What's new

What would you buy with $3000? (1 Viewer)

Mikey_C

Auditioning
I'm new to this board so I hope I'm not asking something that's been asked a million times before. Please forgive me if I am.

I am refinancing my house and getting a little cash out, and with some of that money I want to get a big screen TV. I'll have $3000 to spend and I'd like your valuable opinions as to what you think I should get.

I've been looking at something around 50" that is HDTV ready or built-in.

Thanks a lot to all who reply!

Mike

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Well Mikey, first welcome to the forum.

Second, If I had 3 grand the possibilities are endless, with what I'd do with it. To make a short list it goes as follows.

Panisonic P300 (projector) $1500

Svs sub $600

LCR/surround speakers $900

But that's just me.

Mikey_C

Auditioning
This TV is for my little home theater. I have BOSE Acoustimass 10 speakers, a Pioneer receiver and a JVC Progressive Scan DVD player. Basically I'm looking for the best picture at the largest size I can afford. This unit will be for watching movies, digital cable and HDTV programming.

I've been to Best Buy, Circuit City and Fry's Electronics out here in Southern California and there's just so much to choose from. Front projection... rear projection... plasma... DLP... etc.

I want something that will have a great picture and will last a long time.

thanks, again!

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
How good is the light control in your room? If it's good enough to make front projection a viable option, that is probably your best option for getting the best picture at the largest size you can afford.

With a $3k budget, you have many options available if you go this route. Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com for lots of information.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

You poor guy, I feel so sorry for you. I would definitely spend the baulk of the money on some speakers.;)

Today you don't have to spend so much on HDTVs anymore. The size of the room and viewing distance will dictate the size of the tv. You can get a good decent size hdtv for under 2 grand. I'd take the rest of the money and get speakers. :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The biggest quality picture for the money is a CRT RPTV. For $3000, you should be able to get a 65" CRT RPTV with money to spare. Look at Sony, Mits and Toshiba. If you want to go smaller, but more modern technology, look at DLP and LCD. They are not as big for the bucks and picture quality varies vs. CRT, but they are newer technology.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Why not Samsung also? They really get over looked because of the popularity of the above mentioned, but they are equal if not better in some aspects as those.

RobertC

Agent
Mikey
I have BOSE Acoustimass cubes to and i love them.
They sound great.I bought a Hitachi 51S500 about two
month's ago and me and my wife love it we pay 1800.00
with a two year service plan.I have HDTV to and the
picture is really great on the tv.We are are only
7 foot from the tv i know it is close but the picture
is great even being that close.I would look into
hitachi.They are number one right now.Good Luck..

Regards
RobertC

Mikey_C

Auditioning
Speaking of Samsung... I was at Circuit City and was very impressed with the HLP5063W 50" HDTV DLP. It's a little above my range $3499, but it looks like it would be worth it. Any impressions about this TV?

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator
I like the Sony LCD projection units, and they've come down about $500 in price. A 50 inch should be about 2500 plus tax.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Mikey and Robert dudes,

Bose blows. You dudes are experiencing the BOSE DECEPTION EFFECT (BDE). It's a little studied phenomenon whereby the speakers are actually transmitting a soothing inaudible sound that the stimulates the brain producing a reaction similiar to the taste of hot fudge on a scoop of vanilla ice cream. For the love of God, turn off your equipment, gently disconnect your bose speakers, and place them in a tub of lukewarm water....hold them down....don't let them breath the free air....hold them until they struggle no more....only then will you dudes be FREE....

Dudes,

Chester

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mikey C,

I would also recommend the Hitachi 51S500 or the new models coming soon. Probably the best RPTV brands out there.

Lol.

I know this seems harsh but as a former Bose owner, I can tell you he is right.

I would go with a CRT RPTV - best bang for the buck and arguably better than LCD and DLP if you don't mind tweaking your set. I would spend about $1700 - $2200 on an Hitachi and the rest on speakers.

Also, please let us know your room dimensions, seating distance, receiver, and DVD player models.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah it may be harsh but oh so true. I would love to have a Bose owner come to my house and here my theater, then I'd love to see their face when I told them it was half as much as what they paid for those papered woofers.

My advice is sell it on ebay to Joe Sixpack for $1100, let him fall in love with it, then....

Go get a killer SVS sub for $600

And $500 on speakers with a actual midrange.

Adrian P

Stunt Coordinator

Great idea. I have an SVS and love it. As far as speaker recommendations go - Paradigm.

Btw Mikey C,

Here is the press release for the new Hitachi models:

SAN DIEGO, Jun 1, 2004 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The Home Electronics Division of Hitachi America, Ltd., a subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. (HIT) , www.hitachi.us/tv, today launched its 2004 CRT rear-projection television line featuring a new compact industrial design, CableCARD compatibility and a HDMI digital video/audio input. In all, six new CRT models compose the 2004 model line featuring Hitachi's redesigned cabinet.

"The industry trend is thin and sleek," said Leo Delaney, Vice President, marketing for Hitachi America, Ltd., Home Electronics Division. "Hitachi's new industrial design captures the elements of expensive plasma and microdisplay products and translates that style to affordable CRT rear-projection devices with unbeatable picture quality."

At the heart of all Hitachi 2004 televisions is the company's proprietary VirtualHD(TM) 1080p video processor which up-converts all non-1080i signals to match the set's high-definition display resolution. The CRT rear-projection sets feature a 1080i/540p user-selectable display format and adds automatic 3:2 film processing, 26-point advanced video processing, three high definition aspect modes, six standard-definition aspect modes, Digital Color Management and HD Digital Window(TM) Split Screen.

F510 SERIES

With models in the 46-inch, 51-inch and 57-inch categories (46F510, 51F510 and 57F510), Hitachi's F510 HDTV monitor line features a thin, sleek cabinet design and the industry's leading CRT picture quality. Building on the foundation of Hitachi's new Super-Contrast II CRTs and High-Contrast 4-element lens system, the F510 series delivers a rich feature package including a new HDMI digital video/audio input, Day and Night Memory by Input with Timer, adjustable color decoder, four color temperature memory, Black & White film color temperature, 4-step black enhancement, 4-step edge enhancement and a digital 4MB 3D Y/C comb filter.

Also new to the 2004 line is Hitachi's 4:3 Expanded Mode for all TV signals. This technology eliminates the black bars that are digitally embedded in some high-definition signals in addition to subtly stretching 4:3 analog signal sources without creating a "fun-house mirror effect" seen in many inferior picture stretch technologies. Additionally, the F510 line includes Hitachi's Magic Focus auto convergence with timer, new 9-point manual convergence and 117-point fine tuning convergence.

The 46F510 will retail for $1,499.99, the 51F510 for $1,699.99 and the 57F510 for $1,999.99. The sets will ship in Q3 2004.

F710 SERIES

The 65-inch 65F710 adds a larger screen size and integrated ATSC HDTV and digital cable-ready tuner with CableCARD compatibility to the F510 line. The set is equipped with Hitachi's Quick Start Seamless HDTV and NTSC tuner technology eliminating the user confusion often associated with the combination of HDTV and analog signal sources.

The set also adds Hitachi's new Digital Color Management II, TV-as-Center speaker and an optical digital audio output. The 65F710 will retail for $2,999.99 and will ship in Q3 2004.

ULTRAVISION(TM) S715 SERIES

Hitachi's UltraVision S715 CRT rear-projection televisions including the 51-inch 51S715 and the 57-inch 57S715 models, add a new Super-Contrast 5-element lens system and an enhanced industrial design in addition to the new user-friendly Quick Start Seamless HDTV/NTSC tuner, digital cable-ready/CableCARD package. The S715 features a re-designed Roll and Click remote, upgraded 40-watt speaker system and photo memory card USB input.

The 51S715 and 57S715 will retail for $2,199.99 and $2,499.99 respectively and will be available in Q3 2004.

ABOUT HITACHI AMERICA, LTD., HOME ELECTRONICS

RobertC

Agent
LaMarcus
What kind of speakers do you have.What would be
a good speaker to go with a Onkyo TX-DS777.What would
you suggest?To replace the bose cubes.

Regards
RobertC

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
robert, you can just click the link in LaMarcus' signature for "Big Juice Theater", hopefully that noob LaMarcus made the link correctly.

btw, i second the vote for paradigm

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
For a TV set, I'd go with the 65" Mits 65413. This is last years model but its incredible for the $$. You should easily be able to get one for about $2500 with Tax and delivery. CRT sets are your best bang for your buck. The Picture quality is FAR superior than the DLP and LCD sets. Their only flaw really is they are heavy and big. IF you can deal with that flaw, they will last you a solid 10 yrs or more w/o an issue(if you get a good one).

As far as Bose goes, LIsten to others then the Bose and decide what you prefer. Some folks prefer them. I don't but I don't expect everyone to go the route I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks