What's new

What LDs are still worth getting? Missing features/footage (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Like the title says, I am looking for LDs that are still worth hunting for.

Mainly looking for features especially commentaries not ported over to DVD version. Example I am going to look for Halloween for the John Carpenter commentary. I heard a Hellraiser LD might have a commentary different from the AB one.

Any other must haves? Maybe a cut of the movie not available on DVD? Like Star Wars (the reason I got an LD 2 months ago to begin with) and the ORIGINAL Trilogy (Greedo did NOT shoot first)? How many times am I going to say that??

Suggestions...

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Nightmare Before X-MAS Box set has the longer documentary on the making of the movie... Jaws documentary is 1 hour longer also in the LD Box set.

:-D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Like, man - are you serious? I have shelves of LDs worth getting - I haven't got the time to list them all. A lot of Criterions, many box sets, some imports, some music, and a boatload of others. I'm buying LDs all the time of the very sort you're inquiring about.

What are you looking for?

Let's see, here are a very few:

Criterion Bonds, CAV versions only. Withdrawn because of commentary, very hard to find and not cheap. Nice set of supplements.

Criterion Adventures of Baron Munchausen, CAV only, supplements not found on the dvd.

Criterion Dr. Strangelove, supplements not found on any dvd. And they're a gas! You'll never regret it.

Criterion El Cid, not currently on dvd but probably will be next year. Even so, gorgeous transfer and, again, supplements.

Dune, Japanese import box. Contains theatrical version and television's long version - not available any other way (and won't be cheap).

Looney Tunes, Looney Tunes, Looney Tunes. Yeah, they just might start making it to dvd in the next year or two, but how long for all of them? I can't wait that long. Will they be censored? I don't know. The Golden Age of Looney Tunes box sets are highly desireable, plus all the WB and MGM single discs. Plus, there's a couple Japanese box sets of 30 cartoons each - be ready to pony up if you can find them, which is a mighty big if (if interested, I know where you can get one of the boxes - not cheap).

Gettysburg, the box set only. This is the 271 minute cut, available on no other format. Includes a very nice book, a map of the battlefield, four photos and - get this - an authentic Civil War bullet in its own little pouch. It's all to die for.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, longer cut not available on dvd.

The Alamo box set, longer cut not available anywhere else, and not likely to ever be available.

Plus oodles more.

P.S. The Nightmare Before Christmas box set is especially worth getting for the book - the best book, by far, ever included with an LD box set.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
also... alan, the book included in the Nightmare Before Christmas box set is also available in bookstores now from what I have heard (haven't seen it myself).
:D

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
How 'bout the DANCES WITH WOLVES long version and the ULTIMATE OZ boxset and the BEATLES boxset has been going cheap, $30, wow! The movies of the 30's & 40's are well represented on LD. GUNGA DIN, THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, I AM THE LAW....like Alan sez, it's a very long list. OUTER LIMITS boxsets, Star Trek NG episodes, BULLWINKLE, Mr. Magoo, Woody Woodpecker...ect, ect, ect... Have fun searching!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Frighteners is the holy grail of LD only supplements in my book.

Please oh please make the jump to DVD!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Last of the Mohicans for those who prefer the original cut of the film. The LD was issued twice; the later version (DD 5.1 and THX-certified) has a substantially better picture.
Aliens in DD 5.1 and THX-certified: only way to get the theatrical cut.
The Shadow: only way to get the film in widescreen. The DTS LD is the only way to get the film in 5.1 and widescreen.
Timecop: same as The Shadow.
Wyatt Earp box set: the film isn't on DVD.
Get Shorty: LD has a Sonnenfeld commentary and a deleted scene.
M.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
If you are sorely missing the original theatrical release of Blade Runner, you might want to pick up the CAV Criterion Edition of it. Very cool futurist concept art by Syd Mead is in this LD and a very in depth fan's analysis of this film. I am going to keep this LD even after Warner releases the SE DVD in 2002. Very hard to find and still commanding top dollar on Ebay for this one.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
If you havent got the Original Star Wars lasers I have them for trade/sale in the software ft/fs section as well as a few others.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
The Titanic DTS disc is the finest sound I have ever heard.

The Halloween Criterion Collection has a wonderful running commentary with Jamie Lee Curtis, Debra Hill and John Carpenter. Fabulous.

The extended version of Dead Poets Society is even more moving than the original; but then I was one that didn't want this movie to end.

For Stephen King fans, the Golden Years series is on LD in its entirity, while the DVD is the cut-together version.

Top Secret is, for now, a must-have in my collection, though I hear the DVD is forthcoming.

Hunchback of Notre Dame in DTS is also wonderful sound and one of the best-looking LDs I own, almost approaching DVD quality.

Love LDs. I'm a gadget freak.

~Jamie

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The Big Country. It is on dvd; however, it lacks the LD's supplements, plus it's cropped severely (my estimate is that 25-30% of picture has been lost) compared to the LD, as well as being darker to boot. So much for being anamorphic.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks guys,

I am a horror and Sci-Fi kind of guy so any suggestions in those departments are appreciated. Any Big Epic movies to but Blad Runner is a good one I will be looking for now. Alread looking for Halloween and have Star Wars of course.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The Criterion editions of The Game and Trainspotting are definitely worth getting. Both have extras not contained on the DVDs including commentary and deleted scenes (The Game has an alternate ending).

I'm not one that's crazy about extras. I like them, but their inclusion isn't a prerequisite for buying the movie. But, in the case of my favorite films, which these two certainly are, I enjoy and want them a little more than normal.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
If you like Scorsese you must get Criterion's CAV

version of Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.

Commentary by the director and great background info.

If you like Hughes Brothers you must get Criterion's CAV

version of Dead Presidents and Menace II Society.

If you like Coppola you must get Criterion's CAV

version of Bram Stoker's Dracula.

(Not sure of what will be on the planned SE DVD??)

If you like Welles you must get Criterion's

version of Magnificent Ambersons and Othello.

Commentary and great background info.

Criterion's CAV version of Citizen Kane has nice extras.

Welles' Macbeth on Republic LD and Universal's version

of Touch of Evil (so you can compare changes on DVD).

Many Miramax movie only titles on DVD have great

counter parts on Criterion LD.

Evita, English Patient, Prince of Tides

If you like musicals;

Show Boat 1936 B&W version Criterion

Show Boat 1951 Color (The Complete Show Boat Box Set) MGM/UA

King & I (Box Set) 20th Cent./Fox (SE DVD someday??)

New York, New York (Box Set) MGM/UA (DVD someday??)

Drama;

One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest (Box Set)

(Audio Commentary, Documentary, Trailer, Commemorative Book)

Jules Dassin's Brute Force and Naked City both have comm.

only on the Roan Group LD.

Animation;

Who framed Roger Rabbit with commentary

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For Stephen King fans, the Golden Years series is on LD in its entirity, while the DVD is the cut-together version.
could someone please tell me what that means?

is the dvd version cut or or just cut without thew commercial breaks?

C

Christina_V

Yeah....what does that mean about the dvd version of Golden Years?
I saw it at BB for only $15,which i think is a good deal condiering how long it is & didn't even know it was on dvd.
I caught the mini-series when it first premiered....then rented it on video a couple years later...though i was only like 12,but they both seemed the same with no changes ect.
So whats the diff. between the LD, dvd & Tv showings? IMDB.com says the video version contains additional footage not shown on tv + i think has the same 232mn runing time as the vhs.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm just found this old thread by accident in search for something else.

so has anyone ever come up with anything on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks