What's new

What is Wrong with my Sub??? I'm Going Crazy! (1 Viewer)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII, going into an Integra Research RDC-7.

I recently moved, and since I moved, for some reason, I now am getting a very annoying on-again off-again (though mostly on) buzz coming out of the sub.

IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

It is loud enough to drown out any normal TV or music, no matter what the volume on the sub is. When the buzz goes away, everything sounds great.

I really have no idea, but here are some options:

1. Bad subwoofer cable (I'm using a Monster M-Series cable)
2. Problem with my pre-amp (if so, what?)
3. Problem with the sub (if so, what?)
4. Something else???

Thanks in advance - I'm really losing sleep here!

David

David Sim

Agent
I am not an expert but it sounds like ground loop to me.
You can stop it with a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack if this is the problem.

Try testing the polarity of the outlet you have your sub plugged into also.
I read that some people had to put their three pronged plug into a two prong converter to get it to stop.
(Probably not a good idea)

While reading a review on this sub I read a post by someone who had to tighten the nut behind the volume control to stop the buzz on his?? (audioreview.com)

I know how annoying not being able to isolate a problem is.

Good luck!

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I've been messing around with the cables, and it seems that the problem gets much better (but not completely gone) with a regular audio cable. Maybe this means that there is a problem with my sub cable?

It may be a ground loop, but my experience with groud loops in the past is that the buzz always stays exactly the same with a ground loop, whereas here the buzz comes and goes.

David

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
this may sound silly, but are you 100% certain it's coming out of the sub itself?

reason I ask is, when I first got an SVS and set it up temporarily in the office, when I first fired it up there was also an annoying buzz which came and went.

I later found out it was actually the bass causing a formica-clad cabinet door to rattle slightly at certain frequencies and volumes, and when the formica surfaces rattled it sounded like a buzz. leaving the door ajar cured the problem.

since you say the buzz comes and goes, perhaps you have a similar problem?

David Sim

Agent
If you look at some of the reviews for this sub, other people have had the same problem.
One of the reviewers even mentioned that the problem started with his after he moved. The wiring was older in his new home.
Here is a link to the reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks