What's new

What Will Warner Archive's Next Release Be? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I recently asked WA on their FB page if there are any updaes and/or hope for Bronco, Lawman and Colt .45 being released and while I didn't get not the answer I was hoping for their response was encouraging. I would say their reply appplies to The Warner Detective shows like 77 Sunset Strip as well:

"No update...but do keep up the hope. We intend to make this a reality. A lot more work is required before we can get going on these."

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Randy Korstick said:
I recently asked WA on their FB page if there are any updaes and/or hope for Bronco, Lawman and Colt .45 being released and while I didn't get not the answer I was hoping for their response was encouraging. I would say their reply appplies to The Warner Detective shows like 77 Sunset Strip as well:

"No update...but do keep up the hope. We intend to make this a reality. A lot more work is required before we can get going on these."
I got Roku box and am doing a trial to their Instant Archive to check it out. I have been watching 77 SS and Hawaiian Eye. I really would like to see DVDs of all the WB shows, however. I'm not a streaming kind of guy.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Guy Foulard said:
It's $49.99 on their site now. :(
Sorry about that...I had thought of posting about it sooner but I thought it might be a bit of a risk and didn't want anyone else to fall into it based on my reference until I knew what the results would be. I honestly didn't think the price would change so quickly. Next time I'll post right away with a "buyer beware" comment.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Obsolete Man said:
That does seem like a no-brainer. I mean, Dukes was a rare WB show that didn't go into limbo for a significant amount of time due to low sales. Surely there would be some kind of market for Enos.
I was hoping it would be in as a bonus disc with the final season of The Dukes. I believe it was only 18 episodes so it wouldn't be just overly cost-prohibitive.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I asked about "Tarzan" S2 today and they say it's getting close. I at least shouldn't have to worry it won't be out before the end of the year so once that comes that will cross off one of the Top 5 titles I hoped to have completed when the program was first announced ("Girl From UNCLE" being another; "The FBI" will eventually be #3).

The music clearance issues are unfortunately going to bedevil *every* Warner produced title (by which I mean originally produced by Warners) between 1957 and 1963. According to a book on TV music by Jon Burlingame, one of the foremost experts in the field, Warner switched exclusively to tracked music for all their TV programs starting in 1957 (after having original scored done the previous two years) and didn't end this until 1963. Thus, every title has issues with multiple music libraries in addition to songs which explains the absence of all the Warner detective and western shows of this era save for "Cheyenne" (which got its headstart on all other titles thanks to its first two seasons having no tracked issues) and "Maverick" from WHV. I know I'm fortunate in that "Maverick" is really the only Warner produced title of this era I had a high priority interest in, but I hope eventually they do get these matters straightened out so that I might decide to sample these other programs when they become available.

For MGM produced programs, I do hope we'll see S2 of Kildare soon. Meantime, I'm tiding myself over by finally getting through the episodes of "The Lieutenant" that I haven't watched.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack P said:
I asked about "Tarzan" S2 today and they say it's getting close. I at least shouldn't have to worry it won't be out before the end of the year so once that comes that will cross off one of the Top 5 titles I hoped to have completed when the program was first announced ("Girl From UNCLE" being another; "The FBI" will eventually be #3).

The music clearance issues are unfortunately going to bedevil *every* Warner produced title (by which I mean originally produced by Warners) between 1957 and 1963. According to a book on TV music by Jon Burlingame, one of the foremost experts in the field, Warner switched exclusively to tracked music for all their TV programs starting in 1957 (after having original scored done the previous two years) and didn't end this until 1963. Thus, every title has issues with multiple music libraries in addition to songs which explains the absence of all the Warner detective and western shows of this era save for "Cheyenne" (which got its headstart on all other titles thanks to its first two seasons having no tracked issues) and "Maverick" from WHV. I know I'm fortunate in that "Maverick" is really the only Warner produced title of this era I had a high priority interest in, but I hope eventually they do get these matters straightened out so that I might decide to sample these other programs when they become available.

For MGM produced programs, I do hope we'll see S2 of Kildare soon. Meantime, I'm tiding myself over by finally getting through the episodes of "The Lieutenant" that I haven't watched.

Nice explanation, but I've always wondered why none of these musical rights issues apply to TV broadcasts (as on Encore Westerns) or on the current WB streaming service.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For the same reason why musical rights have never applied to TV broadcasts of other shows that then had music replacement on DVD, but not in their broadcasts. The streaming service is clearly a case where Warners has up those episodes where there are no music issues at present as they have not made all episoes of a particular season available for those detective titles that are up.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
What about Welcome Back Kotter,first season was put out 2007.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up about another previous rarity. Now on Warner Streaming is the first 13 (out of 24) episodes of Bronk, starring Jack Palance. Other than the half dozen ones TNT ran, the show hasn't seen the light of day since it originally aired. Like I said, there's no telling what show will pop up next as it seems everything Warner owns is in play, provided they have available transfers and no music issues. All of the MGM shows were put on 1-inch when Turner owned the company so those shows are far more likely to show up first.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Seems to me that since Dr. Kildare apparently did so well, that Season 2 should be announced soon.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Is there a chance that they´ll release the Robert Urich series "Spenser for hire" on DVD?

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
There is always a chance for any WB show!!

I am gonna keep the faith that since a WB rep posted to me on FBook that YOUNG MAVERICK may be out next year, that I will get it fairly soon and have the entirety of the MAVERICK titles finally in my collection.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Neil Brock said:
Just a heads up about another previous rarity. Now on Warner Streaming is the first 13 (out of 24) episodes of Bronk, starring Jack Palance. Other than the half dozen ones TNT ran, the show hasn't seen the light of day since it originally aired. Like I said, there's no telling what show will pop up next as it seems everything Warner owns is in play, provided they have available transfers and no music issues. All of the MGM shows were put on 1-inch when Turner owned the company so those shows are far more likely to show up first.
Does that indicate a likely later archive release, or rather none now that it's streaming?

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, Warner!!!! We seriously demand a DVD-R of Suddenly Susan, Veronica's Closet, Two of A Kind, In The House, The Parent'Hood, Eve, and Savannah.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just finished watching LOCAL HERO again. I hope Warner Archives sees fit to release this classic soon. Second and third on my list would be RYANS DAUGHTER and GOODBYE MR CHIPS. [Maybe Peter OToole's finest performance.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks