What's new

What the heck is up with FOX? (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
First I heard they cancelled The Tick and Family Guy.

X Files is toast after this season.

I hear Undeclared is in possible danger of the axe (so is Titus, but I never really watched it anyway).

Now it seems they're cancelling Futurama.

What shows do they plan on having left?

I suppose they've got decent size hits in That 70s Show and The Bernie Mac Show.

I hear Dark Angel isn't doing so well on Fridays. They almost cancelled that last year, so I don't think they're too keen on keeping that around much longer.

I look forward to watching 24, Grounded For Life and The Simpsons, so all hope isn't gone, I suppose.

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
I just found out about Futurama and after watching another wonderfull episode of Undeclared all I can do is shake my head. I watch very little television; but it seems as though everything I do watch is quickly going to be gone. I'm realy perplexed by Undeclared. It's probobly my favorite comedy with a wonderful unknown cast. As for Futurama, well, it's been around for a while so the ratings must really be sliding for them to consider giving it the ax.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This is me now being an optimist (very rare):

If you like all of the old Fox shows, maybe they'll make new ones that are just as good?

Eh, whatever. They have Simpsons, football, and 24, the three best things on television. I still love 'em.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
FOX SUX!

Now that Futurama will be gone (though it will be back next season to air the last 14 episodes) all that is left for me on Fox is The Simpsons.

As long as That 70's Show/Undeclared are up against Buffy I won't watch them. That 80's Show is OK (I like the sister) but as soon as something better is on I'll switch over. I saw the first 4 episodes of 24, and all though I liked it, I decided I can wait until FX has a marathon.

If the Tick and Family Guy weren't up against Friends/Survivor, I'd at least tape them.

The programmers at FOX are such idiots. Since the World Series and Football pre-empted so many episodes of Futurama, even those of us on the West Coast were made to watch reruns (so I started watching 60 Minutes instead).

Looking forward to the DVD box sets though.

CRyan

Screenwriter
With their current stance on high deffinition television or lack thereof, I am starting to care less about the FOX network. They seem to have no clue in many regards. Oh well, at lest after they cancel all the good stuff, I will have no reason to watch their SD upconverted content.

C. Ryan

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The last couple of years, Fox has had the quickest trigger finger of all the networks when it comes to axeing new shows (how's that for a mixed metaphor?):). The lesson to be learned is not to grow too attached to a Fox show, the network will likely break your heart.
As for what they intend to replace these shows with, look for something with lower costs of production, ala reality TV.
Rob

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
If they decide to go with more reality tv shows, I hope they go with another Murder in Small Town X.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Screw Fox, screw the reality shows. TV sucks now. To say the least I am absolutly pissed off. Those were the only two shows I watched on their network. I'm left with the WWF as the only TV show I'll watch.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The lesson to be learned is not to grow too attached to a Fox show, the network will likely break your heart.
The same could be said for Fox in the early days as well.
You can get a look at the constant schedule changes and cancellations at: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~a...987to1990.html
Sadly, I literally watched everything on Fox starting with the day it went on the air for several years straight. I tapered off when they expanded to fill more of the week. Ah, but I was young...

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Weird!!

Here I start a thread and someone comes along and links to some information on the 'net that I supplied years ago. Adam's link above will take you to a "fan site" for the Fox network where you can see the actual Saturday/Sunday/Monday schedules from the network's inception in 1988 to 1990 when the Simpsons debuted. I once cobbled that info out of a pile of TV Guides that were going to the trash. Ah, the free time of youth, where does it go?

And there are plenty more Fox shows since that... anyone remember the Married With Children spin-off Top of the Heap? Or how about Tea Leoni's debut - one of my favorite shows to be cancelled by Fox - Flying Blind? Anyone see the skit comedy show with Julie Brown and Jennifer Aniston, The Edge?

Another comment on the original topic, Fox's cancellation of many shows... The mid-season ends for Futurama and Family Guy seem particularly malicious, as both shows would evidently have enough episodes for syndication were they allowed to produce full seasons. Each is approximately 14 episodes short of 65 right now.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
And there are plenty more Fox shows since that...
Sorry for not making it clear that the list above was just for 'the early years'.

I did indeed watch the first couple episodes of Top Of The Heap (and Vinnie & Bobby!), Flying Blind, and The Edge. All of the episode guides I'm looking at now seem to indicate that the Edge only lasted one season...I could've sworn there was a second, or at least some clear line where it dropped in quality (when they dropped the "...right this minute..." bits, I guess?).

Remember Drexell's Class, or Good Grief? Or how Second Chance morphed into Boys Will Be Boys (same characters, minus the angel/dead guy)? Or the horrendous Hardball, which I hated but watched anyway? (I got into a quick debate with a local TV critic about Hardball in a Journalism class I took ; he thought it was going to be a break-out hit, and I didn't think it would even make it through the season.) I can say, proudly, that I never turned my television to Fox while Woops! was on...y'know, the post-apocalyptic sitcom?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Damn, what I'd give for copies of Flying Blind right now! I loved that show! What was that other show Tea was in after that? The tabloid one?

Rob T

Screenwriter
Since they canceled The Tick, I haven't anything left to watch on FOX. All the other big networks have at least one show to watch that I like to watch so it's not much of a loss. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks