What's new

what to do in philly for the day? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Goin to Philly for the day in a couple days. It'll be freezing cold. I'll have all day to kill, possibly two. What do I need to do, somewhere near Old Town, that will keep me from just standing on a corner freezing my butt off? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MC

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
hmm, Visit the Liberty Bell and Indepence Hall...

The Art Musuem (famous for the Rocky movie)

There is a pretty good hands-on Science musuem there..

Take the ferry to the NJ State Aquarium in Camden

Go see a Flyers game...

There's the battleship NJ somewhere by the Aquarium in Camden (I think... I believe you can see it and the Aquarium from the Ben Franklin bridge).

Paddle down the Wissahickon.. (I guess not now).

There's the Market Street Mall for those that like to shop (not far from Chinatown).

Ummmmm....... Go to Pat's/Gino's steak and get a philly cheesesteak.

They have a convention center with shows and stuff there...

Jay

LewB

Screenwriter
I assume you mean the Franklin Institute ? Great place, and has an IMAX theater. Well worth it.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Also, if you can get tickets - the King Tut exhibit opened at the Franklin Institute on February 2. The last city in the US tour.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, the Franklin Institute!

Took my nephew there awhile ago and he had so much fun playing with the free hands-on section, he mentioned he liked the free section a lot better than the section you had to pay to get in. :)

Jay

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Locally known as the Gallery. :)

Also, if you have a sweet tooth, don't forget to try out Tastykakes, sold at any convenience store.

If you're a history buff, I would also suggest the Franklin Court, Betsy Ross House, and the National Constitution Center.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm a big fan of the museums, especially the art museum. You could easily spend day there.

If it were warmer, I'd suggest the zoo.

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator
If you like a good food shopping/tasting experience check out the Reading Terminal Market. It's at 12th and Market street.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

There used to be an WWI era battelship and a sub that you could walk through at Penn's landing (Philly side).

Also, if you're into the weirder shopping and club scene there's South St at night.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Buy a couple fresh soft pretzels from a streetside vendor. They are amazing, astounding, wonderful confections.

You can tour the Mint and Independence Hall and see the Liberty Bell, they're all walkable right on Independance Mall. This area will keep you busy for at least a day. The Mint is really neat, but you have to visit durning regular business hours, they are closed weekends and holidays.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Ah, The Mint! That's cool.

I got my Tut tickets ("funky Tut!").

And I think I'll avoid Pat's & Gino's (I'm no tourist!) for Lorenzo's or Tony Luke's or Sarcone's.

Sucks that it's blisteringly cold... I'll bundle up and walk it till I freeze, then I guess I'll have to cab it.

I have to remember to bring a couple of bottles of wine (and bring them indoors so they freeze!), since the restaurants we're visiting are BYOB, from what I understand.

Thanks for the tips!

MC

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Those are the unlicensed vendors at the stadiums. The ones with legit licenses to work on sidewalks have access to proper facilities in the buildings they work near (the Mall, Rittenhouse Square, etc.). It's part of the license issued by the City. You can't just pee on the corner like a homeless person in the nicer parts of town.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I believe the Auto show is in town this week. Not specifically a Philly thing, but it's inside & you can easily spend a day there. It's at the convention center, which is close to Reading Terminal Market & a number of other things.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC the naval history museum down at the waterfront has the USS Olympia, Admiral Dewey's flagship from the battle of Manila Bay. On board is the best collection of Spanish-American war memorabilia if you are into such things. I donated some things there that a great uncle brought back - he was a diver in Dewey's fleet and was sent down to verify which Spanish ships we had sunk.

EDIT: Ah yes here's the link www.phillyseaport.org/index.shtml

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dont think saget is in town right now.
he was a couple weeks ago for one night then went to A.C. for a show.

but the BELL and independence hall are must see.

see if you can get a tour of the phiilies park.

they have them in summer not sure if they do now.

you could go to love park and take your picture in front of the famous love sculpture

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

hmm, never heard of lorenzo or sarcones but there are many other cheesesteaks that are worth tryin g too.

delasandro's on roxborough
steve's prince of steaks.
jim's on south street.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks