What's new

What Will Be Living on Earth 5000 Years From Now? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Barring a major event, I would say humans. We are now at the point of preventing our own evolution so I would say people exactly like us walking around. Unless of course we decide to change some things about ourselves and add an extra finger or something. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'd agree. Remember, Dinos had hundreds of millions of years, meanwhile Humanity has only a drop in the bucket so far ;) In 5000 years, barring something crazy, I expect people.. though society itself may be changed.

Unless, of course, we've just awakened the blob-monster

http://www.adn.com/2835/story/864687.html

Pleasant dreams :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can definitely imagine humans still being here...of course, there will definitely be some slight evolutionary changes due to climate fluctuations and such.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Even if the worst were to happen due to global warming, humans would still be around. There just won't be as many of us.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]We are now at the point of preventing our own evolution so I would say people exactly like us walking around."

I'm curious. Exactly how are we "preventing" our own evolution?[/COLOR]

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We aren't "preventing" our own evolution so much as tinkering with it. We keep alive the "weaker" people through advanced medicine and social welfare programs. Without such programs the weaker would die off without breeding as they do in the animal kingdom.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I must say I can't stand the programs that talk about how things will be After We're Gone. I'd rather not engage in talk about the death of the human race, thank you.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Robert, does that mean you're not doing anything to prevent it? Every little bit helps, you know...

Dennis, you've perhaps opened up the biggest can of worms of all. Talking about limiting the human population is one huge taboo, but this... Is humanity more susceptible to pandemic or dieoff because of this?

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Don Solosan /forum/thread/290526/what-will-be-living-on-earth-5000-years-from-now#post_3586283

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I must say I can't stand the programs that talk about how things will be After We're Gone. I'd rather not engage in talk about the death of the human race, thank you
You know I grow tired of some moron somewhere talking about how much better the Earth would be without humans. And since Life After People is a TV show made by likely people of the ilk that make other TV shows I fully expected the show to be very anti-human. But from what I have so far on the show it appears to be implying that overall the lack of humans has actually caused harm.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
We aren't "preventing" our own evolution so much as tinkering with it. We keep alive the "weaker" people through advanced medicine and social welfare programs. Without such programs the weaker would die off without breeding as they do in the animal kingdom.

Yes, even things we take for granted such as eyeglasses are probably delaying or even nullifying evolution of human eyesight...though one could argue that medical advancements are taking human eyesight further, faster than evolution would have.

Edited by Brian Perry - 7/20/2009 at 03:36 am GMT

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Scott Strang

You know I grow tired of some moron somewhere talking about how much better the Earth would be without humans. And since Life After People is a TV show made by likely people of the ilk that make other TV shows I fully expected the show to be very anti-human. But from what I have so far on the show it appears to be implying that overall the lack of humans has actually caused harm.
From what I've seen of those programs, they typically have talking heads describe in glowing terms how wonderful it would be for human artifacts to "go back to nature". The hell with that. I want civilization to continue, which I hope answers Don's question.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Looking at our history, and where we are today, I don't see how anyone could argue that humans will still be here in 5000 years without a drastic change for the better over the next 1000 years. Either destruction of ourselves, or over population and lack of natural resources, which would lead to destruction of ourselves.

Like I said, rats, roaches and crab grass. In 10 billion years the earth will be dominated by Trex sized rats and roaches, I think I just thought of a new movie, Michael Bay could direct it and McG could produce it.

This seems to already be fast tracked towards this, so IBTL

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Warning labels everywhere. "

I think the people who administer the Darwin Awards might disagree!
[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks