What's new

What is this decade called? (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Dennis Nicholls wrote (post #2):

and leave the -spelling for the modal verb (although they are pronounced the same in SAE).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Which I know perfectly well, of course. For some reason I just had a brain-fart while composing that post. However, the problem remains. People still use "the 1900s" to mean all years starting with "19" (that is to say, the last year of the 19th and the first 99 years of the 20th centuries), rather than the 10 year span from 1900 through 1909. So the usage is still ambiguous, which was my point - admittedly expressed in the form of a giant and incredibly obvious mistake. :)

Regards,

Joe

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I don't have nearly the creativity to think of a whole new word. Where is Milton Sirotta when you need him?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And I always thought Jethro was a double-naught spy! :D

...who was always good at his gazintas.

Two gazinta four two times.

Two gazinta ten five times...
:laugh:

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
New Millenium works for me. It isn't like that will duplicate itself anytime soon. Then for 2100-2110 it would just be the Twenty-one Hundreds.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham

No, Dennis, I want to call it the "Wicked Pissah Aughts" (pronounced "ahts", of course). :)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Naught is never used when referring to the zero or zeroes in a year. In fact, naught is almost never used in colloquial english, except when referring to "nothing."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Precedent suggests the 2010s, like the 1910s, rather than the "teens" (which would only run from 19/20 13 to 19/20 19 in any case - six years, not ten.)

Regards,

Joe

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hm. Never heard of 1911-1920 called the "1910's", but I'll defer to you since you have been a member here since the year I was born. ;)

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Even with all of those names from the wiki entry including a viral campaign actually trying to make an effort to spark a name has done dittly after 8 and a half years. Historians will figure it out eventually. :)

The next decade will be interesting yet again. I just can't wait until we have a repeat of the "roaring 20's."

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I thought I would bump this thread being as we are in the last year of the 00s. I still haven't heard a name catching on yet. Has anyone else?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think that, in retrospect, we can all agree on "The Oh-Ohs" as the most appropriate name.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(Sorry, just came back from looking at my 401(k) - make that my 200.5(f) - statement.)

Regards,

Joe

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Are you sure?
Decades work just like centuries.
The 20th Century did not end until 2001 began.

I just had this uncomfortable troll-like feeling go up my spine. ;)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Only the most pedantic would try to argue with a straight face that, for example, 1990 was part of "the Eighties" but 1980 was not. Just give it up
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

If it makes you feel any better, consider that the Gregorian calendar was first adopted in 1582. As a consequence, that year was 10 days short: only 355 days. Before then, it was just one screw-up compounded on another. If a year can be short a few days, then the first century can be short one year, and go from AD 1 to AD 99. Now everything lines up.

And here's another way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks