What's new

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

Adam W

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Fight Club and Sleepy Hallow. You really shouldn't buy one of the best DVD's for your first purchase, you can only go down from Fight Club :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Mine was The Arrival in June 1997. Back then, there was a total of about 12 DVD's to pick from.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
My first DVD was The Birdcage. I picked it up along with my RCA 5200p way back in Feb '98. There wasn't alot to choose from back then so I figured the bright picture on the Birdcage would show off the better picture quality. Now nearly 700 DVDs later I still look at that movie on my DVD shelf and think back to how I got started collecting DVDs.

Natalie F

Stunt Coordinator
The first DVD I ever bought was: Charlie's Angels, the movie, in June 2002 I think. But only because it was on special! I swear! (because unlike you guys, I don't have the T&A excuse for buying this movie) ;)

Julia*D

Agent
The first DVD I ever had was given to me for my birthday -- it was The Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes. But the first ones I ever bought were Frequency and Shanghai Noon in November 2000. Had to watch them with the DVD-ROM on my computer with the tiny monitor (there's nothing quite like seeing Jackie Chan fighting when he's only 2 inches tall.) Got a DVD player for Christmas that year and have been buying DVDs like a maniac ever since. :)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
August 97 I bought Sleepers and Batman and the crappy Panasonic A100 (i think that was the model).

-Ian

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Alien and Alien 2. Told my wife to pick out a movie for herself and she picked The Wedding Singer.

Foolishly bought at Tower. Mighty annoyed when I searched online for movies and discovered places like 800.com.

-paul

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Back in 97, i bought myself a copy of Twister, Anaconda.... no really, and Wild Things.

And no, i do not have Anaconda any longer, but the range on offer was limited....

Gawd, the things we do....

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Depressingly the first DVD I recall owning was 'Lord of the Dance' with that git Micheal Flatley in it. It came free with the DVD Rom in my PC at the time, I didn't want to take it but they forced me. It has since been inflicted on my Parents. :)

When I finally got around to purchasing a DVD player and discs to go with it I believe my first DVD was 'The Thing' which I still have. (But would trade in for a second for a decent anamorphic transfer, complete with the excellent commentary at least of course).

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
Ghostbusters R1. Didn't even have a player at the time.
Bought the Matrix and Black Rain with the Player when I finally got one.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first disc I bought was Das Boot. The sound had been remastered for 5.1 digital. The movie is simply the best WWII submarine movie ever made. It is odd how many people bought DV discs before they bought a machine. I did the same thing.....movie first and player second.

I wish they would redo Stalingrad in the same manner that they did Das Boot.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Terminator 2

Bought it back in 1998. It was the first version and non-anamorphic. I sold it back in 2001 I think. Now I have the Extreme Edition.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about that. The first time I became aware of DVD was when a guy told me about it at an electronic store. One computer was showing ST Generations, and when we asked about it we were told it had a DVD-ROM -back then this was new, I had never even heard of this.

This was the first week of March 1998 (it's a long and boring story about how I know this, so just trust me on this). So there were definitely ST Generations DVDs in NZ in March 1998.

PetterLiokel

Auditioning
U.S. Marshals (Special Edition) in August 98.

I will never forget how yellow Tommy Lee Jones chicken suit was. What a picture quality.:D

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Enter the Dragon: 25th Anniversary
The Matrix

Purchased both of these to watch on my PC DVD-ROM back in winter '99. I only had a 15inch monitor, YUCK!

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I bought "Blazing Saddles", "Bonnie And Clyde" and "Bladerunner" in 1997 about 8 months before purchasing my first DVD player! I wanted to be sure the format was definitely better than LD which I had been collecting for 12 years prior.

I started just buying widescreen films that were only available full-screen on LD, but after my CRT projector was installed the following year and I saw the improvement on the big screen, the LD's started selling off like crazy! ;)

I must have gotten 20 Warner titles free through their "buy 3, get one free" promo, as well as the fantastic bargains of 800.com reel.com and buy.com!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Ah, the good old days...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks