What's new

What is your favorite Ice Cream and how much can you eat in a sitting? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I like Blue Bunny but my general go-to brand is Yarnells. It was a family owned regional (pretty much Arkansas only) brand that went under a couple of years ago and was recently brought back with the original recipes. Blue Bunny filled the gap while it was unavailable. While I enjoy lots of flavors (a vanilla/orange sherbet swirl, like a Creamsicle, is available at one store and it's fantastic) my preferred is chocolate with nothing added to distract. I can easily eat a half gallon per sitting but usually limit it to about 1/2 quart. The first time my daughter-in-law asked my son to fix her a bowl of ice cream she about had a stroke over the amount in the bowl! She thought it would be a "scoop or two" and he took her the typical 1/2 quart serving we tend to get. :)

If we're travelling to see my son in Amarillo we *always* stop at Braums along the way and make a point to visit a few times while we are in town. We are in Braums country for several hours of the trip (across OK) and always stop to eat (they have pretty good burgers too) and get ice cream. It's very good and the prices are incredible (a very large single scoop is ~$1.25).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
For anyone in my area (Connecticut, and I guess only as far south as Yonkers, NY) -- I can recommend Stew Leonard's ice creams (yes, especially the vanilla). The ones in the pint containers. There might be others, but the pints are the premium selections.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm surprised with all the negative talk about Breyers. Bryers is my favorite store brand with mint chocolate chip as my favorite followed by Vanilla bean. We get BB and Turkey Hill from time to time but they all taste the same to me. Breyers seems so much creamier. Does BB have mint chocolate chip without the green food coloring? I won't touch it if it's green. Now I'll tell you the best ice cream I've ever tasted so far and that would be Lapp's Ice Cream in Lancaster County, Pa. They make their ice cream right on the farm from their own cows. Boy is it creamy! They have an ice cream stand at Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse, Pa (no jokes please). So if you're in the area, check it out.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
And just a couple towns over is Blue Ball.
So if you can't make it to Intercourse, you'll just have to settle for Blue Ball!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My favorite is Baskin Robins World Class Chocolate. If I just decided to let go, I'm sure I could eat a gallon with out a problem. Ice cream is nature's most perfect food. (Yeah I know you shouldn't modify perfect).

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I love just about all ice cream....this is definitely one of my favorites:

MoolliniumChocolateChip_box.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We were in Whitefish, Montana one night last week during a trip to Glacier National Park. We visited Sweet Peaks Homemade Ice Cream shop. It was quite tasty... although MOOmers in Traverse City, Michigan is still my favorite. I tried the mint chocolate chip.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just got back from Dairy Queen...love their soft serve. I don't know of anything like it store bought. (It makes me happy too that they're again serving their Blizzards upside down. That blew my mind 30 years ago, when I first got one as a kid, and they brought it out wrong-side up.)

I'm unfamiliar with Blue Bell. This thread suggests I'm deprived and need to get some :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Haagen-Dazs Rum Raisin & Cherry Garcia.
Ben and Jerry's Heathbar Crunch.
Beale's Caramel Pecan sugar-free.

All to die for (and I may).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I got Eddy's french vanilla churned style earlier this year and couldn't believe how tasty it was. I just ate and moaned like Christina Ricci in that movie.

I have high sugar so I have to be careful. My usual favs are:

Blue Bunny. Sugar free
-Bunny Tracks (my #1 choice)
-Banana Split (awesome for low sugar shakes too)
-turtle Sundae (just fun)
-the rest of their sugar free flavors (in a pinch)

It does remind that sugar free does not mean it won't make you fat! lol But at least NO sugar doesn't mean it has to taste that way. I once bought Walmart brand sugar free ice cream sandwiches. .....once.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Actually failed a job interview based on ice cream.

Group interview with about ten others for a medical lab position. One of the questions was something about what ice cream flavor we would like.

I said I didn't really care for ice cream, but would go with whatever the group decided. Thought that was a nice, generic answer.

Didn't make the cut based on that one answer. Apparently some psycho-babble mumbo jumbo and I didn't fit their philosophy.

I'm more of a chocolate/vanilla pudding or yogurt kind of guy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
:blink:I could only see that question making any real sense at an ice cream company.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
:blink:I could only see that question making any real sense at an ice cream company.
This truly happened. My first thought was WTF does ice cream have to do with a med lab position. I would have been testing blood and other body samples.

Maybe it was some goofy "can you be a team player crap" or some other weird psychology garbage that put me into the serial killer category.

Sorry to take this semi off topic, but what the hell does your favorite ice cream have to do with a job interview?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Vanilla Peanut Butter (not peanut butter cup) from Welsh Farms which is a local NJ brand..

My other favorite is Maine Black Bear from Giffords...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Had a trip back to upstate NY, and got some Abbott's Frozen Custard. I loved that stuff when I was in grad school. Not my favorite these days, but it's up there.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Chocolate Chip has been my favorite since childhood. I remember hearing years ago that Chocolate Chip was the number one flavor in the U.S.A. That seems to have changed with all the various flavors and combinations flooding the market. Also, it seems brands have gone for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough in place of good ol' regular Chocolate Chip and it is harder to find these days. As for how much I can eat in a sitting, I've never entered an ice cream eating contest but I am usually satisfied with a single scoop cone or double scoop bowl.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As a kid what turned me off to chocolate chip was the chips used in the ice cream. I expected them to be like the Nestle morsels used in cookies and on some level I've never gotten over it. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread