1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the discount rate is for distributors of video games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Joe Spratley, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Well-Known Member

Just curious what the discount rate is for distributors of video games? For example if a game is 49.99 what does EBgames pay for it?

2. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

The "trade price" for a videogame priced at $49.99 is usually around $35, of course with discounts off that for bulk buys by the large retailers.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Well-Known Member

Joe, please do not use teasers for your thread titles. If you want to people to respond use something descriptive to attract attention. Thanks.

4. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

I have also heard $30-$35 for $49.99 games.

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Well-Known Member

Its about 38-41 for most games. I worked a mom and pop and having people in the know at distributers to get this info.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Well-Known Member

7. Joe Spratley

I thought it would be lower like around $25 especially since the value drops so rapidly. Seems like stores could get caught with a lot of stock that is selling for less than they paid for it.

8. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Well-Known Member

It depends heavily whether you can buy directly from the publisher or if you're a small guy and you have to buy from a wholesaler. Also shipping and handling costs can be very heavy for the mom and pop operations. Let's put it this way, even outfits like EB with their bulk buying power make a hell of a lot more selling previously viewed games than they do from new titles.

9. Sean Moon

I can honestly tell you from knowing enough people in places like major retailers that buy in massive bulk, they still pay close to $40 per title. There are no revenue sharing agreements on video games like there are on rental movies. That is why usually you dont see many places have games on discount first week unless its something HUGE, becasue even at 39.99, some of these places are losing a dollar or so, but it gets you into the store.

10. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Well-Known Member

I concur with what Sean posted. Major retailers still pay close to $40 a game. With a 20% markup on software and a 2.5% markup on game systems, it's an extremely tough business. They do make a decent profit on accessories such as cables, controllers, and those extended warranties. Without the used game market, game-only retailers would be in a lot of trouble.

11. Sean Moon

Good rule of thumb, go into the mom and pop stores and look at their prices on games, usually they mark up about ten dollars. That is the consensus I got from knowing MANY people that own their own stores.

And yes, most places do make their money on the accessories and whatnot. Systems, usually people dont make a thing on them, maybe a dollar or two. Again, from the mom and pop days and from old jobs, I know that a PS2 that sold for $299, the store had to pay $297 to get it in the first place. That is why usually at system launch that places force you to buy bundles, otherwise they get nothing.

12. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

If retailers are paying $40 for games, then explain the Amazon/TRU buy 2 get 1 free sales. They'd be losing $20 on each set of 3 sold, and it's certainly not much of a loss leader since most people just grab the games and go. Plus, it's offered on their website, and I think there are ways to get people to look at a website without losing $20. If TRU took huge losses on this deal, it wouldn't have run for 3 straight years, leading me to think that the prices on games have to be closer to $30 than $40.

I think the lesser amount of games put on sale for $39.99 right at release is mostly reflective of gamers. The retailers probably learned that the hottest games would sell rather or not they discounted the game.

13. Joe Spratley

It seems like games only stay at their release value for 2 or 3 months and then drop over the course of the year till they reach $20-$25. I bought a number of games over the past year and haven't had a chance to play a large portion of them. I started thinking that if I just wait a few months to buy new releases then I could save a lot of money. Many of the games I have are on the $19.99 list that I paid $49.99 for.

14. Lance R

Lance R Member

$40-44 is about the normal cost for a Mom and Pop operation. The Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits/Gamers Choice titles come in at $16-$17. Most of the Mom and Pop stores I go to don't mark them up $10. Stores around here mark up the $50 titles only $3 to $5 (selling for $44.99 to $47.99. The used market is what saves the Mom and Pop stores. They'll pay $20 and charge $30 for the newest games. Of course so many games coming out drives down the prices in a hurry (as most won't be hits). Best Buy and EB must have to write off a lot for these stinkers (how else can they stock 40 or 50 copies of games like Enter the Matrix or Hulk which come out at $50 but drop to $30 or $20 in a hurry). Think about all of the sudden Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits/Gamers Choice titles. They certainly don't give the stores much insight as to what is dropping. Instead, most stores get "stuck" with titles they pay $40 something for and then must sell for $19.99. Look at the Best Buy ads every week. They are usually selling something at a loss (of course the video games companies usually put up some of the advertising $$$).

15. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member