What's new

What Was Your Favorite '90s Sitcom (other than Friends & Seinfeld) (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Mines were the Saved By The Bell franchise, Hang Time, City Guys, One World, Boogie's Diner, Blossom, Sabrina, Larry Sanders Show, Arli$$, Clueless: The Series, Step By Step, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Living Single, Breaker High, and Family Matters.What were yours?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I honestly thought Friends and Seinfeld were on the dumb side and never could find the humor in either show. I liked the TGIF type shows like Sabrina, Family Matters, Full House and Step by Step. I also liked Coach pretty well.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
This is an easy one......definitely 2 of my favorite 90's sitcoms....."The Drew Carey Show" and "Will & Grace"......both hysterical shows.....I am fans of "Seinfeld" and "Friends" too......but "The Drew Carey Show" and "Will & Grace" were funnier (in my opinion).A couple of others....."Roseanne" (except for the very last season when it's started to get bad. "Coach" was also good, but later years were not as good. And "Norm" was a pretty good show....was similar to "The Drew Carey Show" and it had Laurie Metcalf (from "Roseanne"). All good sitcoms!!!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Frasier and Everybody Loves Raymond by a lot. (Both continued into the 2000s, of course.) And that does not require any special Seinfeld or Friends exclusions.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Considering the lack of interest from most people in this section for anything that was made after 1980, I can't believe there's even been 3 responses in this thread.

Leaving Seinfeld out of the equation, The Simpsons and The Larry Sanders Show are easily the two comedies of the decade in my opinion.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
I honestly thought Friends and Seinfeld were on the dumb side and never could find the humor in either show. I liked the TGIF type shows like Sabrina, Family Matters, Full House and Step by Step. I also liked Coach pretty well.
After the first few seasons, Seinfeld had a lot of great stuff in it. In particular, I lot of the comedy with Kramer, Elaine's bosses, and George to me was clearly influenced by Paul Henning's brand of surrealistic and off the wall humor. Friends was awful, and was to comedy, what the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls were to music.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Sorry but the 90's to me wasn't exactly the golden era the 50s and 60s were when it comes to sitcoms -- besides all of "Friends" and "Seinfeld", the last years of "Cheers", the 90s output of "The Simpsons" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" are the only ones I own. On the other hand I have tons of sitcoms from 2000 onward -- but that's for another thread....

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The Simpsons, Get a Life and, at the end of the decade, first series of Spaced. Beyond those three sitcoms, absolutely nothing.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast made me laugh in the 1990s, but those weren't sitcoms.

I've never watched either Friends or Seinfeld.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
In Australia, Channel Seven used to have a very popular, high-rating Friday or Saturday night airing "Blossom", "Family Matters", "Full House", "Hangin' with Mr Cooper" and "Step By Step", usually in one big block. It was always a great night in. I loved "Ellen", "Grace Under Fire", "Home Improvement" and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" as well.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
JoeDoakes said:
After the first few seasons, Seinfeld had a lot of great stuff in it. In particular, I lot of the comedy with Kramer, Elaine's bosses, and George to me was clearly influenced by Paul Henning's brand of surrealistic and off the wall humor. Friends was awful, and was to comedy, what the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls were to music.
This. IMO Friends has got to be one of the most overrated series ever. Never understood the appeal and I've given it more than a fair chance.

I don't have a lot of favorites from the '90s but mine were/are:Designing Women: I'm one of the few who loved the show just as much with the cast changes.
Roseanne
Murphy Brown
The 5 Mrs. Buchanans

I didn't watch The Nanny or Ellen during their network runs, but I've been amused by them both on DVD.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
My ex-wife loved The Nanny and did get me hooked on it for a while. I also failed to mention Home Improvement!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bob
Newsradio
Frasier
3rd Rock from the Sun
The Drew Carey Show
That 70s Show
Everybody Loves Raymond
Becker
The John Larroquette Show
Home Improvement until it became "topical."
Dave's World
Dharma & Greg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd personally consider Cheers a 80's show. Plus, it was best during that decade as far as I'm concerned.

I'd pick Coach and Wings as my two favorites.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Ron1973 said:
My ex-wife loved The Nanny and did get me hooked on it for a while. I also failed to mention Home Improvement!
I LOVE Home Improvement, too!!! and I also loved The Nanny

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
DisneySwan1990 said:
I LOVE Home Improvement, too!!! and I also loved The Nanny
I must admit I didn't catch Home Improvement from the get-go. I remember seeing at my ex-wife's aunt's house and I guess I thought it was funny enough to watch then. I got hooked on it. As a matter of fact, I changed the theme from Bob the Builder to describe Tim:Tim the Toolman, can he fix it? No, he can't! :lol:

I love how in Toy Story they had a toolbox with "Binford Tools" written across it!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Even though it started in the 80s, Murphy Brown was on mostly in the 90s. Hysterical show. For shows just in the 90s, I guess Mad About You.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Never watched much '90s comedy to be honest, except maybe the now classic BBC series Bottom co-starring the recently departed Rik Mayall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks