What's new

What Once Beloved TV Character Now Strikes You As Being Annoying? (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
You had nothing better to do then decide to reply to something from ten months ago?

It'll take me less than an hour to reiterate that the Meathead was a freeloading mooch, who if he had any sense of tact would have kept his mouth shut and ceased from throwing his superior holier-than-thou attitude since Archie didn't have to allow him to live rent-free under his roof. And of course this "good human being" ultimately in the storyline turned out to be an irresponsible husband and parent who couldn't keep a job and who walked out on Gloria and Joey because he decided his political activism came ahead of being responsible.

In short a classic example of how roads paved with supposedly good intentions will often for some people still lead you straight to hell. Being a crusading 60s activist doesn't give you a license for that kind of behavior.

And I think the idea that all women of the 1970s were a bunch of "MIZ" Romanos (has anyone but me ever noted the absurdity of Bonnie Franklin, who was only 31 at the time playing a mother of two teenage girls?) is a pretty strange case of oversimplification.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jack P said:
has anyone but me ever noted the absurdity of Bonnie Franklin, who was only 31 at the time playing a mother of two teenage girls?
I thought Ann got married right out of high school. IIRC, she was supposed to have been 35 in the first season.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Archie was an old bigot. Meathead was like most college students, seriously. Who didn't mooch off somebody in college? I sure did.. it was all my mom could do to stop dad from drop kicking me into low cost housing during those years. I changed though, and bothered them for money once (was broke and needed new tires, but I paid them back within a month). Archie won't change (if he does, not much). But meathead will. That's my firm belief. Not that I disagree with it all... Meathead was supposed to be that way, an opposite opponent for Archie. To me if worked beautifully and I love all the characters from AitF, with Edith being one I have adored since I was a little loud mouth myself.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The AITF haters are being unfair to "Meathead." In the episode where the Stivics left, Mike broke down emotionally and not only thanked Archie for all he did for him, but told him he loved him. Archie was too stubborn and set in his ways to say anything at all to Mike -- although I doubt he loved him in return.

This episode is one of the best-acted episodes of a sitcom I've ever seen, and O'Connor, Stapleton and Reiner all won the Emmy that season -- most likely, this was the episode that was submitted.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In the episode where Archie and Meathead both told their version of the visit from the plumber and his apprentice, it was clear that both were so biased that neither truthfully recalled the incident. Apparently, only Edith did.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Joe Lugoff said:
The AITF haters are being unfair to "Meathead." In the episode where the Stivics left, Mike broke down emotionally and not only thanked Archie for all he did for him, but told him he loved him. Archie was too stubborn and set in his ways to say anything at all to Mike -- although I doubt he loved him in return.

This episode is one of the best-acted episodes of a sitcom I've ever seen, and O'Connor, Stapleton and Reiner all won the Emmy that season -- most likely, this was the episode that was submitted.
I'm being quite fair to him. He ultimately once in CA irresponsibly threw away his job as a teacher because he decided marching in the nude to protest nuclear power was a higher priority in life, and then when Reagan was elected president he refused to accept the fact the country didn't share the same views as him so rather then work to make the world "better" he does the most out of step thing for a person in the early 1980s and joins a commune and when Gloria refuses to go with him and subject her son to that kind of irresponsible lifestyle, he goes off with another woman. Now you might want to say that this was just inconvenient plot points to allow for a solo "Gloria" series in 1982, but the bottom line is that given Meathead's own sense of self-righteous arrogance throughout the course of the series, was ultimately entirely in keeping IMO with what was established.

Archie had his flaws, quirks and prejudices but one thing you can never accuse him of being is an irresponsible husband or parent who didn't provide for his family.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Both characters had their good points and bad points. It's interesting to see how certain people demonize one or the other of the two, and give the other one a pass mostly. I think the premise and much of the best writing of that series REALLY nailed down human foibles. People are still picking sides 43 years after it premiered. Pretty impressive in itself.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
David_B_K said:
In the episode where Archie and Meathead both told their version of the visit from the plumber and his apprentice, it was clear that both were so biased that neither truthfully recalled the incident. Apparently, only Edith did.
Exactly what I wanted to say. Great example of what those characters are about. Both have huge flaws but that's what makes it work so well, and why both are so funny. Meathead, typical college student. Look at the episode when those black guys are robbing the house. Liber--raaail! lol And...how about Archie discussing his father in an episode...? Holy hell, how about that! I get chills just thinking about O'conner's performance. And the fact that Archie's nickname at one time was.... "meathead!!!"

Jack, Good points though. I guess I don't know his full story like you. I'm wondering if they went with his closing story just be be funny and kind of take it to the limit. I really feel like the character from AitF would change from young college student to something else... could be what they did I suppose. But meathead had a good heart too, in spite of how his closing story went. Archie actually did change during the show too. At least a bit. But ultmately, what they were all trying to do was be funny, point at each other and laugh...make us laugh at them and ourselves. They sure did that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jack P said:
I'm being quite fair to him. He ultimately once in CA irresponsibly threw away his job as a teacher because he decided marching in the nude to protest nuclear power was a higher priority in life, and then when Reagan was elected president he refused to accept the fact the country didn't share the same views as him so rather then work to make the world "better" he does the most out of step thing for a person in the early 1980s and joins a commune and when Gloria refuses to go with him and subject her son to that kind of irresponsible lifestyle, he goes off with another woman. Now you might want to say that this was just inconvenient plot points to allow for a solo "Gloria" series in 1982, but the bottom line is that given Meathead's own sense of self-righteous arrogance throughout the course of the series, was ultimately entirely in keeping IMO with what was established.
I think it was also to give Rob Reiner an out to direct This is Spinal Tap, which Embassy released originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks