What's new

What method do use to connect your X1? (1 Viewer)

Bobby_K

Grip
Right now, Im running direct S-video from a non-prog. DVD player. I learned that the X1 takes 480i in the S-Video input, and 480p through the Vesa breakout. Someone reported in a previous thread, getting better results through the Interlace S-video component breakout cable, available through Infocus, than through the Vesa 480p. Problem is, I'm finding that no one but Infocus carries that S-vid breakout cable, which is on back order until the end of June.

Anyone else wanting to go this route find this cable through any other vendor? Or come up with a better solution?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I seriously doubt you are missing that much by using the s-video instead of the component to s-video converter. If you want a better solution, I would focus on getting a progressive scan player and a breakout cable. The results are much more smooth and film like. You can find progressive players for 80 dollars now. So if I were you I would go and buy one of these breakout cables instead of the adapter from infocus. This will just motivate you more to save up for a progressive scan.

Mike.ca

Auditioning
I agree that you probably aren't missing out on a lot by using straight S-Video instead of 480i component (assuming your S-Video cable is decent quality).

But if you ever decide to upgrade to a progressive DVD player make sure it has a de-interlacer that is as good as the DCDi built into the X1, or you may actually see a degradation in image quality by going from S-Video to 480p.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I am using an RP-82 via the VGA input with a breakout cable. It looks awesome but I have to admit the scaling/deinterlacing chip in the X1 is almost equal (same chip) in quality. I figure the player doing the de-interlacing is a few less A/D D/A conversions.

Randy

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I am using s-video MonsterCable, but have a breakout cable on the way, mostly to be used with my HD receiver, although I hope my progressive DVD player (Pioneer Elite) will look better with the new cable.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I have the VESA adaptor from Infocus hooked up to a set of 3m Silverserpents (from Bettercables) going to a Toshiba SD-3750 Progressive Scan dvd player. The picture is outstanding. The VESA adaptor can be flaky at times. I also use the S-video out on the projector running into my digital cable box for digital cable. In order to get HDTV from the digital cable box, I just change the components from the DVD player to the cable box. The picture quality is very good. I would also agree with some previous posters that the interlacing chip on the projector itself is "almost" as good as my DVD player. My only regret about buying this projector is that I bought it before the price dropped $400. :frowning:

Mike.ca

Auditioning
The Faroujda DCDi is active on the composite, s-video, and the s-video/component adapter input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks