What's new

What is the future of 3D? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
I have just started to assume that 3D was included in most HDTV sets. I never really went out to stores to look.

Well, based on a recent report from NPD, it looks like that isn't the case and that one could question how likely 3D HDTV sets will become prevalent.

NPD has reported that nearly 30% of LCD TV panels shipped worldwide this year will be 3D compatible. 3D HDTV has failed to catch on in the US as quickly as anticipated with only 12M 3D HDTV's sold in the US thus far.

Sales in the US for 3D HDTV sets are slowing. While sales surged 32% in 2012, they only grew 5% in Q1 of 2013. Consumer polled by NPD, only 14% expect to buy a 3D HDTV, down from 25% in 2011.

Conversely, this downward trend is not occurring in Asia, particularly in China where the government is subsidizing content in 3D. Note that China just stopped a subsidy program for consumers to purchase LCD HDTV's, thus causing the worldwide glut in LCD panels.

Add to that ESPN is stopping 3D coverage by EOY. On 7/5/13, BBC announced that they would stop 3D broadcasting indefinitely based on "lack of public appetite" for 3D. Ten Network, which owns the Australian rights for the 2014 Olympics in Russia has no plans for 3D. NBC still hasn't announced plans on if they will cover the 2014 Olympics in Russia in 3D.

However, there are still supporters. Discovery, Sony and IMAX are still doing content in 3D.

Whatever side of the fence you are on, there still is the glasses issue. For me personally, I get a headache with active glasses. I don't with passive glasses, with are typical in movie theaters. Toshiba has introduced glass free versions of 3D HDTV, but the viewing angles are severely restricted. The cost of these sets is also currently very expensive, ringing in around $10K in Europe last year.

Have you bought a 3D HDTV? If you have, do you actually watch 3D content? If you do, what percentage of your viewing time is spent watching 3D?

I haven't bought a 3D HDTV yet because of the glasses issue. There also isn't enough content out their for me to have 3D be a purchasing decision. I way much more on the video quality of the set.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The only new ex-cinema releases I now purchase on Blu-ray are those in 3D.
3D makes a huge difference, as it fully emerges you and places you smack bang in the middle of the action. 2D just doesn't do that.

For full emergence I suggest you trial the Sony OLED personal 3D viewer which is really incredible and easily one of the best 3D experiences available.

As far as Spectacular Action, Animation, Scenic Documentaries, etc, give me 3D every time.

I now have close to a hundred Blu-ray 3D titles and I'll keep ordering them as long as they keep 'em coming, which glancing at the release schedule looks healthy for the immediate future.

Even as a senior citizen with well worn and weary eyes I have absolutely no problem with the active or passive glasses.
As for the glasses making you look nerdy, who sees them in the dark?

The anti 3D media has thrown up a lot of negative, misleading and ignorant comments which has not helped the 3D cause.
I get so frustrated and angry at the oft repeated "There is little to watch, as there are only just a few 3D titles available on Blu-ray" :angry:

I can't wait for "The Great Gatsby","Wizard of Oz", "House Of Wax", and many, many others - all coming this year in fabulous 3D. :3dglasses:

My next big purchase is a 65"4K-3D Compatible TV. Pity that the 85" is well out of my reach, But, Hey! where's my Lotto ticket?

Doug.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I purchased my first 3D projector this year but it has seen very light 3D use, its more of an exhibition feature than anything. The active glasses do require constant mental reminders to relax ones focus while viewing and light reflections on the inside of the lenses are very distracting. The effect is very cool but the technology is very flawed and not really something I would spend a premium to own (like on the outrageous prices of 3D blu rays). Its a cool experience, and on my rig vastly superior to anything youll experience in a commercial 3D environment, but still not really ready for prime time.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I don't mind 3-D in the cinema providing it was originally shot in that medium.Faux conversions are a travesty which I suspect will eventually kill the whole 3-D resurgence....but for home use? No interest whatsoever.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm not sure it will flop in total, if the first response is any indication i'm sure it can have a niche use for years to come.

In my own case i never really bought into 3D when i was younger nor do i now. I went to see some films in 3d in theaters and some not, didn't really make any difference. I assume the 3D market suffers in the same vain as to why blu-ray has, in that a lot of people just don't care. When you've got a scale of people going "this makes everything better" and those saying "it doesn't really make me feel any different" you get a niche. By the numbers stated here i assume it's a decent one that will survive for a long period. As long as enough people are putting out the support, there will be demand.

If some people want to enjoy films in 3D in their home, i don't see why they shouldn't be able to have the option.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When I was a salesman, the only people that were interested in purchasing a 3D TV were mostly young, might have children, had the extra money for the set and thought that 3D was cool. The people that did not have any interest in 3D:
• Looking for a TV 40 inches or smaller which don’t have the impact that a larger set has when watching 3D. • Think DVD’s and SD broadcasts (even though you have to stretch the 1.33:1 image) look fine – no interest in HD.• 3D gives them a headache• 3D makes them sick to their stomach• They can’t see 3D• They want the cheapest TV – none of them have 3D as an option• They wear glasses and are waiting for glass free 3D.
I have a 55 inch Sony 3D TV (which I received for free) and a Panasonic AE8000 3D front projector. Almost all of my 3D viewing is on the projector as it has the greater 3D impact (138 inches wide for 2.4 content). I did watch parts of the Olympics in 3D. Mostly watch Blu-ray 3D and some free On Demand 3D movies on Showtime and HBO.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
3D in concept is great. But until it is available without glasses and with reasonable viewing angles it will remain a niche product or a relatively unused feature on high end displays.

When glasses free, wide viewing angle 3D does arrive, I'll be in the market.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I still don't understand what the main objection is to wearing 3D glasses.
Both my Wife and I wear normal glasses and the new light weight 3D glasses sit perfectly and comfortably over them.
Neither of us have any problem watching 3D, in fact we love it.
Once absorbed into the movie we're not even aware that we are wearing them.

While understanding that some people do have eye problems and their complaints are legit, I get the feeling that a large number of objections are from people who just don't like the idea of having to wear any kind of glasses period. Why?

I'm sure the future may hold possibilities for perfected, glasses free 3D, but why wait - you are presently missing out on a wonderful and fantastic 3D experience.

Doug.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
RolandL said:
When I was a salesman, the only people that were interested in purchasing a 3D TV were mostly young, might have children, had the extra money for the set and thought that 3D was cool. The people that did not have any interest in 3D:
• Looking for a TV 40 inches or smaller which don’t have the impact that a larger set has when watching 3D. • Think DVD’s and SD broadcasts (even though you have to stretch the 1.33:1 image) look fine – no interest in HD.• 3D gives them a headache• 3D makes them sick to their stomach• They can’t see 3D• They want the cheapest TV – none of them have 3D as an option• They wear glasses and are waiting for glass free 3D.
I have a 55 inch Sony 3D TV (which I received for free) and a Panasonic AE8000 3D front projector. Almost all of my 3D viewing is on the projector as it has the greater 3D impact (138 inches wide for 2.4 content). I did watch parts of the Olympics in 3D. Mostly watch Blu-ray 3D and some free On Demand 3D movies on Showtime and HBO.
I have no interest in 3D, and I DO NOT fit any of your categories. I have two 1080p displays: A 55" flat panel and a projector with a 106" diagonal screen.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Doug Bull said:
Both my Wife and I wear normal glasses and the new light weight 3D glasses sit perfectly and comfortably over them.

While understanding that some people do have eye problems and their complaints are legit, I get the feeling that a large number of objections are from people who just don't like the idea of having to wear any kind of glasses period. Why?

I'm sure the future may hold possibilities for perfected, glasses free 3D, but why wait - you are presently missing out on a wonderful and fantastic 3D experience.

Doug.

Not all 3D glasses are created equally and its not always just a matter of "having to wear glasses." Matter of fact glasses from some manufactures are overpriced, heavy, uncomfortable, have a small field of view, create flicker, or create a serious loss of brightness and/or color accuracy. Ive seen some 3D glasses that solved most of these problems but sadly most 3D glasses are not interchangeable from manufacture to manufacture. There are universal 3D glasses but often they result in an even greater loss of brightness. If you are perfectly satisfied with your 3D glasses experience odds are good you do not do 3D on a large front projection system and/or in full 1080p.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Doug Bull said:

Doug.

I totally agree. If we were talking everyday casual, the TVs on but doing more than just watching.....the glasses are a pain, but for watching an occasional movie, who cares? we wear sunglasses outside for crying out loud! why a big deal to wear them while watching a movie?

I don't want to wear glasses to watch a movie but, for me it would be silly to make it a deal breaker. 3D has got us back to going to the theaters, and buying blurays.

I blame our media for the reason 3D has taken off faster every place else but the in U.S. The majority have poo pooed it from the start. The media has more power than most are willing to admit.......ya, I know you don't listen to them, your 3D hate comes from your own experience.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
+1 on the prior two posts.

That comment seems to have been made by the same type of people I buy stuff from CL and Ebay...6 months after they bought and the lease is up on their apartment and their truck needs a new starter so they can move.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I'm stumped? What is so hard to believe about somebody enjoying stereoscopic 3D enough to get them to the theater to see it??

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
That comment seems to have been made by the same type of people I buy stuff from CL and Ebay...6 months after they bought and the lease is up on their apartment and their truck needs a new starter so they can move.

You couldn't be further off base if you tried.....

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I'm stumped? What is so hard to believe about somebody enjoying stereoscopic 3D enough to get them to the theater to see it??
Please provide proof as everything I have read indicates 3D has had the exact opposite effect for movie-goers. If its a statement from a fanboy then fine but dont be surprised if most, as the technology stands now, don't belly up to the bar with your same enthusiasm ;)

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Type A said:
Please provide proof as everything I have read indicates 3D has had the exact opposite effect for movie-goers. If its a statement from a fanboy then fine but dont be surprised if most, as the technology stands now, don't belly up to the bar with your same enthusiasm ;)

So if you don't agree with somebody's opinion, it must be from a fanboy? What exactly is it you wan't proof of? Which movie-goers did it have "the exact opposite effect" on?

I couldn't care less whether you care for 3D or not, but don't act as if nobody likes it.....That's what ridiculous!

Here is a poll that will prove that there are actually people (not just me) ,on both sides of the fence, since you were apparently unaware. :huh:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438341/3d-in-the-home-do-you-care

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks