What's new

What sort of Board Games do you Play (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
This weekend some friends and family got together and played a round of talisman with all the expansions. We had a blast! Were planning on doing it again this weekend.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
Unfortunately, no one taught me how to play Monopoly professionally as a kid. And every game for 30 years was tedium as the Wired article described.
It amazes me how EVERYBODY, for DECADES, has been playing Monopoly using imaginary rules that make the game worse. If you think about it, it's truly bizarre. :)

I mean, it's not *that* great of a game, but it's definitely better than most people give it credit for.

Those Uno variants sound wacky.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
What I want are some more good two-player games. 7 Wonders turns out to not be a good 2 player. The Settlers 2-player variant is too fussy.
Have you tried Battleline or For the Win? Both excellent 2-player games. Also, many of the Kosmos 2-Player series in the small square boxes (Lost Cities being the most popular example) are great fun, although some of them are OOP now.

You could always get into wargaming! ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aaron Silverman said:
Have you tried Battleline or For the Win? Both excellent 2-player games. Also, many of the Kosmos 2-Player series in the small square boxes (Lost Cities being the most popular example) are great fun, although some of them are OOP now. You could always get into wargaming! ;)
I'll check them out.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Just ordered some new board games today and I'm quite excited to try them out with my family and friends. I got the new firelands expansion for Talisman, Civilization and both its expansions, three expansions for arkham horror, and descent plus one of its larger expansions. The next time I order I'll be picking up Suburbia too, looks like a lot of fun.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Northgun said:
Just ordered some new board games today and I'm quite excited to try them out with my family and friends. I got the new firelands expansion for Talisman, Civilization and both its expansions, three expansions for arkham horror, and descent plus one of its larger expansions. The next time I order I'll be picking up Suburbia too, looks like a lot of fun.
Suburbia looks like the new hotness on BoardGameGeek. I'm curious how it plays two player. Been playing Power Grid and Dominion (Prosperity, lately).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Several old Kickstarter purchases have been delivered of late. A Study in Emerald is the (ahem) crown jewel. Just awesome. Euphoria is great too, and has some of the coolest components of any Euro ever. (They were supposed to be Kickstarter-exclusive, but there's such a response to them that they're going to sell a set of optional almost-as-cool components for retail purchasers.) The Agents is a pretty good relatively quick card game. Twin Tin Bots needs a few more plays before I know for sure whether I like it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm too much of a rules stickler for Monopoly. If I play it's official rules only - *no* house rules allowed but I played it so much as a kid and in college I pretty much got burned out on it decades ago...

I introduced my grandkids (ages 7 and 10) to Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne - both of which receive *lots* of play. Their mom has joined us but my wife refuses to play either (she's a US game only type player and gravitates to things like UNO although she *will* play Mille Bornes, a favorite card game of my grandson). We keep Carcassonne fresh by using a different expansion every time we play (we have them all) and not mixing more than 2 in at once.

Recently we picked up copies of:

Labyrinth - It's a fun little diversion for the younger kids and the adults don't get too bored.

and

Seeland - A tile placing type game. It's not too bad but takes fair a bit of setup. My grandson really likes this one and Settlers.

I'll play any of the above mentioned games as long as they don't wait *too* late in the evening to ask! :D

And Backgammon. My wife came in a year ago with a briefcase box copy for our grandson so of course I had to teach him to play. He really enjoyes it - when he remembers he has a copy. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There are a half-dozen new Carcassonne expansions coming out soon. :)

The Master Labyrinth is a slightly souped-up version of Labyrinth that's a lot of fun and should keep the adults more occupied. There's a Lord of the Rings-themed version too, but I'm not sure if that was officially released in the US. There's also an Electronic Labyrinth that adds a battery-operated talking book that assigns specific missions to the players.

I like Seeland. It's not that well known but it is a solid game.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Love good old fashioned "Monopoly", but people won't play with me any more. I guess I'm a ruthless tycoon underneath my shell and refuse to lose.

I'm always the little Toto dog, just fits my personality.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aaron Silverman said:
There are a half-dozen new Carcassonne expansions coming out soon. :)
Haven't played Carcasonne in a while. It's one of the harder games for me. It requires a fractured mind, playing both short-term and long-term simultaneously. Most games have a phasing, where I can play early, middle, and end game tactics. But Carcasonne feels like it need to be played early and late game at once! from the start. It's stressful, deciding when to out those farmers out there!The game worse than that is Acquire. Which I need to get out. It's been a while for that too :)Played some more Power Grid. Such an odd end game; it just staggers to a halt. But I like its conservatism. And plays surprisingly well for two-player, despite all the setup.Been jamming to Dominion Prosperity. It plays best by itself, undiluted by other expansions (so far, for me).

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
DaveF said:
Suburbia looks like the new hotness on BoardGameGeek. I'm curious how it plays two player.Been playing Power Grid and Dominion (Prosperity, lately).
I watched a few reviews on Youtube about it and it seemed like fun. I've always been a simcity kind of guy so Suburbia interested me. It actually has a one player mode, but I wasn't very impressed with that. I'd be getting it for my wife and I.

I haven't played Prosperity yet, I'll have to look that one. Have you played the Wealth of Nations before? I was wondering if that one was any good too.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
Stan said:
Love good old fashioned "Monopoly", but people won't play with me any more. I guess I'm a ruthless tycoon underneath my shell and refuse to lose.

I'm always the little Toto dog, just fits my personality.
I love Monopoly as well and can't find people to play with me for the same reason lol. On the occasion my family will play with me, they refuse to trade with me no matter how sweet I make the deal. Them seem to think any trade will lead to the end for them lol.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know Wealth of Nations. But the tile seems familiar. Either I've read it here, or friends have told me about it. I'll ask around.A gamer coworker recommended Goa and Compounded, when I asked for games with the strengths of Settlers (social interaction) without its weaknesses (players can get stuck for many rounds of no production). He thought those two had some good dynamics I'd like.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Suburbia iOS app is currently on sale for $2.99 (from $4.99). Also, the Quarriors app is going to be free for a week, starting some time today.

If you have an Apple device, there are a ton of hobby board game apps out there. Many of them are a great way to try before you buy since they only cost a couple of bucks. Especially if you're interested in a game that your local group might not be into.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The new board game at the Frezon home is Ticket to Ride.

It is (sort of) a combination of Monopoly and Risk. It's a strategy/luck game which requires the players to make train connections across North America (yes, including Canada! :biggrin: )

We have found that even people who don't profess to like playing games have had a good time playing Ticket to Ride.

gallery_286742_34_5328.jpg

gallery_286742_34_556764.jpg

For more information:

gallery_286742_34_762681.jpg

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
My family got ticket to ride a couple years back. We played it a couple of times and it hasnt made its way back to the game table in quite awail. We bought the farming game at the same time and played that one a ton. We loved all the crazy things that could happen to u in the farming game (irs garnishes your wages or a valcono etuption). We also got castle panic around that time which is a team based board game where all the players try to prevent the castle from being detroyed. We all loved that one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks