What's new

What was this Disney show from the 60s? (1 Viewer)

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, only snippets of memory.

Anyone remember a Wonderful World of Disney series (or single show) that aired in the mid-late 60s following the exploits of some kids who solved mysteries that the adults couldn't figure out. Sort of young detectives in a small town. I think there was at least one girl, though most were boys.

Near the end of one episode, they spotted a giant dragon (which turned out to be a small boat built to look like a dragon) as it floated across a mist covered pond in their small town. I think it had something to do with solving that weeks mystery.

I remember another scene where the kids were pretending to fire a cannon at a newly arrived character and he pretended the cannon did fire and fell on the ground. Scared the kids until he got up and introduced himself and they were friends from that point on. I think he was supposed to be returning from military service in the story. I think he would help them and provide clues, sort of giving them something to do during the summer break to keep them out of trouble.

This character was a Disney stock actor. I can picture his face, but do not know the name. He had his own Disney hour episode a short time later, though not related to the above. In this series, he had a casual name like "Buddy" I think.

I was also reading a book series about that time that was not the Hardy Boys series but very similar. Aimed at 8-14 year olds. About young kids who solved mysteries. I have never seen that series of books since. Can't remember the name of these books either.

Thanks,
KenRen

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The name of the book series you are looking for is "Encyclopedia Brown" if it is about a boy who set up a detective agency in his parent's garage.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Was it "[Alfred Hitchcock and] The Three Investigators"? Or maybe "The Bobbsey Twins"? There's been plenty of mystery franchises for kids over the years.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Could it possibly be Emil and the Detectives? I recall watching this in the 60's on the Wonderful World of Color. I don't remember the specifics of any episodes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know about the show, but just reading the titles "Encyclopedia Brown" and "The Three Inspectors" has me tearing up. I loved those as a kid.

Ken, go here to see if The Three Inspectors is what you're looking for. This looks to be a rather fantastic page. Seeing those book covers again reminds me of why I wanted to read them so desperately. There are some really great ones in there.

http://www.palacecreations.com/3inv.html

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
All,

The books are very close but these are not it. I remember the book covers were glossy and the art was well done.

But, the Disney show, maybe it wasn't Disney. Can;t imagine it wasn't.

The adult character I talk about earlier was in his early twenties and later he played an ensign in something also. If I could identify him, I could look up his filmography and find his part in the Disney thing.

I think he played a character in some show named or about Doby Gillis?

KenRen

KenRen

Stunt Coordinator
I FOUND IT!!!!!!!! Ain't the Internet wonderful.

The two-part Disney show was "Strange Monster of Strawberry Cove" It played in Oct-1971.

The synopsis is "In this children's adventure, three kids try to save the good name of a teacher who swears he saw a sea monster, and they end up stumbling across a smuggling operation.." Also starred Agnes Moorehead, Burgess Meredith, and Annie McEveety. Are Disney reruns on TV somewhere?

Found the info at The Wonderful World of Disney - Episode List:
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...rld_of_Disney/

The story was taken from the book series I read called Adventures of the Mad Scientists' Club. I think I had about 6 or 7 of them.

My other favorite was the 3 episodes of The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (aired Feb-1964) and is coming out in DVD this August. Woo0hoo!

Side note: The actor I was thinking of was not in the Strange Monster of Strawberry Cove series. He was Warren Berlinger - who played Oscar Kilroy inthe Mar-1965 aired three-part Disney series called Kilroy.

Synopsis : Oscar Kilroy has just been discharged from the Marines, and he's decided to visit an army buddy's parents ,to wish them condolences.When he arrives the Fuller's welcome him in. Kilroy decides Wilton Junction is better than his hometown of Brooklyn, so he decides to stay permanatly.

KenRen

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Encyclopedia Brown!!!! :)

I can credit that book series with my becoming an investigator. I loved reading them, and finding the clues, solving the mystery.

And, I do remember the Strange Monster of Strawberry Cove, once you described it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I remember these, I loved these books. I even remember one of the characters, his name was "Dinky Poole". My fifth grade teacher read this story to the class and "Dinky Poole" was the first two words of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks