What's new

What would keep you from buying into the HD formats? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Having to have the player connected to the internet or a phone line in order to just watch the movie."

Exactly. I will NEVER buy a HD player while this is required.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Unlike others, I'm quite confident from the hardware end of the spectrum.

I think that within two years time, once the dust settles and both the public and manufactuerers have a chance to become more familiar with the new formats and are able to smoothe out possible kinks and recognize the full potential of what the hardware has to offer (as has been the scenario in the past), I'm sure there will be little left for concern.

I take more issue with the software end.

The number one deterrant for me, will be if I am unable to replace S-DVD A. with BLU-RAY disc B.

At the very least, if I am to jump in and support this new format which offers such potential, I expect to have mirrored exactly that of what's been available on DVD. At the very least!

In other words, if I am to purchase the newest edition of Alice In Wonderland on Blu-Ray, I expect to have ALL possible extra features, commentary tracks, deleted scenes, storyboards, outtakes, isolated scores, etc.

It should serve to REPLACE my DVd collection, by offering the DEFINITIVE and thus SUPERIOR version of whatever film, in high-def format.

Everytime I purchase a new film in High-Definition, I expect to have my old DVD listed on Ebay that same afternoon. Without the licensing issues that were brought up since the days of laserdisc and with the extra storage capacity, this should be a given!

If there is ANY reason at all that would have me questioning such a decision, be it audio tracks, questionable aspect ratios, etc. I will pass on the release without a second though.

I just don't have enough money, available space, time, etc. to deal with that.

I don't even care if every single DVD ever released (adeptly) is represented in the exact same way on Blue-Ray, with only an improved transfer. That's enough for me.

What I expect, is for Blue-Ray to offer at worst - an exact replica of the previous DVD release, with a much improved upon high-def a/v transfer. At best, scenario a. with improved added content.

I don't think every film requires hours of extensive documentaries and whatnot. What we've been given already is pretty suffice and thorough for the most part. How many different ways can you say the same thing about a movie anyway?

But I expect ALL previous DVD features to be represented.

I expect OAR no matter what!

I expect original restored soundtracks to made available alongside any new or improved upon surround theater remix!

In the case of "niche market titles", animted films, etc. I expect them to be made available as originally produced, complete, uncut and in the best possible audio video quality.

If the slightest indication of what we've been seeing recently with some of Universal's reissues (supposedly "brand new video transfers" which prove marginal at best, at times indistinguishable, trimming of previous extras and basically little motivation to upgrade) start to surface on Blue-Ray, I will jump ship pushing aside all women and children on my way overboard at first sight!

At the same time, I do not want to see the studios manipulating their films in any "questionable" ways to try and adhere to the qualities and resolution high-def. If a movie was shot soft-focus with muted tones or is forty years old... I do not want excessive filtering and color enhancement where it doesn't belong and digital p[rocessing or any such garbage to try and make it look liek Toy Story 2 just because it's on a high-definition format!

All I am hoping for, is that we eventually see all that we've gotten on DVD so far, and hopefully more to come, in a vastly improved high-def image, with the same extras and perhaps additional features.

NOTHING LESS.

If I feel we're beeing slighted in any way and that my motivation to upgrade is being lessened by a lack of effort on the studios part to deliver -- and it could be as trivial as a 7 minute studio short or an inconsequential interview or 14 minure featurette, I simply won't adhere. Not even if we're given the best picture quality in the entire world!

Because in a format opted initially to US! -- finally WE the collectors market! -- I have no intention to send the message out to the studios that this is acceptable and I will support them if this is the direction they intend to take.

I expect the BEST in every way.

I invested too much on standard DVD to accept anything remotely less.

High Definition DVD should be a replacement and not an "addition" to my library.

That's my only real concern at this point and I will wait to see exactly how it's addressed when the first string of releases begin to hit the market.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
When DVD first came out, I bought it for the PC first. It was easy to upgrade and relativley inexpensive... Going a bit off topic, some of the things that will prevent me from upgrading on the PC are...

- Forced previews, Anti Piracy Warnings, 'These Comentaries do not reflect the views' warnings...and anything else that keeps me from going directly to the menu...

-having to buy new hardware to comply with copy write protection to get it to be playable at all.... I don't want to spend another 500$'s on a new monitor, another $550 on a new motherboard, and $200 on a new operating system just to view HD content...

- Not being able to DVR HD shows like I can now. If the new Vista won't let you record and burn shows recorded, that'll be the last straw...

If someone is willing to spend the time and effort neccesary to build a website warning the average consumer about these perils, I'll host it for free on my server. Maby a concerted media campaign and write in campaign is needed to get these changes abolished...

If these copywrite protection measures are thwarting the consumer, it's only a matter of time before the pirates are hacking it and back in buisness again, so what does it help, really?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, the format war is the main thing that will keep me from buying into HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray. Until one format wins out or a universal player is brought to market, I WILL NOT spend a cent on the next generation of DVDs.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I want to see plenty of titles and netflix renting them out. I am one of those who likes to have one and only one player on my rack. I currently have Sony 9100ES which does excellent dvd/cd/sacd playback. I need a blu-ray player that will support the above formats, so obviously I am not buying the first generation of those. The $1800 Pioneer won't even support CDs, from what I hear. I also have to say that I detest the blu-ray group's 'price doesn't matter, let's ignore the mass market' attitude. Blu-Ray is out for me until they change that attitude.

Having said all of the above, I have to applaud Toshiba's aggressive attitude... and if money is available, reviews are good, and initial prices are right, I might get the cheaper Toshiba hd player strictly as an hd player, and let my Sony do SACD/CD/DVD playback. We'll also see if Toshiba can do good SD sclaing/playback. I haven't made up my mind on this though.

But ultimately, my long term fantasy scenario is one dominant high quality, cost effective hd format. Then I would buy a flagship an Hd/dvd/sacd/cd player (sort of like Denon 3910 with hd playback) and pump everything to my new hdmi 1.3 receiver that I will buy as well, and then from there to my new 1080p TV which I will also buy. By that time those TVs will have full 1080p input and have contrast ratio/black level to rival film. Then I'll be happy. :) Ok.. time to get back to the real world.

Stan

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Blindness, unemployment, players over $400 or disks over $25 would keep me from upgrading.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What would keep me from buying an HD format:

[*]Having to connect my player to the internet to have movie playback or access "normal" features that ought to just be on the disc (I don't mind internet used for downloading 50-language subtitles and stuff like that).
[*]A format that is unable to offer at least 50 gigs in dual-layer mode. ;)[/list]

What would keep me from buying a particular HD movie title?

[*]Improper mastering with artifacts such as DNR, edge-ringing, or lack of fine detail from fitlering.
[*]Improper film-digital transfer of large-format films that are clearly inferior to the original large-format prints. Ex: Hello Dolly in 70mm was like looking through a window...better than any IMAX I've ever seen. If the HD version looks blurry, there will be no excuse. If the 1080P version of Ben-Hur or Oaklahoma are as soft-focus and "off" as their current DVD which bear no resemblence to the razor-sharp large-format film image original...the studio should be shut down and everyone sent home.
[*]HD representations of films that have improper "presentations" issues such as incorrect color-timing or framing.
[*]HD versions of movies that drop *essential* bonus features that were already on the DVD. I don't mind some bonus material being dropped, but not anything really worth having. My plan is to sell off my DVDs as I replace them with HD versions...I don't want to lose valuable bonus material in the process.[/list]

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
1. The internet connection issue - I don't have one at home and won't be getting one under any circumstances, so no matter how good it looks, if it requires it I won't get it.

2. No or slight improvement over what I already have. My Sony HDTV (with HDMI) arrived just this week, accompanied by an upconverting DVD player, and so far it's like looking out a window at stuff that's happening outside. I can't imagine either of the formats being THAT much better than what I've got, but I've been surprised before.

3. The sorts of movies typically released by Criterion being unavailable. They wouldn't have to come from Criterion specifically, but if what's available is mostly the sort of stuff that appeals to adolescents, I've got no reason to upgrade.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup:

I'd take Babette's Feast or 7 Samari in 1080P HD over a crystal-clear version of American Pie any day.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
SD = Complete control over media and HD = No control over the media. Until that equation changes, I will not be buying into HD.

That means:

1. No invasive firmware.
2. No 90 minute limit on time-shifting.
3. Fair use extended to HD.
4. No HDMI.

I fully intend to keep on purchasing SD until it changes.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I think you mean no required HDMI to get full HD resolution.

After all...HDMI provides a higher-quality image over component all things being equal since it maintains an all-digital pathway from disc to display...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I'm not fond of HDCP, and there seem to be some serious implementation issues, but HDMI is actually a pretty good idea -- get rid of that snake's nest of cabling [three for component video, six for DVD-A and SACD, another one for digital audio...].

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The more I read about these formats the more I'm convinced there's no way they could convince me TO buy into them. The studios have done their best to utterly cripple these formats from the beginning, and they've succeeded as far as I'm concerned.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it!

c'mon you big 1080P daddy...slap me!!! Call me a high-res bitch!

:D

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It may be more convenient for you but it is also easier for the studios to control. That's why the studios want consumers to use HDMI. That's why I refuse to use HDMI even if I had HDMI connections on my tv.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

How big is your TV?

No doubt about it...on a big screen (like a 100" projection system) HDMI/DVI is the only way to go if you've got a digital display device to get the ultimate in picture quality. While I don't like the idea of 'draconian' copy measures any more than the next consumer, I'm not about to pass up a pristine all-digital 1080P picture to prove the point...

:D

Manus

Second Unit
"The more I read about these formats the more I'm convinced there's no way they could convince me TO buy into them. The studios have done their best to utterly cripple these formats from the beginning, and they've succeeded as far as I'm concerned".

I'm with you. These formats gave been designed exclusively with the Studios in mind.Not the consumer.For the studios ,by the studios .
I'm not whoring for any of them ;)

~M~

FrancisP

Screenwriter

There is actually more than a point to be made here. If the choice is potentially losing my recorded material, most of which will likely never make it to dvd, or pristine pictures then 1080P loses. If fair use was extended to HD and studios were forced to honor it in their copy protection schemes then that would allay my fears. If the invasive firmware weren't so invasive then it would allay my fears.

To accept HD in its current form would be the equivalent of putting a kick me sign on your back and just let the studios run over you.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've made it this far without ever needing to copy one of my pre-recorded DVDs. I can probably survive not needing to copy the pre-recorded HD material that I buy as well.

Managed Copy should (fingers crossed) allow HTPC users to perform their aspect ratio control with HD media and scaling manipulation and push those HD pictures to other displays hooked up to their network. If in practice those functions are not permitted via managed copy then I would understand why some users would find the "copy protection" of HD media restrictive.

What are you talking about? How does the copy measures applied to pre-recorded HD media affect your ability to continue to copy the standard-definition video that you currently record? What do the two things have to with each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks