What's new

What is Ultimate Electronics all about? (1 Viewer)

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
We're getting a one of their stores here at the end of October. How does it compare to BB or CC? I'm hoping for the best.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
To me its kind of like a nicer Circuit City. Nicer, Cleaner looking stores, Sales people wear suits. Maybe some higher end electronics. Its always good to have another store in town. When I bought my projection TV I had all 3 of them try to out bid each other kind of like buying a new car, going from dealer to dealer.

Greg

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's like Silo/Good Guys/Soundtrack.

They have some high end, some low end but don't carry any software. They do carry some decent brands and their prices are competitive. They will price match.

The first few days they should have quite a few sales people there so don't be turned off if it acts like a car lot. Ours has calmed down quite a bit.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Thanks guys! I thought that might be the case. Their store is going in at an upscale shopping center next to a Bed,Bath, and Beyond. Looking forward to the competitive scenario and price matching:)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Do you by chance live in Austin? I am awaiting the stores opening to see what kind of good stuff they have.

I will not look forward to the traffic generated from the Wallyworld though.:frowning:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
We got a few in DFW. I'd say it's low-mid to high-mid. For instance, they carry the good Yamaha line of receivers, not the low end ones you find at BB and other chains. They're roughly equivalent to what some of the Tweeter's carry, but bigger I think. It's all A/V gear though, I don't think they carry other household appliances like you find at BB or CC. I believe they have Klipsch, Infinity, and some other good quality speakers. They usually have a huge selection of TVs also. Overall I think it's a pretty good store.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Jeff, I'm not in Austin, I'm a bit north in Kansas. All we have here are 2 BB, 2 CC, and a couple of higher end M&P's.
I have always heard about Tweeters and Good Guys but have not had the chance to shop there. It will be good to have another place to cruise.

Eric*B

Agent
I just bought my Mitsu 55"RPTV from the Ultimate Electronics here in Tulsa. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. The sales people are commissioned, so it can be a bit like walking onto a car lot (the wolves prowl the aisles ;) BUT, I recommend finding a salesperson you want to work with and develop a relationship with them - they DO want your business (some of the big chain stores like BB seem to have a "buy it or don't we don't care" attitude).

I figure out what I want, call my guy at Ultimate and tell him what I want and how much I think is a fair price and they usually meet the deal. The salespeople are VERY well trained at our store - I got a thorough demo on my Mitsu set before buying it - Ultimate was the only place I could find anyone willing to show me video from several different sources on an RPTV - most places just want to show you a looping demo CD (all in high def of course!).

Another thing I like about Ultimate is that you can demo ANYTHING in the store. If you want to check out somethign that's not hooked up, they'll pull one outta the box. Another plus is that unlike some of the budget-mega stores, all of the demo rooms have functioning equipment.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I've done a lot of business there over the years....they are the only one I know of around here that carry Definitive Technology speakers (my favorites).

I got my RP91 there, along with my Denon 2801.

One thing I like is that they tend to keep there sales staff around; I always go to the same guy, and he knows me and gives me some better deals than if he didn't.

Dave P Lewis

Auditioning
Ron, do you have an opening day for the Kansas store or the one in eastern Independence? I'm looking for some speakers and would like to check them out rather than going online.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Whats up guys? I acctually work for ultimate electronics, we are soundtrack in colorado springs. I am happy to hear that everyone has had a good experience there.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I live in Tulsa too...the UE here sells DVDs now. But the funny thing is most of them are FULL SCREEN. I asked the guy why all the full screen DVDs when they sell so many wide screen TVs. Kinda looked like Wal Mart. The guy was clueless, all he could ask is if i work for the competition. also my TV model was $500 more at UE than it was at CC and i was able to talk the guys at CC down 200 more for my Sony, saved $700 right there. Course we are lucky here, CC, UE and BB are all in 1 mile of each other or less.

BillySmith

Grip
rickER, That's how it is here also. I don't really shop at UE because of the higher prices on the same item compared to BB or CC.

Brian E

Screenwriter
They used to be known as Audio King here in MN. I've had both good and bad experiences there, just like most other stores. The last few visits I've made have been better than in the past. They carry some BB/CC level stuff, but lots of their stuff is the next step up.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
It's much nicer than BB. No appliances, furniture etc. 3 or 4 listening rooms. It's not a regular store such as BB, more like circuit city. That old clunky business model where you have to have a salesperson ring up the sale and then go to the office counter with them, pay and then wait for the item to come rolling out a chute. Feels like your in a time warp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks