1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What screen to buy? Please help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mlakes, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mlakes

mlakes New Member

Ok long story short. I have finished my basement and now am looking to finish the theater. I got a great deal on an Epson 3010 projector and have a 7.1 speaker system already in. I am now looking for a very reasonable screen and receiver. I am completely green when it comes to projector screens. I was actually going to purchase a 80" flatpanel until I got such a deal on the projector. It will be used to watch sports and a lot of movies. My basement has complete light control. I am talking from pitch black to 8 recessed and four sconces lightening it up light mid summers day. I was looking at a Denon AVR-1912 for a receiver. I want to stay pretty economical. I am more than likely selling the house this year and building a new one with my fiancee but really want to enjoy it until then. Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am ok with used as well if anyone has a deal. Room is 13'W X 19'L. So any screen that is above roughly 84" to 92" may have to be accoustically transparent so it doenst block speakers. Speakers are in-wall and I want to kept the coorect listening angle of 30. Thanks

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Carada screens are a pretty good bang for the buck. You just need to decide if you want fixed (cheaper) or motorized. They do not make transparent screens which can get pricey. The cheapest transparent screen I have seen is made by SMX

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    economic and acoustically transparent are not terms that can be used in the same sentence!! Carada is on the pricey side of economical but makes some nice screens. Also look at Elite Screens for a lesser price.

4. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton

You installed in-wall speakers before settling on screen size/placement?

What size screen can you fit in the space without blocking the in-wall speakers?

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    This is another reason why I would never use in-wall speakers. I would replace the in-wall speakers before I bought an acoustic transparent screen.