What's new

What WB Shows on WB Archives? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
GMBurns said:
I'm jumping in late to this conversation, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between pressed DVD and DVD-R? Do the DVD-R discs have a shorter life or are they of lesser quality? Since I really enjoy shows like The F.B.I. and Tarzan I'm willing to pay the higher price, and if CBS started an on-demand program I'd be willing to pay higher prices for shows like Cannon and Barnaby Jones. Are they a bad investment because pressed discs last longer than the burn-on-demand versions? Thanks.
I don't think its an issue but if its something that you're really concerned about, just burn yourself backup copies. Not a big deal and certainly not anything to be that worried about.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Who can figure what's BOD and what isn't? Logan's Run? A bad, half season show from 35 years ago with a little run on TNT. And that gets a general release and Courtship of Eddie's Father and The FBI don't? But SciFi sells, even crappy SciFi.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
GMBurns said:
I'm jumping in late to this conversation, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between pressed DVD and DVD-R? Do the DVD-R discs have a shorter life or are they of lesser quality? Since I really enjoy shows like The F.B.I. and Tarzan I'm willing to pay the higher price, and if CBS started an on-demand program I'd be willing to pay higher prices for shows like Cannon and Barnaby Jones. Are they a bad investment because pressed discs last longer than the burn-on-demand versions? Thanks.
It is hard to say for sure. Pre-recorded DVDs (or "pressed" DVDs) are produced using molding machines that physically stamp data onto the DVD, while DVD-R discs are composed of two acrylic discs, bonded with an adhesive to each other and a recording dye that can store data through an external "burning" process using a dvd burner. One can burn DVD-R's on their computer in the same fashion as CD-R's. The question is how well the dye retains the data, and how easily it is impacted by external forces. Theoretically, a burned DVD-R should last longer then we probably would need it. However, how does one know for sure until they've had them for a long period of time with no issues. Some of the concerns: - The question of the quality of the blank media being used and the drive doing the burning. Just check online reviews about media and see all the references to creating so called "coasters" or bad disks. Could that mean a higher failure rate later or only during the burning process? - Burning speed. There has been some evidence that it is better to burn at slower speeds. - Some people have had disks go bad, others say not. How does one really know if they have disks that have gone bad if they don't actually check them all periodically. - When you receive DVD-R's from another source how do you know the quality of the media used and/or what was used to perform the burining process (drive/speed). In some case, you can check the disk using a DVD Identifier program to determine the media brand. With WBA, last I tried, their disks are not identifiable, so it is an unknown. In the end, everyone has their own experiences and you will find debates going on both sides. Each has to decide on their own how comfortable they are with the media they receive. As Neil stated, you can make a backup using your own media and hardware, or backup to a hard drive, if concerned. Best thing to do is just treat them with care when in use or stored.

smithb said:
It is hard to say for sure. Pre-recorded DVDs (or "pressed" DVDs) are produced using molding machines that physically stamp data onto the DVD, while DVD-R discs are composed of two acrylic discs, bonded with an adhesive to each other and a recording dye that can store data through an external "burning" process using a dvd burner. One can burn DVD-R's on their computer in the same fashion as CD-R's. The question is how well the dye retains the data, and how easily it is impacted by external forces. Theoretically, a burned DVD-R should last longer then we probably would need it. However, how does one know for sure until they've had them for a long period of time with no issues. Some of the concerns: - The question of the quality of the blank media being used and the drive doing the burning. Just check online reviews about media and see all the references to creating so called "coasters" or bad disks. Could that mean a higher failure rate later or only during the burning process? - Burning speed. There has been some evidence that it is better to burn at slower speeds. - Some people have had disks go bad, others say not. How does one really know if they have disks that have gone bad if they don't actually check them all periodically. - When you receive DVD-R's from another source how do you know the quality of the media used and/or what was used to perform the burining process (drive/speed). In some case, you can check the disk using a DVD Identifier program to determine the media brand. With WBA, last I tried, their disks are not identifiable, so it is an unknown. In the end, everyone has their own experiences and you will find debates going on both sides. Each has to decide on their own how comfortable they are with the media they receive. As Neil stated, you can make a backup using your own media and hardware, or backup to a hard drive, if concerned. Best thing to do is just treat them with care when in use or stored.
Also, don't put paper labels on your DVD-R. Almost all my bad discs from the olden days have them (before I knew better). I use an Epson printer which prints directly on inkjet printable discs now. From years as a videographer and doing films transfers, I like Taiyo-Yuden blanks and I get the 4x ones and burn them at that speed.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
     Quote: I feel the same way about pricing being the main complaint I have with the program.  As you said, the jury is still out concerning DVD-Rs.  And yes, all the studios have their good and bad points.  I don't believe anyone is saying otherwise.  The concern I have is that this becomes the new physical media model for classic TV, as studios see the greater profit margin and less stress.  I believe that's what Howie is getting at as well in his reply below.   I'm basically concerned about the same issue, Howie.  If the MOD program model is helping to see real niche-type titles get out, then fine.  But I honestly wouldn't define Cheyenne, The F.B.I., The Courtship of Eddie's Father, or Tarzan as niche classic titles.  I'm sure others will disagree with me on this but I just think those titles have too much name recognition to be defined as niche titles.  Although I personally don't have an interest in every one of those titles, I do believe all are well known enough to have warranted pressed disc releases.  Using some films as another example, I hated that Warners didn't follow through on their plans to create an Abbott & Costello pressed disc collection and instead went the Archive route with some of those movies.  When I see brand name personalities like that getting Archive treatment as opposed to pressed disc treatment I cringe.  That's just not niche material, imho, so I am hesitant to be really excited about the WB Archive program overall.  I'm happy for the fans of the shows that have been released.  It's not that.  I'm just concerned with what I see as an ominous future for almost every classic title down the line.  I really don't want to see everything vintage get relegated to DVD-R status.  Thankfully we have been given at least a momentary reprieve with the release news about Maverick.  Hopefully we'll get more news like that as opposed to everything being dumped into the Archive line. Gary "the bottom line for me is I don't want to see the 'Archive' model take over and replace pressed disc releases completely when it comes to classic TV" O.
I agree with this 100%. The A&C releases really diappointed me. At the very least, I still think that they should adopt the TCM model with limited pressings for their most anticipated titles. I think that it would be good business for them. I still haven't purchased the A&C disks, but had they had a limited pressing, I certainly would have. If the Warner Archive can print special boxes and inserts for collections like that for Jean Harlow, they certainly can press a few disks. I suppose they just don't want to admit that anyone would prefer pressed disks to DVD-R. Well, that attitude is costing them money.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
JoeDoakes said:
Why are those so much better?
There are people out there who rate DVD blanks against various criteria to determine what is best to use. See the following link as a sample: http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
JoeDoakes said:
I agree with this 100%. The A&C releases really diappointed me. At the very least, I still think that they should adopt the TCM model with limited pressings for their most anticipated titles. I think that it would be good business for them. I still haven't purchased the A&C disks, but had they had a limited pressing, I certainly would have. If the Warner Archive can print special boxes and inserts for collections like that for Jean Harlow, they certainly can press a few disks. I suppose they just don't want to admit that anyone would prefer pressed disks to DVD-R. Well, that attitude is costing them money.
Ditto on the A&C releases. Earlier I spoke about Warner titles that have gone from pressed to burned. Here's the flip side: I have to give cudos to who ever authorized the recent Ma & Pa Kettle *pressed* release of *all* the films in a set. The last 2 films of that series were initially BOD titles from TCM through Universal. I was just about to pull the trigger on the burned copies when the pressed disk set was released. Even though I already owned the first 2 sets I double dipped on this to get pressed copies of those last 2 films - in spite of them not being as good as the first 8. This somewhat gives me hope on the Universal front. There are *several* titles I'd purchase from TCM *if* they were pressed. The simple fact that a *very* niche title got a BOD release and was followed by a pressed release is very encouraging. Yes, it might be a simple one-off type thing but it's still a good thing. I have to think that WB is losing out on *lots* of sales due to the new focus on BOD. Maybe they're making 2-3 times what they'd make on a pressed copy. OK... fine... but I have to think that a pressed copy would sell 2-3 times what a burned copy would *even if* it were offered at the same price.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by smithb

There are people out there who rate DVD blanks against various criteria to determine what is best to use. See the following link as a sample:
http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp

Curious that this site does not mention VERBATIMs at all. I have had nothing but good luck with the AZO VERBATIM brand and think they are close to the quality of Taiyo Yuden if not just as good and reliable. It's a shame that VERBATIM sullied their name by releasing their crappy LIFE SERIES brand. I think it's affected their reputation very badly.

Professor Echo said:
Curious that this site does not mention VERBATIMs at all. I have had nothing but good luck with the AZO VERBATIM brand and think they are close to the quality of Taiyo Yuden if not just as good and reliable. It's a shame that VERBATIM sullied their name by releasing their crappy LIFE SERIES brand. I think it's affected their reputation very badly.
I used Verbatim for a long time with excellent results. Then, I had a bad spindle of one hundred DVD-R with many failures. I switched to T-Y DVD-R at that point and have had flawless performance. I still use the dual-layer Verbatim DVD+R for my dual-layer burns and they have been great. My problem batch of DVD-R could have just been a fluke.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sometimes you can get fluky batches of blanks but I've also learned that my DVD recorder can sometimes get balky with accepting certain brands even though the discs are fine and can be used in my burner. I've alternated between Sony, Memorex and Verbatim. NEVER get a cheap discount store brand like Staples or HP.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I highly recommend Sony Blank DVD-R for any recording.....They are great for archiving. I rarely have a problem with this brand of DVD-R's. And I can get a great deal at the local Fry's store by my house. They usually cost around $29.99-34.99 for a spindle of 100 DVD's.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
mrz7 said:
I highly recommend Sony Blank DVD-R for any recording.....They are great for archiving. I rarely have a problem with this brand of DVD-R's. And I can get a great deal at the local Fry's store by my house. They usually cost around $29.99-34.99 for a spindle of 100 DVD's.
I tend to go with Sony and Verbatim. Costco generally has the Sony's (100 pack) at a normal price of $29.99 but puts them on sale for $10 off a couple of times a year. Hard to resist at $0.20 a disk.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am now using only Taiyo Yuden and I haven't had a failure yet. I cannot say that for the other brands I've used.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisALM

I am now using only Taiyo Yuden and I haven't had a failure yet.

FWIW, I only use Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs as well. They've been extremely good to me. I've also been using the Verbatim dual-layered DVD+R discs with great success when I need the extra capacity. But if I only need 2 hours worth of material burned onto a disc I use Taiyo Yuden every time. I've had Sony's and other brands sent to me and they've always worked, but I'm just too comfortable with the TY brand to buy anything else when I'm doing the burning.

Gary "good conversation, even if it is a bit off-topic" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've had 100% success with Taiyo Yuden and am reluctant to use anything else. However, I've picked up the Sony Printable DVDs that Costco sells because the price was so reasonable and have had similar good luck with those. Time will tell if they hold up over time, but I'm fairly confident they will. The absolute worst was a spindle of Comp USA discs I bought years ago back when they had brick and mortar stores. Virtually all the discs locked up at some point from the very first. and were filled with digital pixilation. I've recently played Taiyo Yuden discs that are now eight years old with no problems whatsoever.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Neil Brock said:
Who can figure what's BOD and what isn't? Logan's Run? A bad, half season show from 35 years ago with a little run on TNT. And that gets a general release and Courtship of Eddie's Father and The FBI don't? But SciFi sells, even crappy SciFi.
Given the high price of some MOD titles it's ironic they probably could've made more money with that one as an archive release rather than pressed, but go figure, the ways of the WAC are mysterious at times.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
HenryDuBrow said:
Given the high price of some MOD titles it's ironic they probably could've made more money with that one as an archive release rather than pressed, but go figure, the ways of the WAC are mysterious at times.
Not so sure. I am getting Logan's Run on DVD. But i would of passed on it if it was DVD-R. Oh yea, my Amazon pre-order price was $23 for those 14 episodes. What does a half season hour long show cost you on MOD, $40? Wow, pressed discs, and lower price! The only reason they would make less money, is cause it cost less for me to buy. But they may also sell more copies at that lower price. Like what was said, it is not that good of a show. But at $23 i will take it. It had a few good episodes. That makes it worth the price if a pizza and coke. IMO.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's still a bit of a weird choice for pressed discs given its cult status, especially these days with so little coming out in the classic department on DVD from the majors not the least from Warner so some of their release decisions I'll never understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks