What's new

What, no firewire on my new Macbook? (1 Viewer)

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
So I grabbed my trusty ole Canon ZR200 camcorder and rewound about 50 minutes of Christmas Day footage that I taped on its mini DV tape. Then I grabbed my firewire cable and went to hook it up to my new Macbook. I was really looking forward to using iMovie. Umm, looked around and no firewire port. Turned the thing upside down and all around. Nope. Well that's funny I thought so I googled this new machine that I have been so in love with since Dec 25 and low and behold, Apple dumped Firewire on it's new Macbooks this year.
WTH???? I have roughly a dozen DV tapes that I was going to burn to DVDs and now I don't know how to get this done. Of course, I could just do it on my old Dell but that defeats the purpose now doesn't it?
Anyone have any ideas or solutions to accomplish this on my new machine? Is there an adapter that I could connect to the firewire cable to allow it to transfer via the USB connection? (My camcorder explicitly states that firewire is only option from it's side)
Or can I still transfer the tape contents to my Dell and somehow still be able to get it to my new Mac via networking or "file transfer"?
Any help?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Can't help ya on a solution but you musta missed the torches and pitchforks from a lot of camps when this came to light. It was pretty well torn apart and the advice folks had was that if you REALLY needed firewire you need to go to a pro. I'd try to archive all my footage and move to a new camcorder rather than a new laptop if I were in your shoes, but I know that can't sound too appealing at this point. Sorry!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If your Dell has a FireWire port, then if you can get the files onto it -- maybe with Windows Movie Maker -- then yes, you can then transfer the files onto the Mac and use iMovie and iDVD.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
How did I miss this? I knew the Air didn't have one. I guess it was because I wasn't in the market for a laptop at the time, but I'm normally fairly up to date on things Apple and this had to cause an uproar. FW is essential to me so I guess when I decide to move to a new laptop I'll have to keep this in mind. It's also something I'll have to keep in mind when advising students.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks