What's new

What speaker wires do you recommend ? (1 Viewer)

MikeJN

Grip
I am going to be running a Sunfire Theater Grand III pre/pro and Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature II amp (400 watts per channel 8 ohm ).

I am trying to decide what speaker wire to use. I have read all different opinions, but I am wondering if anyone uses Canare 4S Star Quad wire which is actually 4 separate 14 gage wires and you combine two wires to one speaker terminal and the other two to the other. It is the equivalent of 11 gage wire, but by spiraling the wires it is supposed to greatly reduce any noise interference or power loss. It costs .69 per foot.

On the other hand there is regular clear 12 gage wire from Parts Express for .39 per foot.

Does anyone have any opinions or ideas where to get good prices on speaker cable and what would be best to use ? I can put my own ends on so I can't see spending hundreds of dollars for pre-made cables.

Also, is it better to use spades than banana plugs ? I won't be disconnecting very often so that is not an issue, but it seems that a spade will be a much tighter connection.

My longest wire will be about 35 feet to the rear right speaker so I want to use good wire to prevent any signal loss or interference.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Shawn_MM

Grip
Allot of people will say that wire plays no difference (post this on audioreview.com and see). I have Kimber Kable 8vs and 4vs in a bi-wire config for my mains (Def Tech 2002tl and also for the centre Def Tech 2500). I found that it made a slight difference from the normal stuff (was noticeable). Do I have scientific evidence - NO (remember I said slight). Did it bother me to pay 10 times more - a bit, but I got over it(I think the Kimber's look much better as well). If you drop 5000$ Cnd for a 5 speaker set, with almost another 2000$ for a receiver (pioneer 45tx) and DVD player (Panasonic rp91), I personally think that you should not cheap out on cables. If your whole system costs 1000, then get the cheap stuff.
Just my 2 cents.:)
Oh, and I,m going to use 12 gauge in-wall for the sides and rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks