What's new

What, no F-Zero Imperssions thread yet??? (1 Viewer)

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Pick it up tonight, but I am stuck at work till midnight, and may not get to play if the wife is feeling randy when I get in, but would like some impressions from fellow HTF'ers. Anyone play this bad boy yet???? Speak up y'all.

Krys

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I played it in Best Buy, while hardly the definative review. It's fast, it's furious, it's got neat FX. Nintendo made a good move giving it to the best racing game designers out there, it trumps all the previous versions by a long shot.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
My impression so far is, if you loved F-Zero X on the N64, you should love this. Very fast, this is twitch gaming on crack. Think unexpected 90 degree or U-turn corners at 900mph. I'll be spending a lot of time with this one. :)

Troy_M

Stunt Coordinator
This is the greatest futuristic racer ever. My friend and I were playing it last night on my 57" HD Hitachi in all of its widescreen, progressive scan glory. This game is gaming crack...It is like being on a virtual futuristic roller coaster....whew!!! We had to hit pause a couple of times to take it all in.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
Love the game so far, also watching it in progressive scan widescreen, I havent figured out the whole garage thing yet though.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I played the arcade version on the weekend and thought it was fantastic... some of the best graphics I've ever seen and amazingly fast and fluid gameplay.
Damn it... looks like I'm going to have to finally get a GC.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I wish I had a copy of the arcade version somewhere close to me. You need the arcade version to unlock secrets in the GameCube one.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Untrue Morgan, I've unlocked the AX tracks and cars without using the arcade version at all. You just have to beat lots of things on Very Hard or on Master :).

EdR

Second Unit
Morgan, you were right. Months ago I fretted after reading a preview of this game that said the game was so hard they had to try 20-30 times to pass a level...to which you replied that there must be something good about it if you're willing to try 20-30 times...

Well, this is one of those rare games that it just so damn good that you just need to keep playing even in the face of failure. The controls are perfect, the graphics are jaw-dropping, the tracks are challenging and impeccably designed...wow, this is a must have for every Cube owner, IMO

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I have only had a couple 1/2 hr sessions with it so far. Just too much to play. Between trying to finish Knights of the old Republic, and getting started on Soul Caliber 2, I barely have any time left. I have given most of the courses a quick run in practice just to check them out. The graphics are incredible, damn these courses are fast. the sound track is great, love the techno tunes, top notch. Surrounds are quite active with the DPL 2, very nice. But as far as difficulty goes, I hope the other level are more difficult. I have played the 1st cup and only came in second once. Eevry other time 1st, with no problems. Oh well, enjoying the little I have played.

paul_v

Second Unit
F-Zero is an awesome game...a must have for any cube owner. It's probably the most impressive game graphically on the cube because it is so fricken fast with all the detail. Yes it is difficult, but it is not impossible (took me a dozen tries to get past the last track on the second cup) and like some stated previously the gameplay is so enjoyable that you dont mind playing it again. It is also a lot of fun and the courses are well designed. I give it a 9.7/10.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Man, when I'm done with my summer assignments, I am SO getting this game. I HAVE to run it through the Scootplex.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I didn't like it all that much but I'll probably get it when it's cheap since it's pretty unique. They did a good job of replicating the feel of the old F-Zero, but games have come a LONG way since then. I saw no depth at all in the way the ships handle and they were also overly twitchy. More than anything, it seemed to be a game about having a very light touch on the controls and memorizing the tracks completely.

I say I'm waiting but I'll probably cave if Best Buy puts it on sale for $39.99-5.00 coupon.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I agree with JamesH. I rented the game last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, but can't see it being a $50 purchase. The game truly comes down to track memorization, which isn't such a bad thing depending on your preferences for racing games. I found the more difficult tracks to be VERY difficult to not fall off, but that's to be expected for only 5 days of play.

I'd give the game an 7.5 out of 10, but not good enough to warrant an immediate purchase. Keep in mind that I prefer racing sims like GT3, so that shapes my opinion quite a bit. By the way, I really enjoyed the first person perspective when racing--very cool but difficult to get the hang of.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
I've got to say, I completely disagree with both of you guys. I could see how that could be a first impression, though.

Track memorization is necessary to win, yes, but that's a basic simple skill you'll need to beat novice and standard. In order to beat (most of) expert and master, you'll need to master some very complex maneuvers in order to get ahead of your competition.

Story mode, which is much more difficult than Grand Prix mode, places even less emphasis on knowing the tracks. Knowing the tracks doesn't do you much good in story mode. It's necessary to develop some pretty good strategies to even beat it on normal, let alone hard or the ungodly difficult very hard (chapter 7, I hate you).

All in all, I think this game is outstanding, and is probably my second favorite racing game of all time, after Gran Turismo 3. My only complaints are that Grand Prix mode is a little on the easy side, and Story Mode is too difficult for a few of the challenges (luck really starts to come into play sometimes).

JamesH

Supporting Actor
My fiance was nice enough to get this for me and after spending some quality time with it, I'm going to have to go back on my original opinion a bit. Although I think the two main flaws I noted are still present, the later tracks are cool enough to make it worth it. The game also has a MUCH bigger impact on my HDTV setup than it did the way I was playing it. I'd say it's close to being the best looking Gamecube game. I also like the presentation/character design/style. F-zero is a perfect example of a game that retains a bit of coolness while staying family oriented, which is what Nintendo needs(funny that Sega made it). I'd rate this pretty highly, even with the unfair difficulty.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
F-Zero GX is the first game I've ever played that seemed like one of those games you'd see in a "the future is amazing" kind of film. Like, kids would go to an arcade in the movie and then play something that looked amazing and moved super-smooth, just like this.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
This game is tough. The controls are so touchy. I'm twitching the whole time. Even the left and right air brakes are too touchy.

The sense of speed is pretty scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks