What's new

What the heck is up with Smallville Season 1? Major mastering error (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
A couple of more things I noticed with the Smallville DVD set:

If you notice the start-up menu of shots from the pilot, they have thrown in two clips from the original version of the pilot. The opening shot of Kal-El's starship partially breaks apart as it begins to enter into Earth's atmosphere. This effects shot is from the original pilot, yet for the final telecast version they use something similar though set at a different angle before Kal-El's ship enters into the atmosphere.

Even moreso, pay attention to the Kents' truck accident. Look past Jonathan to Martha. Her face has been deliberately airbrushed out of the scene. This clip with Cynthia Ettinger was part of the original pilot as well. And yet if you go back to look at the final broadcast version, you can just make out the scenes in which Ms. Ettinger's scenes were incorporated into the episode before it cuts to Annette O'Toole's footage.

My question is, where did the DVD producers acquire the footage from the original pilot? Why include it in the DVD set if they had no intention of using Ms. Ettinger for the series? That's like saying the original pilot exists but then they turn around and say, "But don't talk about it."

One classy thing I noticed about the Season 1 set of The Dead Zone is that they gave fans and owners the opportunity to get a licensed DVD of that series' original pilot. The WB should have done the same thing for Smallville. And ditto for whenever they decide to release Birds of Prey on DVD.

And I had a chance to re-check Title 1 on discs 1-5 last night, and Marc, you're right on the money with this one. Each episode is duplicated twice on the disc. Title 1 has all four episodes in a continuous play totalling 3 hours, while each episode individually takes up Titles 3, 4, 5, and 6, respectively. The WB should have mentioned this option clearly on its packaging to select between continuous play or individual episode selection, but didn't.

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
Seems that the region 2 UK release of Smallville coming out on october 13 will have 5.1 sound on all episodes along with the same extras as the region 1 set.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Exactly so, Greg. I've seen the original pilot, and the byplay between Cynthia Ettinger and John Schneider isn't like what it is on the series with Annette O'Toole. Still, the WB could have given the fans - legally, may I emphasize - the original pilot, the same way that fans were able to get the original Dead Zone pilot on DVD through the mail-in offer of that series' season 1 set.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know if Warners would have been interested in doing a legit release, but I imagine music rights would have been prohibitive even if they had. Here's a list of the songs that were used, according to a post on another site. By the way, there may be some spoilers here for those who have not seen either version of the pilot:

"End of the Innocence" by Don Henley / Nell's Flower Shop just before meteorites strike
"Pinch me" by The Barenaked Ladies / 'Today' portion of the show
"Drive" by Incubus / As Clark misses the bus
"Chemistry" by Semisonic / When Chloe and Pete get to school
"Loser" by Beck / Clark trips approaching Lana Lang
"Beautiful Day" by U2 / Lex arrives in Smallville
"Again" by Lenny Kravitz / Clark watches football practice
"Unstoppable" by The Calling / Music to crash your Porsche to (made it to final version)
"Drops of Jupiter" by Train / Clark watches stars and Lana through his telescope
"It's Been A While" by Staind / Jeremy Creek visits the garage
"Please Forgive Me" by David Gray / Lana and Clark leave the cemetary
"Porcelain" by Moby / Clark visits Lex
"My Way or the Highway" by Limp Bizkit / Clark's selected as the new Scarecrow
"Yellow" by Coldplay / First shot of Homecoming
"True Colors" by Jill Scott / Second shot of Homecoming
"Drive" by Incubus (again) / Whitney finds his truck piled
"Everything" by Lifehouse / Clark dreams of a dance with Lana as the episode ends (made it to final version)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
And I had a chance to re-check Title 1 on discs 1-5 last night, and Marc, you're right on the money with this one. Each episode is duplicated twice on the disc. Title 1 has all four episodes in a continuous play totalling 3 hours, while each episode individually takes up Titles 3, 4, 5, and 6, respectively.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has discovered this!

Marc.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The only oddity I've noticed so far is in "Kinetic" (where you can play the 'bro' drinking game). The first establishing shot of Fordman's departments store has a black bar on the far left of the screen, as if that shot wasn't in widescreen and they didn't crop it, just put it to the right leaving blank space on the left. Other than that the quality has been outstanding so far.

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
I rented mine from Walmart rental online and Smallville looks like garbage, period. Though not totally surprised given how bad WB other property Dawson Creek was handled I was prepared for this mess. Going wait this out until know the facts.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dawson's Creek is a Columbia Property. Warner's other big TV property is Friends, which looks fine on DVD.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I'm halfway through the set and everything still looks great.

Regarding that "duplictate-episode-thing" - if that were actually true then the people at Warner should start mastering all DVDs because if they manage to get more than three hours of video in that quality on a single layer while keeping the average bitrate over 5 MB/sec then they seem to know something the other companies don't know.

The set doesn't look as good as the Alias boxset - it has more grain, is not as sharp and has some aliasing - but it's definately looking better than Friends or the Star Trek boxsets.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Trust me, it's true. With each episode averaging 44 or 45 minutes apiece, multiply that times four, and that's three hours right there. Then provide separate titles for each individual episodes, and that doubles the amount to six hours. The WB did it. At the very least they should have indicated on the packaging that this option was available, but it's not on there.

As I've been checking out the episodes, I've not noticed any imaging deficits during the episodes. The opening start-up menu, however, isn't as good, though. The images show clear pixellation throughout the start-up until it reaches the main menu selection.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but have we confirmed that there are definitely TWO different copies of Smallville S1 floating around? The PQ is pretty bad on my copy and someone at Warner said they'ld check out mine if I sent it back. It definitely looks to me that the episodes are duplicated

Or are they all like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks