What's new

What Miramax/Dimension titles are waiting for DVD (including long delayed ones)? (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The announced-in-late-2003-but-then-cancelled-without-explanation MICROCOSMOS.

Also, I second:

EL CID
MALENA (un-cut)
THE THIEF & THE COBBLER (restored)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
They have purchased dozens of Hong Kong action and martial arts films and are sitting on them. GOD OF GAMBLERS and A CHINESE GHOST STORY are two examples. They have owned the rights for years now.

Of course, when they do release these films, they just cut them to pieces, dub them and take anyone who tries to sell the foreign originals to court. :thumbsdown: I've become a big fan of Hong Kong action films over the last two years and I grow increasingly disgusted with Miramax's policy of cutting & dubbing. It's very sad. :frowning:

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
The Reflecting Skin

from davisdvd.com...
OCTOBER 19th: Buena Vista finally releases the oft-delayed The Hole ($19.99) starring Thora Birch and Keira Knightley. The disc comes with director commentary, deleted scenes and a still gallery.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I don't think a single one of the Miramax titles licensed to Paramount has made a U.S. DVD appearance, although some can be obtained in Canada from Lions Gate. Those versions are almost completely bare bones though.

Miramax has been sitting on Jan Kounen's DOBERMANN with Vincent Cassel for almost a decade.

I would be quite keen to see a restored edition of BABY BLOOD, the French horror film they licensed to A-Pix and retitled THE EVIL WITHIN. I don't know if Ardustry, the company that rose out of the fallen A-Pix, still has the rights, but I've enjoyed this very nervy film and would like it on DVD.

walter o

Supporting Actor
perhaps miramax lost the rights to it? Noticed it's been on cable alot, on channels that usually plays MGM titles (AIP/Orion stuff) so maybe the rights went back to MGM?

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like them to release YOUNG POISONER'S HANDBOOK, which they put out on laserdisc in a full frame transfer. I doubt it sits very highly on their list though.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Young Poisoner's Handbook was a Miramax title. I think it was from First Look (or a similar boutique distributor). And I think Enchanted April fell into the same quandary as the other Paramount-distributed home video titles.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
YOUNG POISONER'S HANDBOOK was an early CFP release, the company that would eventually become Lions Gate. It got released on VHS and laser by the now defunct Cabin Fever label, whose assets I believe are owned by...Lions Gate! So one way or another, it would appear they are who to solicit for this missing title.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
How did I forget this one?

Miramax bought the rights to 50 of the restored Shaw Brothers titles some time ago... not a peep about a DVD release here, of course! Thank goodness for multi-region DVD players so I don't have to miss these classics. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks