What's new

What speakers are well-suited for my receiver? (1 Viewer)

Vandermint

Auditioning
Real Name
John
My wife and I are under contract to buy our new home and I'm planning to turn the basement/gameroom into some sort of HT. (Movies actually aren't as big a priority to me as live sporting events, video games, & music for whatever that's worth. I've never really bought in-concert Blu-Rays before because I didn't have the setup for it but that's something I hope to get into.)
Anyway, realizing our move was coming and knowing just enough about this stuff to be dangerous, right before Father's Day I bought this Denon receiver for $550 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312CI-Integrated-Surround-Receiver/dp/B004Z50L6E
It was a bit of an impulse buy but but seemed to be generally well-reviewed around the net, especially at that price. But now my question is: what should I do with speakers? I don't want to spend too much on speakers that would be overkill for this receiver (and I'm obviously not an audiophile) but at the same time I don't want to spend too little and get speakers that don't measure up to it either. I assume this would be considered a solid mid-range receiver--any suggestions as to what price range would be appropriate for a decent 5.1 or 7.1 setup? (Or other "magic numbers" to look for, like impedance?) Specific product suggestions also appreciated. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Speakers should be 6 ohm or higher. The 3312 might be able to handle 4 ohm speakers but why take chances.
Putting a price on speakers is hard to do because sometimes cheaper ones (on closeout, refurbished, etc) are the better ones but that receiver deserves around $700 for 5 and 900 for 7. Think $300-$500 for the subwoofer but you could get by with a $200 BIC sub.
I'll look for sume speakers later tody. have to go to work now :( .

Vandermint

Auditioning
Real Name
John
How about:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Icon-VF-36-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B004H1S30C/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1340934673&sr=1-2&keywords=klipsch+speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B0018QROM2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5
Hmm. I was hoping to get wireless rear speakers but having a hard time finding them.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not familiar with the Klipsch speakers, but some people consider them fatiguing because of the horn tweeter theey use. Try to listen to them first or make sure you can return them. (If you;re getting them from Amazon that shouldn't be a problem.)
Wireless speakers are discouraged because they sometimes suffer from audio loss, but mostly because they aren't really "wireless", as you have to plug them in. If you have an easily accessible socket that's not visible then you're okay; otherwise it's usually easier to run speaker wire than new power.
Also, just want tomake sure you understand that towers are not really necessary if you're going to get a sub. When you purchase towers you are generally paying more for the enclsoure, not improved audio. (Towers do get a slight midbass bump, but that is outdone by a good sub.)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I don't want to spend too much on speakers that would be overkill for this receiver (and I'm obviously not an audiophile) but at the same time I don't want to spend too little and get speakers that don't measure up to it either. I assume this would be considered a solid mid-range receiver--any suggestions as to what price range would be appropriate for a decent 5.1 or 7.1 setup?
The normal price range for that receiver when I looked it up is around $800.00...I usually double that figure to spend on the speakers...so looking at a $1600.00 budget. you might want to state what your speaker budget actually is - you kind of did not fill in that part.
If I was going for effiecnt speakres with horn tweaters, I would go with the HSU version over the klipsh ones mentioned...
Look into this package deal:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15pkg.html
Did not say if you were going with a 5.1 or 7.1 system....
  • Hybrid 15 - 5.1 Package in Satin Black - $1519.00
  • Hybrid 15 - 7.1 Package in Satin Black - $1799.00
If you like horn tweaters - these speakers have them and are very efficent, but are not as fatiquing as the klipsh ones..
Review of a similar system (same speakers with the lesser sub):
http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews/hometheaterSound.pdf
I like bass - so I would get the upgraded sub with the package above:
Review of the VTF-15H Subwoofer sub included in this package:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
How big is the room you will be setting up the HT? What is your budget? Movies are not a priority so don't go with the 7.1 set up a 5.1 will do just fine.Carpet or tile? The center speaker is the most important because about 80% of the dialog will be processed through it, so you might want to spend a little more money on it and get a good one just make sure it matches the two front speakers timbre (same brand and style if possible). you can save some money on the surrounds since you won't be watching too many movies. Remember, you will probably go through 3 or 4 amplifiers, TVs, Blu rays and still not have to upgrade the speakers if you do it right the first time.I think you will be happy spending about $800-$1000 on speakers that will last 15 years if you shop around for bargains.

Vandermint

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for the advice.
I'm not sure about the dimensions of the room--I need to get in there and measure it I suppose. As for the budget--well, I'm not loaded but I also do come from the "get what you pay for" school and don't want to mess up going cheap the first time. $1600 does perhaps seem a bit more than I wanted to spend though.
I'll revisit this thread when I have the exact dimensions and can maybe include a diagram. Thanks for the willingness to share.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
John, Polk are very good speakers that are very reasonably priced. Just going by the amp and details of what you want in a system, you might look at this set up. This should run you just under a $1000.If you shop around i am sure you can get them around $800. The prices listed are from Crutchfield.They all have Great reviews on the crutchfield site. I own a pair of polk M10s and for the money I paid I am very happy with them. Gene might be able to come up with something better for the money. So don't buy till you hear his input.
Polk Floor TSI300s for the front $420 pair
Polk Bookshelf TSI100s for the rear $219.99 pair
Polk Center speaker TSICS20 $169.99
Bic Subwoofer 12" or better around $200 ask Gene were the best deal is.
This should fill any medium size room with great sound at a budget price.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
For what it is worth. I bought my speakers on Craigslist for around $450 and could not be happier. (:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Bic Subwoofer 12" or better around $200 ask Gene were the best deal is."
Right now it looks like Amazon and Partsexpress.com ($200 shipped). The BIC V1220 is also an option
Fry's has had the Infinity Primus P362 towers on sale for $199/pr lately. Fantastic price. Add the 350 center and 153/163 surrounds. The best value in speakers to me are the Infinity Beta's on the used market. I have some Beta 20 bookshelves that sound like towers. About $125-150/pr on Craigslist. Add the 360 center ($150 or less) and you won't beleive how good it sounds. But sometimes Fry's in-store can have the best deals on the things they carry.
And yes, the best deals are on CL. I recently bought some mint Beta 40's for $200 and a pair of new Polk LSi7's for $250. But you have to be carefull and cautious.

TF-600s

Grip
Real Name
David
The Primus do look Very tempting. Especially for that price. I love infinity speakers. Just did not like the old foam surrounds they used before.Sounds like the best deal so far. What is the Grand total price for the store bought set up Gene?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If the $199 price is still available from Fry's (I think it is), Crutchfield.com has the 350 center for $199 and the P163 bookshelves for $85 so $570 for the 5 speakers and $200 for the BIC sub. That's $770 for a real nice sounding new setup. I'll be listing some used Beta 40's, a 250 center and Beta 20's locally on CL for about $400 so $570 is a pretty good deal for new speakers that are very close to the Beta's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks