What's new

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
When I wait in a queue for tickets, I am waiting "in line".

When I buy tickets on the internet, I get them "online".

However, my New York friend uses "on line" to mean "in line" as in, "did you wait on line at the theater to get Harry Potter tickets?" Very confusing. Is this an east coast thing?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It might be fine to say "cans" in the states, but in French-speaking areas you'll be saying "I went to the "15" film festival."
I generally hold to the "When in Rome" philosophy, which is why I chose to prounounce "Versailles" as "VER-sales," when in the Ohio town (despite my inner French teacher rapping my knuckles). And if I went to the French town I would pronounce it properly - "VER-sigh" and with French accent.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Mine is a bit more vague, but I really do hear the expression a lot:

"They are chomping at the bit to get going."

No...the expression is CHAMPING...not chomping.

There...I have that out of my system.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
or hard tp pronounce words
How does one pronounce "tp"? :D Just kidding. ;)
I was at Dunkin Donuts and I swore the Spanish girl was asking me if I wanted a Churro (you know, those long, crunchy pastry sticks covered in cinnamon). I was wondering when DnD started selling Churros, so I asked her what she said and she said it again "Do you want Churro with that?".
Finally I realized she was asking if I wanted sugar, but was pronouncing it "Chugar".

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned earlier, nuclear pronouced "nucular" annoys me to no end.

Also, I find strange that Jaguar (the car brand) is supposed to be pronounced "jag-YOU-ar" as opposed to "jag-WAR."

Is that how British people pronounce that word?

RichardK

Second Unit
i can't stand ANYONE who replaces a 't' with a 'd' when the word clearly, unmistakebly is spelled with a 't'...

baltimore, someone who says baldimore...argghhh!!!

button, someone who says buddon...

you get the picture.

if you work in radio or television and you have this handicap....shame on you.....

argghhh!!! ya'll really make me angry!!!

i am from Texas, born and raised, so i can say ya'll anytime i want to, DARNIT!!!

peace...

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
When people say the word escape, but they pronounce it "eck-scape", or they say especially but pronounce it "eck-specially". Where are the invisible C's coming from?!?

But the one I hate the most is anyone I ever hear sing the national anthem at a sporting event and they sing the word perilous as

"per-o-lous" with a long O as in the word smoke.

It's per-i-lous. As in peril you morons. You know, danger??

ERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"I seen"
IT'S "I'VE SEEN" OR "I HAVE SEEN" OR EVEN "I SAW", BUT NOT "I SEEN" OK???? GOOD FREAKING GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
*ahem* Sorry, I needed that :b

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hampster dance p thing.
harry kalas is a hall of fame announcer but when he says "stoled second base." i want to punch him.
my mom says. "living room fruniture" not furniture.
how about organ-ize-ation.
wife from memphis says salmon not sam-in.
is it color-ah-do as open up and say aah.
or color-add-o as in add 1+1.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Some words that people really should be able to pronounce:

ethylenediaminetetraacetates

floccinauccinihilipilification

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I mean, just how stupid do you have to be not to pronounce these correctly?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Oh come on! You Canadians are in more denial than if I said I have never "pahked the cah in the hahvahd yahd". I've heard hockey players from New Brunswick (Donny Sweeney) to Montreal (Ray Bourque) to Nova Scotia (Glenn Murray) to outside Toronto (Joe Thornton) to Vancouver (Cam Neely) to all the way in Klimax, Saskatchewan (Gord Kluzak) and every one off them says "aboot" or "aboat".

And BTW, offense is pronounced "AW-fence", not "OH-fence" and it is spelled with an 's'. After all, you do not (and cannot) pronounce Ottawa as "OH-ta-wa"!
agreed. it's aw-fence.

and i hate when people pronounce reese's pieces as "reesies piecies". i guess it's hard to realize that reese's is supposed to sound like pieces.

CJ

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Side note: As a Canadian, I'd just like to say that I have never, EVER said 'aboot'. It's always been 'about' ... never 'aboot'. I *think* that's only a east-coast thing.
Blame mid-western Canada for "aboot", it's certainly not an Eastern thing, especially since my fellow Newfoundlanders are known for impeccable grammar :D

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I've heard the word "electronic" pronounced as L - EK - TRON - IK. Well, that's just crazy talk. Also, as an Atlantic Canadian, I have yet to hear aboot or aboat. Do some of y'all hear with an accent? Eh?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Who cares how the British want to pronounce jaguar? Its an American car company now!
My mis-pro-nounce peeve word of the day is ROUTE.
Example: What is the quickest route to get to the fetish party?
My problem is people who say it "Root" instead of "R-Out".
That is all.

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
The name of the city I live in is pronounced like "Pweh-blo" not "Pyeh-blo". When I was in high school, the principal used the "Pyeh-blo" pronunciation. He's Hispanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks