale's "Showboat" (1936;) Bunuel's Land without Bread as a special feature or something; Robert Altman's H.E.A.L.T.H.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
We certainly wont get James Whale's Show Boat given that it's just become in Warner's Archival DVD program. It defnitely should be on Blu ray though!
I would like to see a couple of rarities ... Agnes Varda's witty 'Lion's Love' and Burning Life (Peter Welz take on Thelma and Louise).

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
seangood79 said:
More Powell/Pressburger.
Matter of Life and Death, A Canterbury Tale, Tales of Hoffman
Don't forget "One of Our Aircraft is Missing" and "I Know Where I'm Going."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
From Universal

The Suspect
Destry Rides Again
The Killers (upgrade)
Holiday Inn

From MGM

The Long Goodbye
The Alamo (Roadshow version -- last update from Robert Harris was that something might be happening with it)

Other Upgrade

The Devil and Daniel Webster
King of Kings (silent)

From Paramount (or somebody)

Waterloo
The Mating Season

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I second that emotion regarding "The Alamo" -- considering the great job RAH did on the IAMMMMW set, they certainly owe him and I think Criterion are the only people to give this movie and restoration the proper presentation.

Personally, a little 69 minute 1937 comedy called "Way Out West" would be my 'I have a dream' request from Criterion -- if not, the tv and theatrical versions of "Marty" in the one set -- and a documentary on Paddy Chayefsky as a special feature.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
The Szabo/Brandauer trilogy: Mephisto, Colonel Redl, and Hanussen on BD
Evergreen BD
Tales of Hoffman BD
Oh Rosalinda BD
The Devils BD
Pandora's Box BD
Sternberg's Dietrich films on BD
Ophuls, Pabst, Willy Forst
The rest of the Sacha Guitry French box set
All the Kevin Brownlow docs

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
OMG I totally forgot Tales of Hoffmann.
That's such a natural choice given the fine Criterion DVD .. and such a wonderful movie all-round including the glimpse at the end of the great Thomas Beecham. An outstanding release (nice double-meaning).

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
The Browning Version
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Carnival of Souls
I Know Where I'm Going
A Matter of Life and Death
Rabid
Z

Steve W

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
IntoIt said:
I am hoping for the original 2-hour Mandarin mono version of Bruce Lee's first major motion picture, The Big Boss (1971). Rumor has it that a few complete copies of the premiere print are in private collections.
I'd buy it. In fact, a complete Bruce Lee collection done to Criterion's standards would be great. It's my understanding that the Shout Factory set is a bit lacking in the quality department due to the elements they received.

I'd love a Godzilla box as well, to sit beside the gorgeous Zatoichi set.

I'll buy every single Cronenberg film they can get their hands on. The pre "The Fly" part of his catalogue seems to be lacking in quality mostly, it would be great to have a complete collection of his work before he hit the big time with the studios.

I'd be shocked if we didn't get Eraserhead sooner than later, the trailer has been online for a while now..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks