1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What is up with DVDA and SACD CONTENT?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Patrick Larkin, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

2. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Al - I'm sure I would enjoy Heathen to some extent. I said the same thing with Tin Machine for about a month. Its nothing against Bowie - I think he is brilliant and I absolutely see him as a major influence but his later work just doesn't do anything for me.

Lee - thats one Beck CD. and Gaucho has been on DVDA for what? 2 years?

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've been saying "Heathen" is my favorite Bowie album since "Scary Monsters", but I actually think it's just a tad better than "Scary Monsters". And Beck's "Sea Change" is even better that that IMO, and my reference disc for multichannel "pop" recordings.

For upcoming "new" titles, I'm most looking forward to the Sigur Rós, Aimee Mann and the Jayhawks. Peter Gabriel's latest ought to sound pretty damn amazing in hi-res surround, too.

"Gaucho" has only been out on CD and DTS. No DVD-A that I'm aware of (though I think there's a good chance it may get both an SACD and DVD-A release).

4. Patrick Larkin

Rich - And to use Peter Gabriel as an example. Do you believe that Peter Gabriel's recording quality, mixing technique, and his overall palette he's working with screams for hires/MC music more than say Jefferson Airplane? That is what I've been trying to say. New is good in many cases. [​IMG]

Yes - Gaucho=DTS.

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Patrick,

Yes there will be an odd release or two without major corporate backing (as I said, I bought one, from an even more obscure band). However, they are few and far between because of the lack of access and resources, and corporate music generally stinks these days.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

7. Patrick Larkin

So why not Coldplay instead of Heart??

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, that's it. If they're bringing the Airplane to SACD, then I'm dumping my player.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Screenwriter

I understand where Patrick is coming from.

I stop listening to "classic rock" years ago. It's just so overplayed, and you get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. Listening to it during that time was fine, but my tastes have changed as I got older.

I don't have a problem with jazz and classical re-releases, because they aren't considered "popular music" - so I was never bombarded with it.

I'd like to see more quality current artists released and less emphasis on the old rock titles.

Perhaps Sony and Warner are realizing that sound quality isn't as important nowadays as it used to be (at least in the music world). There's alot of compression and artificial/sythesized sounds on these over-produced recordings today. The youth of today are more concerned with MP3 and home theatre than they are with quality sound of recordings. I suspect that this is where Sony and Warner are basing their choice of titles to release in hi-rez on.

11. Patrick Larkin

Because we weren't discussing jazz let alone Polish jazz. [​IMG] Jazz is a whole other argument.

We were discussing why the industry feels it necessary to release buckets of "classic rock" and not release something like Coldplay who won 2 Grammys, is a critical success as well as a sales success? And Coldplay is but one example of very talented new bands that aren't being represented.

But I suppose the argument concerning demographics is valid. Too bad.

12. Patrick Larkin

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

14. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

15. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

16. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

17. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Screenwriter

18. Tony Casler

Tony Casler Agent

The assumptions being made in this thread are wrong and very insulting. It seems that this discussion has turned into a "Damn kids..." gripe session. I am 21, and I am very strongly interested in the new formats. I own a Pioneer DV-47Ai, and a fairly nice 7.1 system with full range speakers all around. I have put a considerable portion of my meager military salary into my sytem, and it would be nice to have more than a half-dozen DVD-A/SACD discs to use on it. The recording industry needs to get on the ball and start releasing some newer music, even if it means we all have to push past some Britney Spears crap to get to the good stuff. Neither format will take off without popular support.

And, for the record, I do not listen to MP3. [​IMG]

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick asked: