What's new

What was your first TV Show Box Set? (2 Viewers)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Cowboy said:
First set was Mary Tyler Moore Season 1.Have been hooked on Tv on Dvd since.
MTM was my first set, too. I think it was "one" of the first "vintage" TV shows on DVD to hit the market. Sanford and Son comes to mind, too. Does anyone know what the first season set was?
MTM wasn't even one of my favorite shows, but I was just so intrigued with the idea of owning a complete season on a few discs and was anxious to jump on the DVD bandwagon so I bought it. I think it was $40 back then.
Eventually, the studios started releasing my favorite shows on DVD, so I ended up selling my MTM set to make room for my real favs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The ex-wife picked up stuff like Stargate SG-1, X-Files, Sex and the City, etc ... back when they were first released. I didn't really watch or care about it at the time. I wasn't really watching television much in those days.

With that being said. The first dvd tv season sets I picked up on my own, were the first five seasons of Numb3rs. (I found them for $10 or $15 each, at a post-xmas sale at WalMart in early 2011). They were largely an impulse buy. The premise of Numb3rs sounded interesting. (I have an engineering/math type background). I never really watched the show previously.

More generally, I was a late bloomer to dvds and blurays. Before 2011, I had very little to no interest in dvds and blurays. Over most of the 2000's decade, I only owned around two dozen or so dvds. (Mostly stuff like Star Trek movies, Cheech and Chong, Beavis and Butthead, various music concert dvds, Star Wars, Terminator, Matrix, etc ...). Most of these dvds were rarely ever watched.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Walter Kittel said:
First television on DVD, regardless of episode count was the original release of Star Trek: TOS with two episodes per disc, starting in late 1999.
I was tempted to buy those two-episode Star Trek dvd discs, back in the late 1990's.

Though after doing a mental calculation of how much it would cost to buy all 79 episodes, I decided against it due to the "sticker shock". (IIRC, each disc was around $20 each at the time. Occasionally I saw them for $15 on sale).

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I bought a few series on VHS before dvd came out, and still have my set of Twin Peaks,
"V" the original mini series and the final battle. On DVD, Star Trek TNG was for sure
an early purchase.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was tempted to buy those two-episode Star Trek dvd discs, back in the late 1990's.
Though after doing a mental calculation of how much it would cost to buy all 79 episodes, I decided against it due to the "sticker shock". (IIRC, each disc was around $20 each at the time. Occasionally I saw them for $15 on sale).
My recollection was $12.00 per disc from one of the bigger internet retailers, but it may have been more. That was too many beers ago to remember. :)
- Walter.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Walter Kittel said:
My recollection was $12.00 per disc from one of the bigger internet retailers, but it may have been more. That was too many beers ago to remember. :)
- Walter.
Even at $12 per disk, the sticker shock would have still been too high for me. Assuming 79 episodes distributed over 40 two-episode discs, getting all the episodes would have cost around $480.

In hindsight, I'm glad I never picked up any of the TOS dvds over the years. Around a month ago, I picked up the three TOS seasons on bluray for $30 per season. At $30 a pop, it was too hard to resist.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
S1 of MTM was my first purchase as well in late 2002. I paid $46 for it but didn't think it especially pricey at the time since the Columbia House videos had been $25 for four episodes only. It wasn't my favorite show by a long shot either and I really wished it had been Bewitched, Maude or The Golden Girls released instead. Sanford and Son was released that August, Mary came out in September.

In 2003 I remember buying S1 of Charlie's Angels the day it was released (to coincide with the movie sequel with Demi Moore--ugh!). Later that year I bought the first seasons of Three's Company, Will & Grace and the 'test' single-disc of Designing Women. I also purchased a General Mills cereal box giveaway with 2 later episodes of The Donna Reed Show off eBay.

For me, the DVD market didn't get really good until 2005-06 when a lot of my favorites hit the stores (Bewitched, Hazel, Family Affair, Jeannie, Brady, Alice, Roseanne, Petticoat, Police Woman, etc.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
I bought a few series on VHS before dvd came out, and still have my set of Twin Peaks...
I hadn't even thought about VHS but I also had the Twin Peaks set and all of the best-of The Simpsons and The X-Files tapes that they released in the mid to late 1990's.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
For me, it was THE AVENGERS '67 SET 1, containing 2 discs of a handful of chronological color episodes. Getting John Steed and Emma Peel on a durable video format was one of the primary reasons I bought my first DVD player.

At the time (1999/2000), other than Paramount's STAR TREK: TOS discs, A&E Home Video seemed to be one of the very few R1 DVD companies working to eventually get vintage series out in both chronological order and towards completion, albeit in little 2-disc slipcases, rather than 'Best of' samplers that were prevalent at that time, before the big TV-on-DVD boom... notably, the complete chronological runs of MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS, THE PRISONER and THUNDERBIRDS... though with THE AVENGERS, A&E started with color Emma Peel episodes, then jumped back to do her black & white episodes, then more back-and-forth for the Linda Thorson and pre-Peel black and white episodes.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I bought the Star Blazers box set on VHS back in 2000. That may be the first. The first year I bought a DVD player (2001) was also the year I was reviewing anime TV series on DVD for a magazine and I believe the first complete series I received and reviewed was Street Fighter II-V (1995). It wasn't a box set, though, but separate DVD volumes released a few weeks apart. I got the Star Blazers Series 2 DVD box set in 2003, so that might have been the first series I got on DVD. (It was a separate series from the first Star Blazers and not actually a second season. There would be a third series years later.)

American TV? I don't remember. I'm not sure I ever got a complete set of any American TV show, other than the Dragnet 1960s series, which I picked up within the last couple of years. But because Japanese animated series are usually short and planned that way (12 eps., 26 eps., 52 eps., etc.), I have tons of box sets of those. And the U.S. distributors of those have often, esp. in recent years, made those series available in box sets, often priced very conveniently.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Cassette tape - PBS Star Wars for Radio Drama Series
VHS - Godfather Trilogy
DVD - Star Trek TNG season 1
Blu-Ray - Twilight Zone Definitive Edition

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Probably The Best Of The Johnny Cash TV Show around 2007. I didn't really get excited or interested in collecting TV Shows on DVD until some old favorites like McHale's Navy and The Fugitive became available around the same time as Cash's show did. Since then I've bought quite a few.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
It was either The World at War or The Outer LImits...or Time Tunnel.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If you go by single season sets, it was The Twilight Zone, the Definitive Series, Season One. If you go by complete TV series it was The Man From U.N.C.L.E. It came in an attache case box reminicent of the one from the show.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
The first TV set that I purchased was either SANFORD AND SON Season 1 or the first season of BOSTON LEGAL.

Not sure which was first.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I finally sprung for the Charlie's Angels box set on Amazon the other day. Not too many shows have came out in box set form that I'm interested in and the ones I am aren't affordable at the moment.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
My very first TV DVD box set was 1st & Ten TCS, which I purchased back in 2006. My first BIG TV Box set was Ally McBeal TCS, which I purchased in early 2010. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks